Tach and Temp Gauges INOP - not sure why??
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tach and Temp Gauges INOP - not sure why??

FRESHMAN ROVER

Tach and Temp Gauges INOP - not sure why??

Hello all

My '88 RRC has been running pretty well since tinkering over the past few months, and much thanks to all here. Two issues I'm still encountering that confuse me are that both my Tach and Temp gauges are inoperative. The rest of the gauge cluster works fine.

I thought these issues were related to an alternator change and failed internal voltage regulator. I was using an Ultima brand alternator (inexpensive) so I warrantied it out for another, still no Tach or Temp. Each time I replaced the alternator, I reused the capacitor looking things off the previous alternators that have wires connecting to the back of the alternator (one of which I thought was to control the Tach). I recently switched over to the Bosch alternator and switched out one of the capacitor things, but still no Tach or Temp.

Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this issue?
    If it is those capacitor things, where do I get the correct new ones? I didn't see them on AB and the local parts stores don't seem to know. They just tell me I have to reuse the old ones. The new one I got came with one of the alternator replacements but not two.

Also, I'm thinking about installing an auxiliary temp gauge. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Tach and Temp Gauges INOP - not sure why??

Tach is white wire to the W on the alt. Connect directly to it & see if you get your tach back.
    Temp could be bad wire or sensor. Check & clean connection. I think if you ground the wire gauge should go to the red.
    Aux temp gauge.... I went VDO and installed a new sender in the manifold to keep the stock gauge working too.
    Kevin
    88 RRC "Audrey"

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi Kevin, Thanks!

I guess I'm a little unclear, what is the W on the alt, and what am I connecting directly to it?

I've cleaned the connections so now I'm looking into alternatives such as this white wire to the W.
    Where in the manifold did you install the new sender?

Just noticed you're in Portland, ME. I used to live in Bridgton and worked throughout the region. Beautiful out there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

The posts should be labeled. On an original alternator the W post is the spade connector. Does your battery light in the cluster work?

When I rebuilt my top end, I tapped a new port into the manifold right above where the temp sensor is located. I installed the gauge into the dash to the right of the cluster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tach and Temp Gauges INOP - not sure why??-attachment-2.jpeg  
    Kevin
    88 RRC "Audrey"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now