New member, first time Rover owner - 1987 RRC - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: New member, first time Rover owner - 1987 RRC

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: New member, first time Rover owner - 1987 RRC

Very cool Range Rover! CONGRATULATIONS!!! and welcome.
    2011 Range Rover HSE (Santorini Black, Jet Leather/Interior, Ivory Headlining)
    Charleston, South Carolina U.S.A.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebushman View Post
    Assuming it is vinyl and not leather, try something as simple as "spray and wipe" and a soft cloth. You may need several applications. Do NOT use acetone or it may destroy the material. If it is leather, on of the proprietary leather cleaners would be safest
    I believe it is vinyl. I had wiped it a few times but it seems pretty deep. I do occasionally lust after the walnut steering wheels by Myrtle Productions. Maybe I can splurge for one of those someday.

Quote Originally Posted by doc5339 View Post
    Very cool Range Rover! CONGRATULATIONS!!! and welcome.
    Thank you much!

So I screwed up yesterday after work. It was a beautiful day so i started to clay the side of the truck. I got down to the side molding and really wanted to see the lines of the body, so I used my heat gun to pull it off. I then cleaned up the adhesive and noticed that the driver's door lost some paint in the process. The rear door and fender look great. I have a touch up pen on the way, but now am debating on how to handle the door. I may just do the other side, get my passenger fender ordered, and have them painted when the fender arrives, as it needs to be replaced anyways. Any suggestions or lectures would be appreciated...

For the steering wheel - a standard leather cleaner should be fine most double as a vinyl cleaner I've had luck with Meguiars, but have just started using Chemical Guys cleaner which seems to be even better.

As a last case scenario, try a magic eraser on a small part and make sure it doesn't pull off the colour, and then continue with the whole wheel. Magic eraser is great on leather I use it on my ivory leather as it likes to show any dirt or blue from jeans. Being vinyl is a bit more durable, I think it'd be fine on your wheel.

For the paint, go to a body shop and persuade them to match your paint colour (paint fades over time, so if you buy the paint code it will be different). You can then touch up your door handles and fix the missing paint, I don't think it'd be too bad for white. If you need a spray gun, Home Depot sells an all in one spray can that you can load the new paint into. I've used it it's not bad.
    I'm the guy that buys a chicken salad to only eat the chicken
    2017 Range Rover HSE
    2014 Range Rover Sport Dynamic

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Here is a post I did on making my dash lights brighter. Also did LED retro fit of bulbs into heater control switch's. Looks alot brighter. A little bit of filling and glued them in place with just a small dab of glue. Going to do binnacle next. Way to dim. https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/8-r...ml#post1688378

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I put a wheel skin on our wheel as I wasn’t successful in cleaning it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New member, first time Rover owner - 1987 RRC-30757003-04d5-46cd-b844-8d73d48865ca_1525014578072.jpg  

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Hybridiia View Post
    I put a wheel skin on our wheel as I wasn’t successful in cleaning it up.
    Where did you get it? Looks almost genuine.
    Kevin
    88 RRC "Audrey"

FRESHMAN ROVER

From wheelskins: http://wheelskins.com/

It is a nice product. I have used these in the past on other vehicles also including our 109.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; May 29th, 2018 at 05:27 AM.

FRESHMAN ROVER

That does look very clean. I may go that route whenever I dig into the interior.

Sound deadening material arrived, so hoping to spend some time on the ceiling and doors this weekend so I can finally get around to the headliner. I was able to solve my exhaust leak over the weekend:

I also stuck on some new lettering:
    Last edited by RRToadHall; May 29th, 2018 at 05:28 AM.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Yup.... that's a small leak. lol
    Kevin
    88 RRC "Audrey"

FRESHMAN ROVER

I think i finally have the charging system and few other issues sorted. Over the past few days, I cleaned the connections at the battery, chassis ground, and alternator. I also finally got around to figuring out the wiring on the alternator. The truck has a GM alternator, so I found another post that explained how to wire the 4-wire CS clip. I then noticed a cut brown/white wire behind the instrument pack. After fixing that, the battery light now works with the key on, and turns off after starting. The truck is finally charging.

