Wheel bearings?? Diff? or ??? - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wheel bearings?? Diff? or ???

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Wheel bearings?? Diff? or ???

My girlfriends driveway looks like a Rorschach.
    I need to replace not only PS hoses, but trans hoses and oil hoses.
    All of which I will prob have to make myself.
    Hopefully the fluid is just being flung and I don't also have to replace steering box.
    This might end up being a decent little $20k ride that I will drive 1000 miles a year haha
    1989 Classic

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

The steering box is where you bleed out the air. Really simple job.
    Tighten all your hose connections & give it all a good cleaning. Then you will see what may need fixing or replacing.
    Kevin
    88 RRC "Audrey"

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Gerk View Post
    My girlfriends driveway looks like a Rorschach.
    I need to replace not only PS hoses, but trans hoses and oil hoses.
    All of which I will prob have to make myself.
    Hopefully the fluid is just being flung and I don't also have to replace steering box.
    This might end up being a decent little $20k ride that I will drive 1000 miles a year haha

One should never attempt to repair all the leaks at once. I am not even certain it is possible? Besides, it a bit of a game – fix one – find another. Try to limit them to two at a time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

So I do not have the front driveshaft installed.
    My steering is super loose feeling. Like I need to really focus while driving so i don't swerve into another lane.
    I was getting the Rover ready to work on today, parked on a slight hill, put it in park and started cleaning the rain and snow off of it as I noticed that it was very slowly creeping forward. What would cause this? Is it because there is no front shaft? Something else is broken?
    1989 Classic

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Lockettc View Post
    One should never attempt to repair all the leaks at once. I am not even certain it is possible? Besides, it a bit of a game – fix one – find another. Try to limit them to two at a time.
    Agree, also the desire to fix the (oil) leak needs to be proportional to the cost and fill-up frequency of the fluid leaking.

As they say: "If it stops leaking.. it is probably empty"

FRESHMAN ROVER

So I do not have the front driveshaft installed.
    My steering is super loose feeling. Like I need to really focus while driving so i don't swerve into another lane.
    I was getting the Rover ready to work on today, parked on a slight hill, put it in park and started cleaning the rain and snow off of it as I noticed that it was very slowly creeping forward. What would cause this? Is it because there is no front shaft? Something else is broken?
    Loose steering feel is either (mis)alignment and or excessive play. Go through the whole front axle. You can do alignment with some creative use of a tape measure, sticks or strings of wire (check internet). Eventually you can do a professional aligment, but with very little to align (and the price being the same) it is often a bit of a waste of money.
    Do you have a lift fitted? This can upset the geometry. Despite America's love affair with lifting (or slamming) cars, it is in fact not a very good automotive engineering practice for many many reasons including basic safety considerations!
    Your damper could be loose, missing or just kaput.

The handbrake operates on the drum behind the transfer box. So it brakes the rear prop (drive) shaft and thus the rear wheels (as long as they are both on the ground). Arguably not the most effective design and could creep. In addition if you have an automatic the P is a peg lock (should not slip). If you have a 'normal' transmission you can part in first/reverse gear.
    In your case in "P" it should not creep. The removal of the front shaft should not have any effect on that. In fact a bit of a puzzle why that would happen. Did you try and not put it on the handbrake and see what it holds in "P', maybe the lock inside is broke and what you are seeing is the hardbrake slipping?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ive replaced some hoses. Still leaking. I think it is the steering box. I just can't seem to figure out where it is leaking from.

Ive moved back to my axle issues now. Any thoughts on why it is creaping forward when in park?
    I just lifted up the front end. I can spin the front wheels but it is not super free. Is it supposed to be? If I give it a full hard spin with tire on, I can get 1 full rotation before the tire stops
    1989 Classic

FRESHMAN ROVER

With parking brake applied then the rear wheels should be immobile. Just left in park on transmission and no brake it will creep if the centre differential is not fully locked! As the drivetrain coming to the centre from engine direction is stopped but leveraged through the diff.

