Please help me understand this wiring
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please help me understand this wiring

FRESHMAN ROVER

Please help me understand this wiring

This is out of a 1993 RRC. Please help me figure this out. After spending several hours on my truck trying to diagnosed why it won't start I realized this wire may be the offender. The wire with the black connector and red dot was loose/broken from the end and came right out. Now, this is my question. There is a ring that connects to the chassis, so it is grounded. The wire with the black connector and red dot was connected to another wire with a 12v reading. There was no voltage reading coming out of the other black connector going into the coil? So, what kind of reading was I expected to get at the coil? 12v or simply ground? It does not make any sense to me. If am supposed to get 12v to the coil with this wire why is going to ground? what is the purpose of this design? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Please help me understand this wiring

I don't understand either, so went to look at mine to confirm what's installed.

Coil has two wires coming from distributor, one is volts + the other is switched volts negative. It's the negative that's switched by the ignition amplifier to trigger sparks. Overview is, with ignition on, volts + goes live to supply coil and ready to work, crank engine and the negative line will pulse to fire the the coil.

One other wire comes from low tension coil posts, this goes into the loom connected to MAF airflow meter and supplies a pulse count to the ecu in order that it can be informed of engine speed.
    It uses this for ecu function but also if no signal here then the ecu will switch off the fuel pump, think the lower threshold is 500rpm to cut fuel pump logic.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Here is a picture so you guys can see it, but it won't let me?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I saw your pic on dweb (https://discoweb.org/index.php?threa.../#post-1091649) and I've never seem this before. Looks kind of homemade. Maybe aftermarket capacitor?
    Kevin
    88 RRC "Audrey"

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. The capacitor is next to my coil on my truck. This wire must be something else. I'm puzzled, as the black connector with the red dot hooks to another 12v line, but there was no reading coming out of the other back connector that goes to the coil. Maybe the wire is broken somewhere within, which prevented the reading. Not sure..........

SENIOR ROVER

it is indeed the capacitor pigtail.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now