I replaced a leaky oil pressure sensor and the warning light finally doesn't flicker. I then adjusted the tailgate and it now latches and locks. Finally I replaced the rear door handle gasket which was broken and looked ugly. Now if I only could figure out the rear windows. I pulled the motor from the regulator and verified that the window travels up and down without issue. The motor does not spin however. Power does get past the switch. I might take the motor off the gear assembly and see if that is seized.

Progress and no more warning lights!

FRESHMAN ROVER

I drove the truck 3 hours North a few weekends back for a camping trip. It did great. It then went across the state the following weekend to visit family, then on another camping trip last weekend.

The replacement odometer stopped working at 614 miles on the Rimmer Bros replacement, so I purchased another and am shipping back the faulty unit that had arrived damaged. I am happy with their service. I also ordered the upper and lower cables to alleviate the bouncing needle.

I installed the new upper cable and speedo, and now the needle is nice and steady, even at low speeds.

I ordered Forever Black and used that on the Grill, Bumper end caps, mirrors, and other trim pieces. It looks much much better.

I then bent out the bumper and fender a bit, enough to install the replacement right signal housing.

Yesterday, I located the bad relay causing the rear wiper to not work. I replaced it and voila, I have a rear wiper. I replaced the tailgate door switch, so the lights now come on with the tailgate open. Finally, I found that the rheostat was disconnected, so i connected that and verified it is functioning properly. Now I can finally get that headliner refinished and installed as I am done needing access to the roof.

Finally, what i am MOST excited about. I JUST ordered a set of 5 Rostyle wheels for the truck. I do not think I will keep the current Mud terrains, as they are loud and vague on the freeway. Any suggestions for a good all terrain would be appreciated. I prefer the tall skinny look.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Very nice car, Fair bit of work to smart it up, but you are getting there.

For the skinnier tires, the original size (1972) was 7.5x16, which is basically 190/85 R16 in new money. The original tires are quite skinny and you need to like that 'original look' I found some 195R85 16 tires and fitted those. I have an 83 which looks more like to original cars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New member, first time Rover owner - 1987 RRC-img_2810_canon-eos-5d-mark-ii_0_117mm_7.1_200s_2048x1536.jpg   New member, first time Rover owner - 1987 RRC-img_2812_canon-eos-5d-mark-ii_0_100mm_7.1_400s_2048x1536.jpg  

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by JS5D View Post
    Very nice car, Fair bit of work to smart it up, but you are getting there.

For the skinnier tires, the original size (1972) was 7.5x16, which is basically 190/85 R16 in new money. The original tires are quite skinny and you need to like that 'original look' I found some 195R85 16 tires and fitted those. I have an 83 which looks more like to original cars.
    That is beautiful! Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately the seller informed me that they are inquiring to Land Rover about the availability of the Rostyle Wheels which I already paid for on Ebay. I imagine I will be getting a full refund shortly, as I did not believe they were producing the wheel any longer. Frustrating.

I ordered two replacement window motors for the back doors, and it turns out the first I bought on Ebay was faulty as well. The seller stated that it was tested but even after pulling the motor from the gearbox, it would not run. The motors that arrived over the weekend both work and now I have functioning power windows in the rear. I can now work on fixing the interior. I installed sound deadening and then removed the old headliner to prepare for new material.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hopefully this does not offend any purists, but i missed the different materials from my Scout, so went with a different headliner material than stock.

Now on to sound deadening on the doors...

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by mscuil View Post
    Hopefully this does not offend any purists, but i missed the different materials from my Scout, so went with a different headliner material than stock.

Now on to sound deadening on the doors...
    I like it a lot

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now