1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?

Bringing this beast back to life will be very rewarding. Breaking is such a shame and only really the way forward if the chassis is shot. Anything else is relatively easy if you have the time and tools.

I had a similar purchase 4 years ago. Instead of messing around I chose to completely strip the vehicle insides all out except the lower dash and steering col. Out went seats, carpets, sound insulation, trunk floor (shot), and door cards etc. Stripped off all lights bumpers and external trims. Headlining out. Nothing thrown away. This gave me a total view of what I was really dealing with. It also allowed multiple jobs to be done on one go instead of 'discovering' new jobs as I went. Underneath took out gearbox (stuck in third) and sourced a replacement for £300.00. Axles were fine. Hub seals and brake pads / discs all round. Ancillaries all stripped out of the engine bay and refurbed / replaced over time on a learn as you go basis. Luckily I had a non abs non air con last of the hard dash. New ignition system with remote located amplifier. New sensors except lambdas which I can't get out of the exhaust and appear ok anyway. Luckily I had a running engine with good compression so no real issues with the heads etc. New brake servo due to diaphram leak. did my own brake lines (never done before but so easy).

Retimed and puuring like a pussy cat.

Resprayed her myself - got some orange peel so will need to 2000grit that out at some point. Refurbed the wheels myself. None of the tarting up pretty stuff is rocket science.

Without a doubt the best thing for me was having a good sized garage - without somewhere warm and dry I just would not have bothered.

A random selection of photos from my journey in no particular order.

1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?-img_2819.jpg1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?-img_3744.jpg1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?-dsc_0011.jpg1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?-dsc_0009.jpg1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?-dsc_0010.jpg1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?-img_3576.jpg1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?-img_3026.jpg1994 Classic - Restore or Part Out?-img_3575.jpg

Good luck Sir.
    89 Vogue SE = sold, with a tear in my eye want it back!
    98 HSE = sold, good riddance.
    03 Vogue = sold but not bothered
    now 93 EFi = I like a challenge and a 4.4 TDV8 VSE L322 Stornoway Grey.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

If you need a rewarding project and have the time and resources do it. I happen to think 94 with a regular wheelbase is the best rangey ever made. But I'm partial.... and always looking for a parts car . I agree with RRLondon.... check the integrity of all metal first to decide... unless you are going to make a frankenstein crawler or similar. Whatever you do, make sure it's fueled by fun.
    94 Classic SWB | 66 Renault Caravelle | 49 BMW R35

FRESHMAN ROVER

Gentleman - I have sold this vehicle to someone that can fully appreciate the vehicle and bring it back to life. He picked it up yesterday and is genuinely excited to get it running as he has wanted one since before he was old enough to have one. Before I let it go, I believe I got it to a point to where he can hopefully get it running with not too much trouble. After freeing up the engine, I pulled the fuel pump, which had mostly disintegrated due to sitting in a couple gallons of gas for the past 10 years. I emptied out most of the old gasoline (yuck), so it needs a final cleaning and a new pump as well as a new filter and a thorough cleaning of the fuel system and injectors before the new owner can try to get it started.

I eventually came to my senses and quickly realized that I wouldn't be able to leave well enough alone. I would have stripped the interior and pulled the body off the chassis and turned this in to a multi year project and I simply didn't want to invest that kind of time and effort into it. So, the decision to part with it now made the most sense to me and like I said, it went to someone that is genuinely happy and interested in getting it back onto the road. I want to thank all of you for your input, help, and encouragement. I am confident that as the new owner comes online here that you will show him the same camaraderie you have shown me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

There's certainly many different points at which you'd wish to be involved with one of these, as you say though, once started they probably drag you in further than initially appreciated.

At least you've rescued this one, set it on it's way to recommissioned status, and sounds like you've found an "employee" for it to enjoy its future. That's a good story.

Warning, that itch will probably be back at some point as you look around and see others using them, you've not got away from ownership just yet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now