Input on new Shock/Spring set up
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: Input on new Shock/Spring set up

Input on new Shock/Spring set up

I have a 1991 RRC that I am replacing both shocks and springs

I already have a set of Bilstein B6 4600 for all four corners...what I need now is springs. I have seen that OEM chart by Jim Allen which is helpful but need a little real world input

Looking at NRC4304a red/white "police springs" for the rear, and NRC2119a green springs for the front which should give me ~+1-1.5" lift and stiffer ride.

Thoughts on this set up? ride quality etc. or suggestions? I don't want to go over +1.5" lift and this is an on road use only application.
    1991 RRC Vogue SE
    1995 Porsche 993 RS Tribute
    2011 MB 350 Wagon
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Input on new Shock/Spring set up

I've almost the same setup as you've stated. 1991, 3.9 Vogue SE, bilstein all round, fitted red/white NRC34304 to rear.

Mainly used on road, we load it quite heavily with family of four plus luggage for camping and ski trips. It would sit too low on rear when fully loaded to ride without compromising wheel travel. Opted for just rear uprating as didn't want to run with too much nose up attitude.

I really like the bilstein shocks, but acknowledge that some others feel they are too harsh in some circumstances. They have really good wheel and axle control though (it's this aspect that can give the "death wobble" of front axle) you won't get it with these.

Mine runs anti roll bars as std fit both front and rear, that along with the bilstein makes a very positive response in turning from left to right with very progressive body movement when transitions are made on varying turns. For one of these chassis I'd rate this as the best they get for on road use.

I'm looking for my notes on fitting the springs regarding wheel extension, from memory it was about 30mm 1 1/4" ish raise unladen on measurements from hub centre to wheel arch. It doesn't really feel significantly harsher when unloaded but carries max load better, the bilstein also do well to control compression and extension when you get kind of wave form road surface situation. In other words it doesn't get loose and floaty.

We didn't need to change the front as it would then ride too high that end when fully loaded for our use. Std rears are green rated so you can experiment by swapping those onto the front if needed.

Our green rears, removed, where exactly on spec length wise with no sag over age. 4304 springs where supplied by Britpart and complied with published spec. Been fitted for three years now with no apparent change or sag, they are a reasonable consideration for otherwise std vehicle.

We run it it quite fast on long trips and loaded up. It's really good stability wise even up around 90mph, very stable and calm. In "holiday mode" it'll be running with slightly downward rear stance as we carry too much gear really, but it copes really well.

We are also running larger tires on std rims for higher weight rating, Michelin Latitude Cross 255/65 R16 113H and really rate these. We don't run high pressures though, 25psi front and 28psi rear for general use light load, with rears at 32psi at max loading.

Thats really great info RRLondon....Thanks. I think I will run this set up as it seems we are both using the vehicle in similar ways.
    I'll have to replace the fronts as well so will experiment with the greens. I haven't decided on new tires yet, I still have some life left in the ones currently on the truck. I was in a discussion today about tires and also adding 30mm wheel spacers, so lots to consider.

I am just getting the RRC back on the road after a long winter of rust repairs, pretty much replaced all floors, sills, etc, etc.

If you are on instagram you can see the stance of the RRC at MEMPHISRRC and the progress on the rust.

Lots of work to do but mostly cosmetics from here on in now that I have a very solid foundation again and the engine is still in great shape. Suspension is sagging all over the place so that needs to be bumped up the do to list.

Thanks again for the confirmation!

Here is the spring chart

http://www.bilashakaflowers.com/LandroverSprings.htm
    1991 RRC Vogue SE
    2011 MB 350 Wagon

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

It would seem we are inhabiting a parallel existence in RR terms. Although at very different altitude

Ours just passed annual inspection after welding to front passenger foot area. Sills juuuuuuust scraped it this time, will need extensive surgery prior to next year's test.

It's obviously personal about using spacers on wheels, I prefer to keep original geometry as I don't like the effects of offset on steering feel and accuracy.
    Set like it is on ours it's very consistent for accuracy around the centre point. For example going downhill about 60mph on alternately curving road, the switch from left to right has no nervousness about it and doesn't feel like the back is trying to get past you. I value that above other elements as it doesn't get spooky or feel like a wheel is hooking you into any road irregularities spontaneously.

The tires we've used, although wider casing, have tread area not so exaggerated. Again, I like less shoulder emphasis so it doesn't feel like the tire is driving the vehicle. This one will run straight and true right up to absolute maximum speed and feel completely neutral.

All in all an interesting subject.

I always thought the stock D1 springs would be a good upgrade for a BOGE-less RRC looking for more capacity but staying close to stock height. The fronts are identical, but the rear are a progressive 210lb rate. I saved my D1's original springs for this exact purpose, but alas, my RRC sits on EAS.
    Tom P.
    1965 exMod IIa 109 2.25p
    1995 RRC LWB 4.2L w/EAS
    1996 Discovery SD - Sold
    2025 = my next LR ?

Little off the original topic but here's how deep we went on the floor repairs....Very extensive but done properly to ensure another 20+ years on the road.
    The existing suspension which I would bet is still original and the RRC in the Rocky Mountains prior to tearing into it.
    Input on new Shock/Spring set up-3bdba059-9ff3-4928-bc44-2819116a1e57.jpgInput on new Shock/Spring set up-img_3267.jpgInput on new Shock/Spring set up-img_3269.jpgInput on new Shock/Spring set up-cbhq-2kyryg3uwubbn5xcq.jpgInput on new Shock/Spring set up-img_2780.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Input on new Shock/Spring set up-fullsizeoutput_1a0.jpg  
    1991 RRC Vogue SE
    2011 MB 350 Wagon

Input on new Shock/Spring set up-6vetihverkgxa7xjk39xbw.jpg
    Decision made
    Red/White in the rear and Greens in the front
    1991 RRC Vogue SE
    2011 MB 350 Wagon