Driver Seat Ecu repair DIY replacing 3.6V battery
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Driver Seat Ecu repair DIY replacing 3.6V battery

Driver Seat Ecu repair DIY replacing 3.6V battery

Hello world,

I'm new to this forum,

driving a 1995 Classic RR, I had the seat ecu memory not working anymore, over a year ago I took the whole unit out, and had it in my livingroom until enough dust covered it.

Well, a few days ago, I thought I'm gonna finaly order a new 3.6V battery, the blue little Varta one.
    I soldered the old battery out, and then thought, why not just replace the old battery with usual NiMh batterys?
    I found three 1.2 Duracells and soldered them together. See Pics:

Putting every thing back under the seat, I ran the calibration (Handbrake, Ignition on, press five times the green button, following 2112), see Video.

Cheers, Chris
    Last edited by corfuchris; September 30th, 2013 at 08:01 AM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Driver Seat Ecu repair DIY replacing 3.6V battery

And it all worked? Congratulations.
    Landrover - making mechanics out of drivers since 1948

1998 P38 4.6 litre auto

well, it worked for about 60km, then I smelled soldering and when I was back home I opened the box, and the red wire was disconected. I don't know if it's because of the 800mAh instead of the 100mAh from the original-battery, or if it's because of the corroded IC's... no idea.
    It's Land Rover, you fix a thing and then it works once or twice. Had the same with the Cruisecontrol, fixed it, it worked one day,since then, kaputt

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

The issue is that you put a NiMh instead of a NiCd. Don't mess with stuff you know nothing about They aren't compatible from a charging perspective.
    Get a replacement button cell on ebay and solder it into place.
    1993 RRC LWB 4.2L
    As of June 2013, about 119K miles

Hmmm, I wanted to order a battery like this one

It's written NiMH on it, that's why I thought I could take NiMH batterys and tryed it this way before ordering.... Good thing I didn't order the Mempac, it wouldn't work in the ecu

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I recently did this job when I swapped my interior with the one from my parts truck. I removed the battery from the board and dropped it off at Batteries Plus. $20 later they built the battery pack. Works flawless.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Spider, did you provide a new battery for your existing board to batteriesplus, or did you just drop off a battery and they built a whole new board? I have to get this done for my driver seat as well.
    Brian

'05 Westminster

FRESHMAN ROVER

I took the original to them and they built the identical battery. They stock the battery. I soldered it on the board myself.

ooops, I did it again.... but this time with NiCd Cells... (1400mAh)

works so far, only thing I don't know: How to program the Memory, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by UofRSpider View Post
    I took the original to them and they built the identical battery. They stock the battery. I soldered it on the board myself.
    Thanks Spider! Took mine to them Friday, turns out it's only $38 total for the new battery and the labor to solder it. Now let's just hope the corrosion around the battery hasn't ruined the leads.
    Brian

'05 Westminster

FRESHMAN ROVER

Good information. I just pulled mine out and as expected found the corrosion beneath the battery. It looks like the circuit board is not too bad, I had only lost a couple of functions. Not really wanting to pay $400 for the Proper Parts replacement how did you repair the circuit board itself? (I need to find a place to do that for me.) Does your seat work without the batteries installed, or are they necessary for any operation?

I over-rode the controls to get the seat to where both my teenage daughter and I could 'share' the position, so I have time on my side to try to fix this.
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Driver Seat Ecu repair DIY replacing 3.6V battery-img_2480.jpg  

Nebraska USA - mostly Lincoln, summers in Ogallala

Hello Hormel, From your photo that board doesn't look too bad. I repaired mine almost ten years ago, the seat smushed me tight up against the windshield one morning while I was driving to work The replacement battery was easy to find then using the numbers on the old battery and a google search. I had more corrosion. I cleaned the board very carefully removing all the corrosion and some of the copper track to the battery. Had to replace one of the small orange ceramic capacitors too. Used a silver metal paint pen with a fine tip which is sold to repair damaged tracks on circuit boards, purchased a second pen that is a clear sealer to cover the freshly painted track and the areas where the original track was fine but I had removed original sealer and surface corrosion (might have found these at Radio Shack, not sure now) and soldered in a new battery. I then sprayed it with a light coat of CRC SP400 Extreme Corrosion Inhibitor. I use SP400 all over my Rover; think it is much like Waxoyl. Electrical issues are getting fewer each year. My Memory seat has worked perfectly since then, the spouses #2 button settings are very different from my #1 settings. Hmmmm, I'm probably due to replace the battery again. Wonder if a soldered in socket and a compatible but replaceable battery would be better.

The repair is easy if you take your time, have good light and maybe a magnifier. **** eyes get tired as you get older .
    95 LWB RRC - Alpine White
    93 LWB RRC - Beluga Black... slowly becoming parts for the greater good
    76 Mercedes 240D - Light Ivory
    Still into air-cooled VW busses and consider the RRC down right sporty on the highway.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Sapelo Rover View Post
    Hello Hormel, From your photo that board doesn't look too bad. I repaired mine almost ten years ago, the seat smushed me tight up against the windshield one morning while I was driving to work The replacement battery was easy to find then using the numbers on the old battery and a google search. I had more corrosion. I cleaned the board very carefully removing all the corrosion and some of the copper track to the battery. Had to replace one of the small orange ceramic capacitors too. Used a silver metal paint pen with a fine tip which is sold to repair damaged tracks on circuit boards, purchased a second pen that is a clear sealer to cover the freshly painted track and the areas where the original track was fine but I had removed original sealer and surface corrosion (might have found these at Radio Shack, not sure now) and soldered in a new battery. I then sprayed it with a light coat of CRC SP400 Extreme Corrosion Inhibitor. I use SP400 all over my Rover; think it is much like Waxoyl. Electrical issues are getting fewer each year. My Memory seat has worked perfectly since then, the spouses #2 button settings are very different from my #1 settings. Hmmmm, I'm probably due to replace the battery again. Wonder if a soldered in socket and a compatible but replaceable battery would be better.

The repair is easy if you take your time, have good light and maybe a magnifier. **** eyes get tired as you get older .

hi folks
    i had the same problems with the seat ecu ..i change the battery...it was bad but there was not damage to the board ..i did the calibration test but nothing happend i could hear the several relays clicking but no movement at all ....before ,seat and mirrors worked in some directions but now nothing...the seat motors are ok and when use the driver seat switch i hear clicks at the ecu but no movement at the seat..when i use the passenger seat switch i hear nothing at the ecu and no movement at all .
    any help

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by corfuchris View Post
    ooops, I did it again.... but this time with NiCd Cells... (1400mAh)

works so far, only thing I don't know: How to program the Memory, any ideas?
    Put the seat in the position you want for preset one, press and hold the green button then press number one. Release both. Move it to position two, press and hold the green button then button two, release both. Done!!
    Ex 22SAS, 3.9 Vogue SE '95

Quote Originally Posted by bagospanners View Post
    Put the seat in the position you want for preset one, press and hold the green button then press number one. Release both. Move it to position two, press and hold the green button then button two, release both. Done!!

Just checked it out, and ........... works! Thanks mate!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now