Leaking Rear Differential
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaking Rear Differential

NKG
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Leaking Rear Differential

Just wondered if anyone has seen this before. My 93 Range Rover Classic has a tiny oil leak from the rear pan, where there is no obvious place to leak from. The pan is welded on. The filler plug is dry. It seems like the diff might be split or rust has gone right through. There is no denying the leak so will have to do something. Just wondered if this might be common at this age.

Thanks
    1993 LSE 4.2ltr

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Leaking Rear Differential

Check the seal, usually won't leak unless it's being driven. Spray down the 3rd member with brake clean, recheck in a few days. Sounds like the pinion seal has started to seep, it's 26 years old, things are gonna start to leak. Pinion is tilted slightly up, so as when the seal leaks fluid will run down from the front, along the bottom and settle on bottom of axle/3rd member housing, giving the appearance of a leaking/cracked differential housing.

SENIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by IchWill View Post
    Check the seal, usually won't leak unless it's being driven. Spray down the 3rd member with brake clean, recheck in a few days. Sounds like the pinion seal has started to seep, it's 26 years old, things are gonna start to leak. Pinion is tilted slightly up, so as when the seal leaks fluid will run down from the front, along the bottom and settle on bottom of axle/3rd member housing, giving the appearance of a leaking/cracked differential housing.
    the O/P is mentioning the housing it self, not the hogs head or seal. yes I have seen leaks on the housing thru tiny developed fissures, cracks, rust holes and incomplete welds. some can be patched with jbweld, others can be welded sealed. any way you go the area needs to be cleaned of rust and paint as well as dry from any oils. clean and monitor before deciding on repair procedure.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

NKG
    FRESHMAN ROVER

...thanks guys. Yes a good clean up and then watch and see if I can find the actual leak. That is the next task.

Thanks
    Neil
    1993 LSE 4.2ltr

FRESHMAN ROVER

I had this on my lse, cleaned and fixed with metal filler.
    1997 P38 4.0 Se 2002-2013
    RRC LSE July 2014- now
    2006 Freelander ADV-TURER TD A 2008- now

NKG
    FRESHMAN ROVER

I thought these pictures might be of interest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leaking Rear Differential-img_4404.jpg   Leaking Rear Differential-img_4406.jpg   Leaking Rear Differential-img_4407.jpg  
    1993 LSE 4.2ltr

SENIOR ROVER

drain oil, clean area and if possible repair weld. if welding is not an option use some kind of epoxy as discussed earlier, some marine oriented will be excellent as it has ground metal in it's mix. (not sure what is available in the UK, in the US we have marine text boat hull repair epoxy).
    your axle housing of course has been rotted away by rust, worse case scenario you may need to replace complete housing and transfer all part or whole axle assembly, depending on how much work you want to do versus expense.

best of luck
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Looks like it's been in the sea! It could have been used for putting a boat in the water that would have exposed to to that environment.

You can get replacement cover pans for them through some of the UK independent LR parts suppliers. The old one can be cut out and replaced with that, but it would be much easier stripped out completely to do that.

If going to that level it may sway it to replace casing.

It's not that difficult a job to strip out on these, and you can then build up on bench to get everything sorted prior to install. About 1hr to remove, can replace original steel brake lines also if not already changed while it's out. If it

NKG
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm balancing a replacement verse a patch. I will probably try a patch and see how that goes, slightly worried if I patch it there will be multiple leaks very soon after.
    1993 LSE 4.2ltr

I would think a replacement
    Would be the thing
    As there is rusty
    And then there is your rear end
    Looks a little past rusty
    im an american i dont speak english

91 classic..it is now parts

92 lse... not a bucket of rust

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now