Wheel bearings?? Diff? or ??? - Page 4
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wheel bearings?? Diff? or ???

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Wheel bearings?? Diff? or ???

How smooth should the front wheels spin with no driveshaft?
    I do have the dash brake light that comes on when I drive. The pads and rotors look as if they have plenty left in them.
    When I turn the wheel off the ground, there is definitely a brake pad sound and it does not spin very freely.
    This might be a stupid thing to add, but only one tire spins when I spin. I believe the rear, both spin when I spin 1 side. (hope that makes sense)

I must say how great this forum is and how much I appreciate all your help. I am at the point of taking to a mechanic, but I can't even find one that will work on it. Not that they have even seen it. They hear Range Rover Classic and tell me to go away
    1989 Classic

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

There can be a fair bit of drag on the axles when trying to spin them, fronts always seem more so than rear.

As you turn them they have to either spin the opposite wheel in the opposite direction direction. Or if both go round same direction, then the input flange would spin instead. Either of these functions involves rotating the axle differential gears one way or another, in cold temps the oil in there makes them pretty "draggy " I'd not expect them to spin freely much more than you've got if ambient temp is low.

Brakes if not regularly used will contribute a little drag but you can generally hear that as opposed to gear drag being silent.

Surprised you've got snow there although not familiar with the altitude. We generally have to go down to French alps for good snow and skiing from here, our RR has been there a few times, about 700 miles away. It's been pretty good on trips like that.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I tried using the sting alignment.
    Basically tie a sting to a solid object behind the rover at axle level. Bring it around to the front and attach to a movable object that is also at axle level. When the string touches both sides of the rear tire you can measure both sides of the front to see if it is toe in or out.
    NOT perfect, but gives an idea.
    My results were really odd.
    The passenger side, the string hit the front tires before hitting the front side of the rear tire.
    The drivers side hit the both sides of the rear tire and there was 1" away from both sides of the front tire.
    1989 Classic

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yeah we got about 2-3" of snow yesterday. It was getting really nice and warm and then it was winter again.

If both wheels are supposed to turn, do I have another problem?

My front driveline is off
    both front tires off the ground
    Spin 1 tire and the other does not move at all
    1989 Classic

FRESHMAN ROVER

I understand what you're checking there, but it's potentially going to bring other discrepancies into play.

The axle articulation on these lead to original design as preference over other aspects, that's not to say it shouldn't be basically correct.

The rear is located for geometry by the top wishbone link, any discrepancy on those links has the possibility to steer the rear axle and give error.

The front is laterally located with a panhard rod which moves in an arc, more so for the wheel travel on one side than the other making it necessary to average out the discrepancy and give least error at normal ride height. Any movement or wear in bushes can add to the affect.

All suspension systems have compromise of some description, in this case it may prevent that method of checking.

Really the most accurate manual check is that distance between inner wheel rim faces at axle leve in front and behind axle centre. It just discards any other potential influence and gives a concise view of current status.

The front link from steering box drop link just centres the wheels relative to the box, the rear drag link alters the angle between the two wheels.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Gerk View Post
    Yeah we got about 2-3" of snow yesterday. It was getting really nice and warm and then it was winter again.

If both wheels are supposed to turn, do I have another problem?

My front driveline is off
    both front tires off the ground
    Spin 1 tire and the other does not move at all
    No problem just a bit more drag on one of the elements, if just one wheel turns, then the drive shaft input will be spinning if you watch it. If you held that flange still, then spin a wheel the opposing wheel will go backwards. It's just how differential work, the easiest way out will be followed by any force. Perfectly normal.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Is it difficult to pull apart and rebuild all the axles?
    Ive never done anything like this type of job. Not afraid.
    Not necessarily all new parts, but new seals, new bearings, check out the cv joints etc....
    This is an 89 so I believe it is pre ABS
    1989 Classic

FRESHMAN ROVER

The axles are relatively straight forward as mainly just nuts and bolts, diligent use of manual and careful application should get through it.

But I'd suggest against doing that initially if there are no confirmed failures or leaks. First line preventative maintenance would be to get them warm and change the main case oil. Check the fill plug first for ensuring you have access to refill!!! Then I drain into a stainless steel bowl and look at the old oil to check for any particals, it'll give you some appraisal of conditions inside.

Generally for simplicity next level would be to first inspect wheel bearings for play and adjust as manual if too much is evident. Longer term would be to pull them and clean out with kerosene, dry then inspect, then repack with new grease and set them correctly. That'll cover general running.

