Clunk when putting in Gear . D and R
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clunk when putting in Gear . D and R

FRESHMAN ROVER

Clunk when putting in Gear . D and R

There is a clunk when I put the rover into Drive and Reverse, mainly when I switch between the two.

Is this a problem?

Car shifts like a dream while driving, Is it just the drive shaft changing directions and catching hard or something to that affect?
    nkspider AT mac.com

2005-present * 1995 Range Rover County SWB
    2004-present * 2004 Audi A4
    2004-present * 2004 Audi TT

2000-2004 * 2000 Discovery II
    1997-2000 * 1997 Defender 90

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    This "could" be a problem. RR are known for some noise/clunks in the driveline. But the place to start looking is the universal joints (U-joints).

Grap the drive shafts and see if there is any play in the joints. Sometimes you will feel no play, but a joint could still be bad. You could first give the joints a shot of grease from a grease gun, sometimes the bearings will free-up. If you have some miles on the beast might be time to replace the joints anyway.

Perhaps less likely(I hope) is a problem with the transfer case. Could be a bearing.

Good Luck.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks Tony, If its just joints, not a big problem right?
    nkspider AT mac.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    it is the ball joint at the top of the "a" arm on the back suspension. (self leveling arm??).

I am getting a new one brought in for mine too. It's very common on these things. Should run you about $12.00 for the parts.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    U-joints aren't a big deal, just takes a bit of time to get them out/in. You will need a vise, or a press to get the joints out/in though.

You might also want to take the driveshafts to a rebuilder after you get them out, and then have them do the work. In the NE we have Fleight Pride that does this type of stuff. It's up to you, you know your skill level.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I have that in my 89 rover..rover mechanic said it's a worn transfer case. the borg-warners apparently are crap. Just a quick question...does it generally NOT clunk when you first put it in gear sometimes, and then always clunk when you just move it from drive to reverse and back to drive?

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Generally yes. Only time I think that it clunks at first is when im parked and initially put it into reverse (after of course, it being in Drive when I parked it)
    nkspider AT mac.com

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Sounds like the same thing I have...worn transfer case. I changed the oil to redline dexron II synthetic to see if that helps a little and extend its use. Seems a little quieter though not much. I think some people replace it with a disco transfer case, but that's a several thousand dollar job.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Anyone actually had a transfer case crap out on them? My '92 had a clonking transfer case, just thought it was normal. I used to have a hybrid, basically a chopped up RR with the body of a lightweight, that also had a clonking transfer case, I put 50K miles on it before the engine blew up; but no transfer case problem.

-Ben

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I was pretty much under the impression that the Tranny is pretty much rock solid. Clunking on a rover is... a sign that it is still running.
    nkspider AT mac.com

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I don't think it's necessary to fix the transfer case. I've gone to two reputable Land rover mechanics in the S.F Bay area and one said it's worn, but it's not imperative to get it done and the other said he can look for a disco transfer case and swap it out for a cost of 3K, which he recommended be done. I went with the first guy who seemed more honest and with whom I felt more comfortable..the other guy just wanted to make a buck..or should I say 3000

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Clunk when putting in Gear . D and R

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd share my experience in case anyone else stumbles on this and give back to the forum. My 1995 soft dash had this clunk when stationary and going from n to d or d to r. I had assumed as many others that this was a 'feature' and lived with it but while overhauling my engine (not suggesting that btw) I changed the engine and gearbox mounts. Clunk has vanished and truck has 111k miles on it so was thinking chain stretch etc. I doubt it was loose bellhousing bolts as I have seen others cite as they were a bugger to move plus have quite tight dowls, so new mounts is all I can chalk it up to. Cheap enough to do and worth it anyway if yours aren't in good shape as they smooth out the car immeasurably!
    RHD 1994 Vogue Se, Soft Dash, On Air (and not the bump stops). Plymouth Blue

I like it
    A nice easy fix
    More or less
    I have the clunk occasionally
    But worth a try
    To make it go away
    I had excepted it as
    One of the classic things you have to accept
    im an american i dont speak english

91 classic..it is now parts

92 lse... not a bucket of rust

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Mikieman View Post
    I like it
    A nice easy fix
    More or less
    I have the clunk occasionally
    But worth a try
    To make it go away
    I had excepted it as
    One of the classic things you have to accept
    Exactly - I would worry if there wasn’t an occasional clunk!

SENIOR ROVER

the thread was started long before the last response, but to end all guessing here it is. the classic is equipped with a mechanical valve body automatic transmission, basically if shifting from park to forward or reverse or in between reverse and drive you are manually opening and closing valves to change hydraulic flow to suit your needs.
    this in it self causes noises, then you add external couplers (trans to tcase), chain or gear mesh play in tcase, torsion force of driveline, gear mesh play in differentials, rear axle shaft spline mesh, front axle spline mesh, and front axle CV joint mesh plus wear and you have a clunk to chase for a very long time.
    you could overhaul the complete drive train but unless in the budget for a ground up resto, parts and labor would negate benefits. basically stay on top of wear or worn components and repair as needed.
    the p38's driveline (tcase and autobox) is electronic, according to shop and owner's manual if rpms are outside of idle range when shifting gears, the ecu is smart enough to compensate and either not engage gears and or send a signal to engine ecu to power down and avoid clunks and or driveline shock. (just in case anyone wonders if and why does the p38 doe not clunk). of course this does not compensate for u joint and or gear wear.

best of luck.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now