ABS Motor Suddenly Out
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ABS Motor Suddenly Out

FRESHMAN ROVER

ABS Motor Suddenly Out

Hi all,

ABS motor suddenly went out - I drove my RRC to the office yesterday and Monday just fine, but when I went to leave last night the brake motor failed to turn on.
    I've had times before where I have to turn the key to half-cock twice to get the ABS motor to engage, but the problem went away after more regular use.
    FYI the brakes and fluid were changed last year and only have 500 miles on them. Brake fluid reservoir is full, and brakes have been working fine up until yesterday.

Anyone experience this before? Any leads on what the usual culprits to check would be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: ABS Motor Suddenly Out

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago, you should be able to find the thread within the first couple of forum pages. It turned out to be a faulty pressure switch, the switch from the P38 pump assembly is a straight swap, $7 from my local breakers yard. If you jump the power supply to the pump at the relay connector block and the pump runs, there's a good chance the pressure switch has failed, I'd certainly try that first as there seems to be plenty of P38s getting parted out! My accumulator is also knackered, but that's another story.
    "What was that? An exhibition? We need emotional content!"

1995 Range Rover Classic SWB 4.6

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks MillSpeed, I'll put a brake pressure switch and a brake relay on order for now, and hook up a multimeter to see if things check out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER

there should be an "abs" relay, I think it is under left front seat. if failing it causes intermittent and abnormal performance.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

FRESHMAN ROVER

I've been able to find a new brake pressure switch on Amazon for just over $100 - it looks just like the one on an RRC, but says it's for GM vehicles; is this type of switch used on other vehicles?
    For example, the stepper motor on the RRC is identical to one found on a Chevy Astro, so I'm wondering if this is another case of parts sharing.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Before you buy another pressure switch, take the old one off and push the pin in and out several times. I have found there can be a fine build up of your older brake fluid. (Pushing it in and out cleans it out if you listen closely). Good luck...those pumps are expensive

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Okay, new pressure switch came in; installing it did nothing to solve my problems, except that now my ABS pump has a new shiny green piece on it.

FWIW I also checked the relays and fuses underneath the driver’s seat. From what I can recall, you can test a fuel pump relay by feeling whether it clicks when the ignition is turned on. I tried this on all of the relays and they all passed; the fuses looked good too. Not sure if it’s a valid form of testing though

Also, if I didn’t mention earlier, the parking brake light is permanently on. No codes are being displayed on under the passenger side fault-code screen either

Maybe you should bleed you brake
    Lines
    And don’t let this small problem
    Cause you to create another problem
    Focus on the brakes
    im an american i dont speak english

91 classic..it is now parts

92 lse... not a bucket of rust

SENIOR ROVER

time to break out your vhom meter, amp clamp and or your test light and verify the motor is receiving power. if so your motor may be dead, sometimes if you what on it it runs temporarily.
    also rave lists a way to check and clear for abs codes by using a jumper wire and brake light blink. the plug is blue under the left seat.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

FRESHMAN ROVER
    @95classiclwb holy crap it worked! Tapped the abs pump motor with a hammer and ignition on, the thing fired right up and hasn’t had an issue in the last 100 miles.
    Seems like the motor is going out, so I’ll order a new one and get that installed.

SENIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by shastacaster View Post
    @95classiclwb holy crap it worked! Tapped the abs pump motor with a hammer and ignition on, the thing fired right up and hasn’t had an issue in the last 100 miles.
    Seems like the motor is going out, so I’ll order a new one and get that installed.
    either a bushing or a bearing is worn out causing the brushes to hang up, either way it it just a temporary fix.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now