New member, first time Rover owner - 1987 RRC - Page 4
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: New member, first time Rover owner - 1987 RRC

SENIOR ROVER

Re: New member, first time Rover owner - 1987 RRC

Quote Originally Posted by mscuil View Post
    I have done this a few times and seem to still have issues finding it. It is almost like the entire front is coated, maybe coming from behind the main pulley and being whipped onto the oil pump/filter, as well as up high. I thought maybe it was a valley gasket but don't want to throw parts at it. Maybe I can try cleaning and just idling for a few minutes while watching to try and see seepage.

after all the love you are pouring in the vehicle I would suggest resealing engine, install new front cover gasket and main seal, valley pan and end seals, valve cover gaskets, distributor seal and why not the reseal the oil pan while at it.
    that way it buys peace of mind and you know you have addressed all possible leak points, the only remaining and which to monitor would be head gaskets and rear main seal.
    just my logical way of thinking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by 95classiclwb View Post
    after all the love you are pouring in the vehicle I would suggest resealing engine, install new front cover gasket and main seal, valley pan and end seals, valve cover gaskets, distributor seal and why not the reseal the oil pan while at it.
    that way it buys peace of mind and you know you have addressed all possible leak points, the only remaining and which to monitor would be head gaskets and rear main seal.
    just my logical way of thinking.
    I definitely think that would be the best route. I will have to start sourcing the parts and knock it out over a long weekend if possible. Would you recommend simply replacing the head gaskets while I am in there? Atlantic British seems to sell kits including all of the gaskets as well as head gaskets.

Does anyone happen to have a suggestion on where to source the rubber gaiter/boot that seals the hi/lo gear shift but beneath the pleather boot? I tried using a universal from Dorman but it is WAY too tall. I need to seal the entire gap but also have a low profile.

SENIOR ROVER

rimmer bros, bearmach for the gaiter, if head gaskets are not leaking I would not mess with it. on the other if you just want to replace all gaskets as a peace of mind measure, it would be a good idea to bring heads to a reputable machine shop and get them rebuilt. furthermore since you will be there why not inspect the cam lobes for wear and address as needed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

rimmer bros, bearmach for the gaiter, if head gaskets are not leaking I would not mess with it. on the other if you just want to replace all gaskets as a peace of mind measure, it would be a good idea to bring heads to a reputable machine shop and get them rebuilt. furthermore since you will be there why not inspect the cam lobes for wear and address as needed.
    I will let you know when I get to it and what I end up doing.

In the meantime, I grew tired of the drone from the Magnaflow when driving long distances on the highway, so I ordered rear exhaust. Hopefully the snow/ice lets up so I get a chance to install it.

SENIOR ROVER

I am not sure but I think in the past and maybe on a different thread, I mentioned having gotten rid of my magnaflow for the same reason, the drone becomes dreadful after an hr or so of driving specially on flat highways.
    you will welcome the difference.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

If you are doing the front cover maybe consider doing timing gear, cam & lifters.
    Kevin
    88 RRC "Audrey"

FRESHMAN ROVER

I am not sure but I think in the past and maybe on a different thread, I mentioned having gotten rid of my magnaflow for the same reason, the drone becomes dreadful after an hr or so of driving specially on flat highways.
    you will welcome the difference.
    I sure hope so. Now my issue is that the exhaust is likely from a 1990-95 as the front silencer/muffler only has two holes across from each other to bolt to the triangular 3-hole y pipe that looks to have been fabricated sometime in the past. I am debating on just replacing the cats as I am unsure how old they are. The o2 sensors are new. However, it seems that the design changed as the 87-88 or 89 years had seperate cats that bolt to the manifolds and then a seperate y-pipe that connects them. however, https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-ESR3063P seems to be usable by any v8 efi classic(RR Classic - All SWB V8 EFi manual models with catalyst from (VIN) KA645768 on). I also noticed that the manifolds seem to be the same from 87-95. Is there a reason I shouldn't be able to just use the ESR3063P pipe to replace the entire front section from manifold to the new rear? I did install new O2 sensors when I first purchased the truck last year, hoping I can reuse those.

My other option is to just weld on a new flange to the front muffler so I can use my existing y-pipe, but again, uncertain of the cats being worth saving or not. Suppose i can just try and feel heat from the exhaust later today.