I'd place CV front joints and steering mech on front axle as a level above any of that. Without good reason to start on it, delay and observe in use for any characteristics that would point you that way.
    Maintenance for these is to make sure the oil in each housing is up to level, there is a plug to do this on inside face of the unit. Earlier example use axle oil, later uses black grease in semi liquid form.

Apart from oil change for differential I'd use it first if other issues are resolved and you're on the road as you'll soon be aware of any problems.

Mine is approaching 160,000 miles on original wheel bearings, ive cleaned and repacked them but although not new they all checked out ok.

What mileage are you on?

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have approx 75,000 miles on the vehicle. The engine is a different story.

I am going to check the fluid in the swivel. I have the kind that does not have a drain.
    A. How do you drain these? Do they have to be removed to drain.
    B. If I just wanted to check the level, I read just to use a zip tie. How full should they be?
    C. I am assuming once drained and checked, I refill with one shot grease even though it had oil prior correct? I know that I will also have to repack the bearings
    1989 Classic

FRESHMAN ROVER

The older type axle had fill, level and drain plugs, some cunningly disguised so check carefully.

Drain is usually pointing forward on the lowest square section of the rear face on housing, in effect it looks like a little sump in shape.

If fill plug is right at top of unit it will have the additional level plug to set oil quantity, later they combined by locating fill at oil level to make it easier.

You should get about 1/2 pint out if warm, if obviously leaking somewhere you see less. Check condition and quantity to give you assessment of internal. The risks would be water ingress or too little from leaking.

They switched to grease to make it less "leaky" opinion would suggest. The oil has no disadvantage if it's still in there from a wear perspective. If it's got oil and quantity is ok there's no real reason not to refill with the same.
    If it all checks out for the swivel unit, at least this will give you a baseline and ongoing running to assess. The oil doesn't really degrade in there (unlike the engine, it has no combustion byproduct to degrade it) it's only contamination or leaking away that'll compromise the function.

FRESHMAN ROVER

How long ago did they change from oil to grease? I opened up the middle "check level" opening, and I had to stick a zip tie pretty deep before getting anything on it.
    I then opened up the drain plug on the bottom and nothing came out. Stuck the zip tie in there and came out with this (attached picture)
    This car had been sitting for quite some time. Possibly 10 years as that was its last registered year.
    Wheel bearings??  Diff?  or ???-rps20190520_145225_830.jpg
    1989 Classic

FRESHMAN ROVER

I'm not certain of accuracy on this, just a perception. Thought it was around time of anti-lock brake install. But general practice seemed to move toward replacing the oil in service routine also, so even an older vehicle is most likely to have the swap done at some point if the mechanic had knowledge of this.

The level with oil was more critical as the CV joint would effectively be half submerged in oil rather than the chamber keeping it covered, so dip and splash was fine to lubricate. As opposed to the grease which stays in the CV cavity more readily.

Does that lube smell of EP oil? As that has quite a distinctive aroma being quite potent compared to the grease.

If you think it's grease you could just add half tube to each side and then see if you can get a measure on it via the level hole.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I am going to pull apart the front axles. For frame of mind, to seal up the swivels, and have an overall check of all moving parts.
    When I put back together, how much one shot grease goes into each side?
    1 full pack each side?
    What about packing the bearings; Do I need extra grease besides the single pack?
    1989 Classic

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yes as stated one pouch for each swivel housing. They contain 370ml to give correct fill. It's basically molybdenum disulphide mix grease in slightly soft mix to allow you to squeeze it in through the hole, same really as any black CV joint grease composition wise.

The wheel bearing grease is straight lithium general purpose yellow coloured grease and discreet from the CV assembly.

When you pull the wheel hub off you'll see the arrangement. Move brake caliper, remove outer drive flange, undo the two big centre nuts, then the hub assembly will pull out and off the vehicle.
    What you are then left with is the stub axle, inside which is the void for the CV. Although concentric to each other they are different compartments which will be obvious as you work through it.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I just checked on mine, the VC definitely has to have main gearbox in neutral to rotate it fully.

To clarify:-

With the park brake on, the rear drive is immobile, the centre diff has to spin it's input from the main gearbox to allow you to turn one front wheel for example. Which will be against the resistance of the VC, so slowly it'll rotate fully. With main gearbox in park it will rotate with viscous feeling about 10/15 minutes of arc and no further. Neutral, and you can keep going round as long as you like.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now