No Power After Dead Battery
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No Power After Dead Battery

FRESHMAN ROVER

No Power After Dead Battery

I've been dealing with a battery drain issue and so I replaced the battery thinking maybe it was just old (battery would die if the car sat for longer than a day or two unless connected to a trickle charger). I still had the same problem after replacing the battery so I knew something else was causing a drain. I was gearing up to track that down but had a bunch of stuff come up. In the meantime, my son disconnected the trickle charger because he needed the extension cord so the battery was completely dead when I next went to start it. Now, even with the battery charged, there is no power in the car at all.

I disconnected the ground and just let the battery get a full charge thinking maybe the charger couldn't keep up with the drain - anyway, when I connected it back up there is still zero power to the car. Any ideas where to start? Is there some sort of master fuse that's blown?

I'm going to check the cables tonight, but they were working just fine, even after I changed the battery, so I don't think it's a bad connection there.
    Restoring a 1995 RRC with 4.6L Disco Engine

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER

Re: No Power After Dead Battery

clean and secure your terminals, check power and ground cables from battery thru their respective routing. you do not mention if the truck in question is the one on your signature but if so there are a number of "main" fuses next to the battery, check all.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yep, it's the 95 Classic.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Do is there no power to anything or just won’t turn over
    im an american i dont speak english

91 classic..it is now parts

92 lse... not a bucket of rust

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Mikieman View Post
    Do is there no power to anything or just won’t turn over

No power to anything - like the cable was disconnected.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Doesn't the'95 have a maxi fuse in line with the positive lead?
    Kevin
    88 RRC "Audrey"

FRESHMAN ROVER

Batteries don't like to be fully discharged. Old batteries die when you discharge them fully. One or more cells die and you cannot charge them anymore.

I suggest you find a fresh, charged battery connect up and see if she starts, or at least lights etc work. Then with a multi meter trace back the drain consumption (assuming this is what started all these issues). I expect you need to pull fuses to isolate the circuit. Likely somebody has had the same issue so if you can find out which circuit you probably narrow down the likely offending part.

Also check if your alternator is charging (voltage on battery running should be 14.7V), maybe you are just draining down the battery..

FRESHMAN ROVER

Check to see if the volts are going anywhere at all.

The main cable from battery + down to starter solenoid should always be live irrespective of any systems, fuses etc. Meter from starter terminal across to earth to see if you've got voltage there first.

If you have, then you know it's available into the vehicle at least for some functions.

As above posts, check if it's got fusible links to see if you've then got a failure there to the vehicle control systems.

If that's OK, then go to back of ignition switch to see if you've voltage going in first, then if it's coming out again with a live switched feed toward the rest of control circuits.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Battery is brand new and fully charged. I have power to the starter, but no lights, horn, nothing. Like I said, it was running just fine then the trickle charger got unplugged and now nothing. I've never encountered something like this before.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

FRESHMAN ROVER

I would check the fusible links. I don’t know if they changed in 95, but I would go there on my 92 if I had these symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by NormalEar View Post
    I would check the fusible links. I don’t know if they changed in 95, but I would go there on my 92 if I had these symptoms.
    95 had maxi fuses. Many folks will convert the older fuse link to the 95’s maxi for better reliability. Check the maxi fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

pc

'95 RRC SWB Alpine White
    '95 RRC LWB Avalon Blue - Sold
    '15 E400 Cabriolet
    '06 E350 Sport (killed by friend's ex)
    '87 HD FLST with '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
    '02 Hobie Getaway

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ok I got a new battery in and have begun testing.

When I put a meter on it, it briefly reads .4 (amps I assume) and then tapers all the way down to .03 where it stays.

I have now disconnected the negative lead and run a 12v light between them. I checked the maxi fuses first and found that when I remove the 100a fuse for the alternator, the light dims significantly but does not totally go out. So I left the fuse in and tried removing the lead for the alternator, but nothing changes (light is still bright). So I'm confused as to what part of the alternator circuit is causing a problem?

FRESHMAN ROVER

I've now gone through and removed each fuse under the steering wheel one at a time but the light never went out. Wondering what I can check next.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Did you check the 4 maxi fuses in the underbonnet fuse box pull them out 1 at a time ,use a multimeter on ohms scale & see if get a reading test lights can do funny things . Ifound onmy 99 some of the fuses are not as it says in the handbook as well. My drain turned out to be the door amps still had power onthem though I changed to a Pioneer basic radio CD . .To test drain connect meter on amps scale & in seires with main power lead & batery + & pull fuses 1 at a time . The ECUs memory will be around .30-.04.

SENIOR ROVER

99 p38 and 95 classic totally different animals, not much in common other than name, country of origin and manufacturer.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now