1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?

FRESHMAN ROVER

1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?

Its probably too soon to make a judgement call on which way to proceed...

I picked up a 94 today. Been sitting for 10 years in a driveway. Engine is locked up and I found extensive rust in the passenger floorboard and some in the passenger footwell. The passenger side was wet under the carpet, so I removed the insulation so it could dry out. All the wood trim is cracked/delaminated and peels of in large chunks. The vehicle has approximately 145K miles and supposedly has a bad steering unit for which it has sat for so long.

The paint is pretty much gone but the body is in good condition. There is some rust on the upper tailgate window and may be okay. The lower tailgate looks to be in good shape. As far as the engine, it won't turn over with a new battery, so I'm going to remove the spark plugs and squirt some oil in there and see if it will loosen up.

I don't know a single thing about Range Rovers. Its my first one for which I paid a princely sum of $200 USD. Cost me another $60 to get it towed to my home and $100 for a new battery. So far, I'm into this project for a total of $350USD.

I'm going to need help, although I don't know with what just quite yet as I've only spent a couple of hours inspecting it once I got it home. I need to remove the console so I can remove all of the carpet and insulation to determine the scope of the rust damage. This will probably be the deciding factor.

The engine being locked up doesn't bother me. I've built several engines so I'm not bothered by this one.

This is my 1st post, so I don't know if I have to have a certain number of posts before I can put up pictures, but as soon as I can I will.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Well if you do keep it and get it running
    You will have something awsome to drive on those great north Alabama mountains
    Once upon a time I spent lots of time around the scottsboro area
    Good luck with your Rover
    im an american i dont speak english

91 classic..it is now parts

92 lse... not a bucket of rust

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: 1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?

Welcone to the forum.

Sat me as you with the engine, plugs out, release oil of favourite type into bores and see if you can get it to turn. You could try a big strap wrench on front crank pully and put your foot against it sticking out below vehicle and guage response.

Steering box (main unit) is not hard to remove/refit but they are costly to replace. So you're looking for one pulled from a wreck to control costs. Faults are initially leaking oil, more significant is to get someone to rock steering wheel and put your finger next to input and successively the output arm to check for bearing movement. I

Judging the body. Start by looking at ALL the mount points that locate it to the chassis. It's where the sheet metal mount interfaces with the body shell that will cause you problems. If many or all are corroded it may give you terminal decision to that body shell. That's the most critical with trunk floor, rear arches internal, and as you've described, the front footwells falling into line after that. Decent assessment of this will tell you pretty soon which way the decision is pointing.

Brakes we'll get to after the above.
    Have fun.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Between locked up engine and rust and inevitable other issues (not mentioning cosmetics) this will not be a budget rebuild. Unlike 'domestic' cars parts are not as readily available in the US or in general. If you enjoy the journey of restoration go for it, if your patience and finances are stretched think again.

The locked engine is particularly a concern. I have been restoring RRC that sat for 20 years in a garage, the low mileage engine was free but there was some inevitable condensation in the bores. I rehoned the surface and installed new rings, but some black scoring and pitting was still visible in the bores. Although the engine runs fine with good compression my oil consumption is not great, not really a problem as I only do about 3000-5000 miles a year. Engines are delicate things and if you are looking at adding some significant miles a stuck engine is not a greatest start of your journey.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the concern guys! Appreciate it. I've got a long way to go and plenty of time to explore. 1st order of business is to remove the console and seats so I can get the carpet up and inspect the rust situation.

Wish me luck!