SENIOR ROVER

the 87 is the only NAS model to have had smaller diameter pipe exhaust and a 3rd catalytic converter, the 3rd converter became front primary muffler on later year models.
    when I upgraded my old 87 to a 4.6 engine I decided to install a complete disco 1 exhaust system from y pipe to rear muffler, pipe size becomes universal, better breathing engine easier to find exhaust parts.
    the only draw back to this conversion, the transmission crossmember on and 87 is square and must be removed before removing Y pipe. you will need to procure that crossmember of a later model year 90 to 95 classic or 94 to 98 disco 1, which is more or less a contoured pipe, this installs on chassis first and then the y pipe. the later y pipe will not fit with square x member in place.
    someone suggested modifying the existing square x member, I found it easier to replace than to redesign the wheel. I have seen some customer's rigs with out this crossmember, I don't think it makes a major difference on chassis strength and or other compromise to run with out it.

FRESHMAN ROVER

the 87 is the only NAS model to have had smaller diameter pipe exhaust and a 3rd catalytic converter, the 3rd converter became front primary muffler on later year models.
    when I upgraded my old 87 to a 4.6 engine I decided to install a complete disco 1 exhaust system from y pipe to rear muffler, pipe size becomes universal, better breathing engine easier to find exhaust parts.
    the only draw back to this conversion, the transmission crossmember on and 87 is square and must be removed before removing Y pipe. you will need to procure that crossmember of a later model year 90 to 95 classic or 94 to 98 disco 1, which is more or less a contoured pipe, this installs on chassis first and then the y pipe. the later y pipe will not fit with square x member in place.
    someone suggested modifying the existing square x member, I found it easier to replace than to redesign the wheel. I have seen some customer's rigs with out this crossmember, I don't think it makes a major difference on chassis strength and or other compromise to run with out it.
    You are a WEALTH of knowledge. Thanks for all of the help and taking the time to explain. I ended up ordering a flange repair kit. I plan on cutting off the triangular factory flange and the new 2 piece kit should install easily over the existing y-pipe allowing me to tighten on the olive. It's worth a try at least, for such a low cost.

In my attempt to quiet the truck down, and drive safely in snow, I decided to lose the mastercraft mud tires which howl quite loudly on the freeway. I ordered a set of BF Goodrich AT-K02 in 285/75 and a set of Method MR701 Wheels in Bronze. They should arrive within a couple days so I should have pictures shortly.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Whoops meant 245/75, same size that is on the truck now.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Comparing what came with the truck and the Method MR701 with Bridgestone K02s. I am hoping these are more quiet on the freeway than the MasterCraft mud tires that are mounted on the lr wheels. If anyone wants to buy the other wheels, pm me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New member, first time Rover owner - 1987 RRC-20190215_160731_1550289408536.jpg   New member, first time Rover owner - 1987 RRC-20190215_171255_1550289433051.jpg   New member, first time Rover owner - 1987 RRC-20190215_171310_1550289455850.jpg   New member, first time Rover owner - 1987 RRC-20190215_165144_1550289483477.jpg  

FRESHMAN ROVER

After fixing up a few exhaust leaks I thought I was hearing, it may just be the transfer case chain making noise. I want to change out the fluid and ensure it is fresh. Does anyone have a recommended 90wt for the LT230?

SENIOR ROVER

if you have the original 87, the t case is lt230 which is all geared, does not have chain to worry about. can't recommend a specific 90w brand, any will do.

FRESHMAN ROVER

if you have the original 87, the t case is lt230 which is all geared, does not have chain to worry about. can't recommend a specific 90w brand, any will do.
    Lucas gear oil on the way as well as a fluid transfer pump. Hoping to change out the fluid this week before my upcoming trip.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by mscuil View Post
    Lucas gear oil on the way as well as a fluid transfer pump. Hoping to change out the fluid this week before my upcoming trip.
    A lot has happened over the last week. I flew into Kenai Alaska for work, and spent an extra free day exploring Homer. What a stunning place!

Then after my overnight flight back to Michgan, on the day I arrived back to Detroit, Emily and I had a cabin rented on the South branch of the Au Sable River for our anniversary weekend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now