Rovergauge help - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rovergauge help

Re: Rovergauge help

Well, the 14CUX arrived and was installed.
    IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE, THE RIG IS HEALED!!!!
    Plugged the new ECU in and hooked up Rovergauge, it immediately began to communicate. Fired right up and idled well. Put the dogs in and we took off and it ran flawlessly. Idle was a bit high, not bad, but a little and i went thru the base idle adjustment procedure twice, but when I fire it up after the initial key on, unplug, key off, wait till click, plug in, key on, unplug, start process and both times I got a very high idle. Maybe the 13CUX system does not like the 13CUX base idle process running a 14CUX ECU. I can live with it.
    So what happened, or was happening? I can only presume that the ECU was failing and perhaps the other one was too. Did extended rest reset something? Was it only able to process a limited number of faults (speed transducer, O2's, base idle???) and would go into some extended limp mode? Who knows? For now she's running fine (should be, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, wires, coil, TPS, O2's, speed transducer, clean MAF, test pipes in lieu of cats, and other assorted special guests).
    THANK YOU to all who read, responded, made suggestions, gave it thought and so on. This forum is what brought about the cure and everyone deserves a beer! Come to San Juan Island and I'll buy a round!
    Doug in Friday Harbor

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

The idle should settle down after a few runs once the ecu has adapted and learned what the engine likes. Having been powered down it is effectively reset to base values and will fine tune over time. Incidentally is the stepper motor and air way clean and degunged?

I have come across similar behaviour before, a friends car had a remapped chip on it and at traffic lights it would start cutting out. I flashed a new chip and replaced it now all is well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1985 3.5 V8, Converted to Serpentine and 14CUX. EAS and BW Tbox

SENIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by KK88RRC View Post
    ECU does not care what range you are in. There is nothing telling it. It gets speed from transducer & rpm via coil with the chiclet resistor inline. Have you tested the coil?
    correct, in fact ecu does not know what range it is. all it knows is that rpms are exceedingly high for given speed thus reducing power on engine by cutting 4 cylinders (I/E 6,000 rpm at 25mph).
    the over rpm condition is much easier to achieve while on low range, thus it is when ecu acts according to programming.

the chicklet has nothing to do with speed, it is there for the sole purpose of emission and as stated it varies between markets and if equipped with cats and o2 sensors, just sensors, or to saudi market only no sensors at all.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Doug... glad the new ECU worked out for you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 95classiclwb View Post
    correct, in fact ecu does not know what range it is. all it knows is that rpms are exceedingly high for given speed thus reducing power on engine by cutting 4 cylinders (I/E 6,000 rpm at 25mph).
    the over rpm condition is much easier to achieve while on low range, thus it is when ecu acts according to programming.
    Well that makes sense.... Thanks
    Kevin
    88 RRC "Audrey"

Final fix of the cutting out/hiccup issue was a bad TPS. I had replaced it w couple years back, and tested it recently, but not thoroughly enough it seems. Installed a new one and problems solved.
    Thanks to all who helped and commented!
    Doug in Friday Harbor

FRESHMAN ROVER

Rather than open a thread can I ask here how 'noisy' does you rpm indication in Rovergauge appear?

I have a slight lumpy idle when hot and am in the process of faulting sensors but I find the rpm is quite jumpy in rovergauge and wondering if the lack of a capacitor or diode in the rectifier on my highly budget looking alternator is giving the ecu 'noisy' rpm information. Which is making the ECU react. Have yet to set base idle and go through the afm and tps, lamda, air leaks, fuel pressure checks (you get the idea)

It isn't huge but seems to jump up and down +/- 75 rpm when the engine hunts very smoothly and slowly.

Any opinions? will post a video if it helps but car isn't outside this evening...
    RHD 1994 Vogue Se, Soft Dash, On Air (and not the bump stops). Plymouth Blue

Not 100% positive, but i don't think the ECU cares abour RPM information, it operates solely from the throttle potentiometer, MAF, temp sensor and O2 sensors. There is a relationship between the road speed transducer on the speedo cable and idle, but mostly just lets the rig know you are moving and regulates a high or lower idle, not surging.
    Mine does a little of that "searching", but I just ignore it.
    Doug in Friday Harbor

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi Reddog, maybe but I thought the IACV would need some reference especially when idle mode is active which I agree the road speed sensor and TPS will indicate to the ECU to activate.

I'm zoning in on my idle issue in that I'm going through the well worn path of sensor verification etc but it's a fair thought that if the rpm info is noisy then the feedback loop means it will continue to hunt.

Basically if others have rover gauge and too notice at idle the rpm does flicker around a notable amount then I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. I pondered if a diode in the rectifier was bad then some AC ripple might be introduced which would have some fun on other items in the system. In reality I'm probably trying to talk myself into changing a perfectly good alternator but I'm highly suspect of anything I didn't fit to this car. Alternator is a 'universal' and looks like the cheapest one might hope to buy!

Forth bridge for those of you who know the analogy!

Sent from my LG-H930DS using Tapatalk
    RHD 1994 Vogue Se, Soft Dash, On Air (and not the bump stops). Plymouth Blue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now