I got mine from a farm field where it had been sitting intermittently for ~6 years with occasional starting and driving just to keep it semi fresh. The rust was bad in the footwells, but if you are handy with a welder you can do a lot. You can buy just about every repair panel you need.
    For parts, getting them from UK suppliers is significantly cheaper than buying stateside.
    It sounds like you are mechanically competent. It wont be an easy task, but its feasible. Very rewarding bringing something back from the dead in my opinion. If the interior is really bad, you can chop the roof and make a nice little convertible or pickup/ute.
    1992 Range Rover Country SWB

Or maybe one of those bobtails

FRESHMAN ROVER

I started pulling the plugs on the motor to determine why its locked up. I used a borescope on the passenger side. The tops of the pistons look okay as far as I can tell. The drivers side is a different story. The 1st plug on the driver side is badly corroded and the top of the piston is heavily corroded. This may account for the engine seizing problem. I still have to remove the remaining plug on the driver's side to ascertain cylinder bore/piston damage.

Still trying to remove front seats and console to determine extent of rust situation. Seats don't move with a new battery. Could be fuses, but I don't have a manual to look these things up, yet. I believe there is a reference online so I need to check on that. It is looking more and more like this could be a part out. I don't want to be premature yet, but its not looking good...

FRESHMAN ROVER

The enthusiast in me says fix it because I hate to see these end up in the junkyard. The pragmatist in me knows that many parts are expensive or hard to find and can really add up fast.

I would also consider the mileage, wheelbase, and interior other than the wood in the decision. While expensive, the wood is actually one of the easier items to fix as it can be re-veneered even if it is in really bad shape.
    1993 RRC SWB Beluga Black
    1995 RRC LWB Alpine White
    1995 RRC LWB Avalon Blue

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I would base it on the extent of the rust & if you have good welding skills. Everything else is more or less easily fixed or replaced.
    For rust, check the sills, rear crossmember, rear wheel arches, and all body mount points... also rear cargo area.

There is a sticky with a link to the manuals. I do not think there is a specific one for 94 but the others will be close enough for now.

Good luck!
    Kevin
    88 RRC "Audrey"

To move the seats
    Unplug seat from under seat
    Long blue plug
    Apply 12 volt. + / - to the pins across from each other to move the motors in one direction
    Reverse + / - to make motors go in opposite
    Direction
    If you don’t have the rave here are some clues
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?-bc9d54be-9d56-4be1-8177-64913c543cb3_1559393370923.jpg   1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?-8d10991d-2902-4498-909b-dc02a8276c87_1559393393208.jpg   1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?-b260197c-802c-4d54-af4b-949792d72fb1_1559393418454.jpg   1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?-3a29668d-9936-42ac-bf61-ffc4c0a43dc7_1559393441605.jpg  

The 94 fuses and relays are a little different
    But Mostly the same
    You can google it and find them also
    With the soft dash is probably has more in common with the discovery

FRESHMAN ROVER

Mikieman - Appreciate the help and the references! Just what I needed. Thanks to you ALL! I will report on how things look in the coming day or two. Once I get past my 3 post count, it won't take so long to reply to this thread as I am still under the moderators control...

Hey, look at that! I'm no longer under the mods control! Great! Now I can update with pictures..

I will also just say one thing
    I grew up with shade tree back yard mechanics
    They would get a car truck motorcycle
    With locked motors
    They would pull the plugs and add some kind of penetrating oil
    Usual of there own concoction
    But it would loosen the motor
    And they would drive theses thing for years
    So if the motor is screwed they had nothing to loose
    Just my two cents
    This is a penetrating oil I use
    It at Lowe’s
    I would try it before I pulled the motor apart like I was a part of power nation
    Good luck with your treasure
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?-ca4ee24d-ddb0-48e0-810f-84d4e2f66d47_1559401755195.jpg  

FRESHMAN ROVER

Engine is no longer seized. It took its toll on a new battery, so its back on the charger again. I pulled all the plugs and sprayed generous amounts of penetrating lubricant in each bore over a period of 3 days. Each time I tried it, it would move about 10 degrees. Finally it began to turn over with the rear drivers side throwing out alot a rust concoction. I suspect there may be a coolant breach, but too soon to know for sure at this point.

I will need to check the gas tank and remove any gas in there as what is in there is at least 10 years old. Then I have to buy some new plugs and see if it will start. Not holding out much hope at this point, though...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now