ABS pump 1991
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: ABS pump 1991

FRESHMAN ROVER

ABS pump 1991

OK, very excited. I finally got my 1991 range rover classic started (250 KM on the OD). Bought it on a whim last year for $250 (CAD). It sat for over 2 years and when I got it going it ran beautifully. I even drove it around the back yard.I Do have a couple questions:

The biggest issue was the ABS light was on, I had no ABS braking at all and also after I ran the engine for about 10 minutes the ABS pump started smoking and smelt like burning rubber!!?? Any thoughts on whats happening there. I'm guessing I could replace but figured Id ask.

Also there are lots of things not working. HVAC fan, wipers, seats, some windows etc etc. Where can I find a nice clean schematic of the fuse panels so I can start figuring out what needing repairs?

On a side note, i'll most likely be looking to Range Rover parts so if you've got a wrecker and don't mind shipping please let me know.

I'm a D2 nerd and already deal immersed in thew world of Land Rover. I've always loved the RRC and I'm excited about bringing this back to life and having some fun with it.

does this thing have a diff lock? didn't see it on the high low shifter.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: ABS pump 1991

If the brake fluid is not depleting then it's not accumulating pressure to correctly run the brake system. It'll just keep running the pump continously like this (hence the hot pump) a bit like running an air compressor with the drain valve open.

You'd need to search for the accumulator diagnosis on here to work through it.

Diff lock, these years were mostly fitted with Borg Warner transfer case, this uses a viscous coupling "VC" across the centre differential so will lock itself on detection of slip between the two axles in order that the driver doesn't have to action anything to cope with getting stuck.

SENIOR ROVER

begin by downloading the rave, it is on the stickie.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks the the reply guys. I have downloaded the Rave. Would you suggest bleeding brakes and changing brake fluid as a started or should I be looking elsewhere? That was on my list of things to check and change anyway.

SENIOR ROVER

since it has sat for a while, it is a good idea to flush all fluids including breaking system. but, if abs pump does not buzz and or is inoperable and has failed it will not become operable with a flush.
    now if the pump has been low on fluid and it runs but it is noisy, a post flush refill may bring it back to life.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

FRESHMAN ROVER

If you need a new pump do the P38 conversion.

Get a hold of Rover Dude (John Gadd) in Garden Grove, CA. He’s very knowledgeable and ships. I also just had an ABS pump rebuilt in LA for under $300.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now