1990 Range Rover Classic Build
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1990 Range Rover Classic Build

1990 Range Rover Classic Build

New to the forums and LR ownership but couldn't be happier so far with this rig. I have wanted one of these since I worked at a Range Rover dealer when I was in college. After almost a year of searching for a rust free, clean history car, I was lucky to find her local to me.

Picked her up a couple months ago. It had about 160k on the clock, clean history and needing some work, but nothing too crazy. Let me preface this thread with the fact that I have limited mechanical knowledge, so a lot of that work will be done by the Pros..

Here is what she looked like just after picking her up:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER

Re: 1990 Range Rover Classic Build

nice looking rig, excellent color combo.

First order of business was to have the bubbling and blue tint removed as well as a proper paint correction (Tint removed by detail shop and correction done by myself)

1990 Range Rover Classic SWB

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Next was on to the cracking wood. I began by removing the trim and sanding it down as best I could. I used some very inexpensive and basic wood look vinyl to wrap the panels as I wanted to keep it easy and cost effective. I could also quickly remove and change it down the road if I ever wanted to change up the look:

The bubbling and blue tint needed to be removed as well as a proper paint correction (Tint removed by detail shop and correction done by myself)

After this the whole A/C system was converted to R134a. I know this tends to be a controversial modification in regards to its effectiveness, but the stock system was shot and it made sense to overhaul the system since the tech had to be in there anyway. So far it has been excellent. At the same time, I had the oil changed, diff fluid changed, brakes done and the fuel filter changed as well. I have been daily driving it for two months now and it has been running fantastic!

Next were the wheels. I went with a black finish to go with the look I was after:

Then it came time for the biggest job yet on the truck. I wanted to give it some proper insulation and sound deadening. I dont want this truck to be a garage queen and this would make it much easier to daily drive. As you will see, she is a rust free example! Here are some of the progress photos:

FRESHMAN ROVER

WOW this is a very comprehensive job you are doing.

Real good to see you are saving (and dare I say spending money) on an old Range Rover. Inevitable old cars will fall into neglect this is just how it is, but some cars are luck and are kept nice or rescued.

You need to see it a little bit as a hobby really, but still very satisfying to see an old Rangy getting looked after. With all that work I am sure you will enjoy it much more than buying just another new(ish) truck!

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your work. I already spotted a few idea's for my own car in your pictures!

@JS5D Thanks for the kind words! I want to preserve the character of the old Range Rover as much as possible, but bring it up to modern standards.

New Body Bushings and a full set of Poly Bushings for the suspension are in route and will be installed in the coming weeks. This should make a huge impact on how it drives as she is very "Floaty" right now.

Also in the works will be a new Carpet Kit and Headliner.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Congratulations and well done! I recently got my first Rover as well and wish mine looked as clean as yours. I look forward to your progress.

Bushing Overhaul Time! New body bushings and suspension bushings arrived today. Also not pictured is a new Bilstein steering damper. I wont be installing them for a few weeks, but I hope they make a significant difference.

SENIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by 1990SWB View Post
    Bushing Overhaul Time! New body bushings and suspension bushings arrived today. Also not pictured is a new Bilstein steering damper. I wont be installing them for a few weeks, but I hope they make a significant difference.

just a heads up.
    be careful with the Bilstein steering damper, my 95 developed a drift to the right side and heavy steering after installing one of these units back in 2005. did not cause uneven tire wear but my wrist would get tired on long trips from holding the wheel from turning right.
    turned out to be the billie damper had constant extend pressure thus emulated turning and the drift. I reinstalled a factory unit and problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by 95classiclwb View Post
    just a heads up.
    be careful with the Bilstein steering damper, my 95 developed a drift to the right side and heavy steering after installing one of these units back in 2005. did not cause uneven tire wear but my wrist would get tired on long trips from holding the wheel from turning right.
    turned out to be the billie damper had constant extend pressure thus emulated turning and the drift. I reinstalled a factory unit and problem solved.
    Thanks for the heads up! It currently has a Terrafirma damper on it, but I have no idea when it was installed. Luckily I will have that as a spare in the case this one does not work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990SWB View Post
    Next was on to the cracking wood. I began by removing the trim and sanding it down as best I could. I used some very inexpensive and basic wood look vinyl to wrap the panels as I wanted to keep it easy and cost effective. I could also quickly remove and change it down the road if I ever wanted to change up the look:
    Can you provide a link to the material you used for the wood trim covering?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now