I'm rather certain the brake booster pump has fried, but I wanted to post here and see if anyone had any other ideas to try.
I'm driving the truck and while stopping, the pedal looses resistance as if ABS/TC engaged. ABS and TC lights illuminate and it then feels as if there is a leaky brake line. When hitting the brakes, post incident, I have to push very hard and the pedal is soft. It depresses ~30% before truck begins to slow and ~50% to stop.
I stopped and inspected observing no leaks, but brake fluid is slightly low. The low fluid is directly related to my front pads as they are worn. The BRAKE light does not come on.
The ABS pump has occasionally been running while the truck is off. The last time I noticed this was when I parked at my office. With the truck off the ABS booster was still pressuring and I assumed that it was fancy new technology, in comparison to a 1990 RRC, which allows the brake pressure to remain perfect 100% of the time. In the 1990 the pump needs to recharge the system once the truck is started.
Troubleshooting to date:
- ABS booster pump does not turn on
- Pedal required hulk-like strength to even think of stopping (basically full manual pedal)
- No leaks
- ABS and TC light are permanently illuminated
Still left to answer:
- Followed RAVE electronic troubleshooting guide (pages 81-85 for ABS)
- Relay show no sign of failure and swapping out the relays for others has no change in result
- no blown fuses
- grounds are clean
- Removing the indicator relays (to turn off the ABS/TC dash warning) had no effect. Blaming lucas?
- Checked and verified that I am getting 12v at the power plug which attaches to the ABS booster pump.
- Tried this and the result was that I'm too late. A NEW, brand new, relay had no change in end result (
- I just found this and think I should try a brand new relay (https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/8-r...ter-stuck.html) regardless of the testing I performed already.)
I'm open to suggestions so please let me know what you think!
- Are the ABS and TC dash lights remaining lit because of the fault? - This wasn't covered in the RAVE description of what the lights do, OR, I misunderstood what I read.
- Could anything else prevent the ABS booster pump from engaging? The wiring diagram made this look pretty simple and I'm certain I covered everything down the line.