Parking brake adjust is fairly simple but it is manual to alter it unlike regular setups.

Handbook instructions for changing a wheel if on a slope is to use parking brake, and chock wheel to prevent roll away.

With a free centre differential and stopped on a slope, if you lift one rear wheel it'll roll away as soon as that wheel breaks traction as the braking is through the rear differential across the axle.

With the trans locked in park and no brake applied it'll be trying to spin that centre diff. it won't move without the shaft if completely locked which makes it look like there's some movement in there still.

Do you routinely use parking brake or just transmission P position?

FRESHMAN ROVER

To be honest, I have been working on this thing for a year and still have not driven it further than "MAYBE" 5 miles. Everything is constantly breaking.
    So there really is no answer to that question.
    It sits on flat ground and in park. The parking brake does work, but I don't use it on flat ground
    1989 Classic

FRESHMAN ROVER

Regarding steering weight.

With locked centre diff the steering is generally very heavy and resistant, especially much away from straight ahead. Good centre diff and it feels natural but with kind of slow gluey feeling. No drive to front, it'll feel the most loose but should still steer straight at normal speed, getting a bit more "flighty " above about 70mph.

Front tire pressure too high makes difference, I generally run 27psi front. As already mentioned front tracking (wheels pointing in or out) can have a big affect and would need checking as routine maintenance.

Steering damper doesn't generally affect steering feel if in correct condition, it's not there for feel but to stop the wheel and steering assembly kicking high torque into the steering box if badly deflected by surface conditions. It's more or less a worm and wheel arrangement in the steering box and they really don't like high torque being kicked back in reverse through the components. Even a new example of the damper you can operate at slow speed with your hands, the powered steering box has no problem overcoming it.

(As an aside, a steering damper on a conventional rack & pinion system IS to prevent the steering wheel spinning in same circumstances as wheel deflection can travel straight back through the system more or less unopposed)

FRESHMAN ROVER

To be honest, I have been working on this thing for a year and still have not driven it further than "MAYBE" 5 miles. Everything is constantly breaking.
    So there really is no answer to that question.
    It sits on flat ground and in park. The parking brake does work, but I don't use it on flat ground
    It wouldn't compromise it not using the brake to park, just that on any slope it should be used as well as transmission P when left alone else it can risk movement.

Just seems like VC is not as locked as thought before.

I'm wondering if it's period of being not used caused the VC to stiffen up but now you've started moving it then it's also freeing up again. In other words, not failed but generally lazy through sitting.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yes, this rover did sit for some time.
    With the front off the ground, I am under the Rover trying to move anything and everything by hand. I don't feel a single thing loose.
    The damper is brand new.
    I do have all new springs and shocks on all 4.
    I went with terrafirma medium load that is supposed to give it 2" over stock.
    I have brand new tires.
    Alignment has NOT been done and I fully understand that it can really change the steering if it is off.
    1989 Classic

FRESHMAN ROVER

I've read back through thread from start to see if anything is missed, and think there's something.

Apologies, as to test the VC on front of gearbox you need transmission in neutral and I can't see I've stated that. It may be a combination of things but it definitely looks like your VC has started creeping more as it should do.

So definitively, transmission in neutral, chock wheels, turn front output with lever now as it sounds to me like it's mobile. You may have a functioning VC and nothing to do
    Whether it's freed up from running torque on it I don't know. But if it's now mobile again that's interesting.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I don't have a front driveshaft connected, so the car is mobile currently.
    I do believe that I tested the VC with it in neutral
    1989 Classic

FRESHMAN ROVER

Geometry of steering.

Toe in, (wheels pointing together in front of axle) makes them more abrupt and too easy to turn.

Toe out, (wheels splaying out in front of axle) they'll usually want to follow road tilt/camber and drag you off down any side slope they can find.

It only takes small error away from spec to make cars abit spooky.

Rough and dirty check is to measure between inner wheel rims at axle level across car and compare in front of axle reading to behind axle reading.
    Adjusted by that drag link behind axle that connects the two together.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now