Top end rebuild with cam... No start unless very adv
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top end rebuild with cam... No start unless very adv

Top end rebuild with cam... No start unless very adv

Hey everyone!
    Long time lurker and first time post… well 2nd because I’m reposting this again because the 1st one didn’t post.
    Anyways, I have a 1995 Range Rover Classic with a 3.9 engine that I just did a complete topend on it. Replaced the camshaft with a Crower 50299, Crane cams lifters, Cleveite cam bearings, Edlebrock 7828 Performer-Link timing chain, new Ford 19lbs injectors, and a new water pump.

Everything went together pretty easy for this less than shade tree mechanic. Set it at standard timing and buttoned everything up.
    Now the darn thing won’t start unless the timing is seriously advanced, which the rpms will redline unless the engine is turned off or I retard the timing down to about 18 degrees ATDC. My plug are black from running really rich, which I’m thinking it’s reving so high due to all the fuel being dumped into the system.
    Ive checked the timing 10 times or more over the last 5 days; Markings on my dampener have not moved whatsoever. Lined right up with TDC with cylinder #1.

CTS reads 3.6 ohms cold
    Spare CTS reads 3.1 ohms cold
    FTS reads 3.2 ohms cold.

The MAF is working, tested it via https://www.actproducts.co.uk/2011/l...78771972656250
    I’m just at a loss at what to do. Only other issue I’m having is I keep pulling my distributor mechanical weight springs off the pins while trying to change timing via distributor.

Please help!
    Cheers!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER

Re: Top end rebuild with cam... No start unless very adv

either cam was unintentionally set a tooth off, or the distributor needs better setting to include a good look at the shaft and the counter weights.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Top end rebuild with cam... No start unless very adv

I agree with 95classiclwb, I had a similar condition on a 4.2L rebuild and could not start. I ended up having to reposition the distributor drive gear a tooth or two. I cannot recall if it was a turn clockwise or counter clockwise. Hope this makes sense.
    Tom McCarthy

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now