Rebuild EAS Delay Relay
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rebuild EAS Delay Relay

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Lightbulb Rebuild EAS Delay Relay

For the last month, EAS has been having intermittent faults which has disabled suspension until the system would magically reset. The faults would occur for no reason, at any speed, on any ground (level, un-level, etc) and was completely random. The truck could be working fine, at any height, then be locked at that height for hours.

I was able to diagnose the issue and determined that the delay relay (PN: AMR 1111) was hosed. If I flicked it while the system was in fault-mode, EAS would restart and continue to work as normal. I ended up sourcing a replacement relay which has solved all issues to date.

Looking at the insides of the bad relay, it looks as if the mini-relay (PN: V23072-C1061-A303) is bad and the cause of all problems. Allied Electronics sells these mini-relays and with some careful soldering, it looks that this part is serviceable. Looking to the future, should my RRC eat another relay I'd rather be able to fix it rather then source the part or order the brand new one.

Has anyone ever tried to fix these? Did it work afterwards?

Rebuild EAS Delay Relay-delay_relay.jpg
    1990 Range Rover
    1995 Range Rover LWB
    2006 Range Rover
    2004 Discovery 2

http://www.roverparts.com/News/archi...verSurgery.cfm
    http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...irs-60356.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Rebuild EAS Delay Relay

I'm not sure if it's the same relay. But my white eas relay, for the self leveling after it shuts off, was replaced with a normal relay. So it doesn't continue to try and level itself and drain the battery after the keys are removed.
    Kapn
    1993 Range Rover Classic (with functioning Air Suspension)

Banned

There's been a long running thread in the P38 forum about replacing the delay relay with a standard one to stop the self levelling when parked https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-r...-easy-way.html. Main problem seems to be that without the delay relay it isn't possible to connect the diagnostics so you will still need the delay relay to fit when you need to do that. As the EAS from the later Classic is identical to that on the P38, I suspect you'd have the same problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

I hook up my laptop and then turn on the key to the run position. Close all the doors and it works fine.
    Kapn
    1993 Range Rover Classic (with functioning Air Suspension)

SOPHOMORE ROVER

With the new relay everything is fine. I just wanted to know others experience with repairing the piece. The P38 thread is very interesting and good to know for in case of emergency. I think that I'll have to pickup the mini-relay and give it a shot - Worst case? A bad relay gets worse...
    1990 Range Rover
    1995 Range Rover LWB
    2006 Range Rover
    2004 Discovery 2

http://www.roverparts.com/News/archi...verSurgery.cfm
    http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...irs-60356.html

Very interesting thread.

I just fixed a line leak on my new right-rear airbag, and wanted to disable the self-leveling to make sure the leak was solved. So, I removed the delay relay and popped-in a spare Hella I had laying around. This performed exactly as outlined in this thread, with one unexpected benefit. I had the LWB parked in EAS extended setting when I fixed the leak and replaced the delay with a standard relay. Now, when the vehicle sits overnight (or longer than quick stop/park/start cycle) on start-up it defaults to extended height rather than standard height!

All other EAS functions are as normal - access to pick-up my Mom, highway etc. - and quick stop/start cycles will default to the last used height setting. At first I thought this was due to four people in the LWB, and an open door before shutting the engine off, preventing any pre-shut-off leveling. But the next morning, extended height is lit-up on the dash.

No additional cycling of the EAS system, no leak at the right-rear, and my LWB now sits at a static height when parked for a few days!!!
    Tom P.
    1965 exMod IIa 109 2.25p
    1995 RRC LWB 4.2L w/EAS
    1996 Discovery SD - Sold
    2025 = my next LR ?

Slight clarification on extended height...

My suspicion: because four people + gear were removed after parking, the now-unladen vehicle rose up from standard height. Next, without the delay relay and absence of self-leveling, at start-up the following morning sensor feedback simply interpreted "extended height". So no electrickery involved.

Either way I love it. No more settling while parked, the LWB sits at a more visually appealing height, and it ready for my typical short course around around our property before hitting the pavement!
    Tom P.
    1965 exMod IIa 109 2.25p
    1995 RRC LWB 4.2L w/EAS
    1996 Discovery SD - Sold
    2025 = my next LR ?

FRESHMAN ROVER

This thread makes my heart happy!!! I am SO GLAD to see others as excited about keeping their EAS and even tweak it to suit their fancies. I have altered the the heights to my desire on my '95. The default and high settings are higher than stock and the hghway mode is an inch lower than stock. My 'Rover, MY way : )

Thanks for contributing to the community!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shortbaldguy View Post
    This thread makes my heart happy!!! I am SO GLAD to see others as excited about keeping their EAS and even tweak it to suit their fancies.
    You should try looking at some of the posts on the P38 forum. Anyone asking a question about coils, or for advice after they have bought a car already on coils is always to put the EAS back. Maybe they get a little less stick here as the Classic came with both so by replacing the EAS with coils you are just backdating your car to the inferior system fitted previously. Land Rover didn't start fitting EAS just for the hell of it, they started fitting it to improve the ride, handling and safety of the car. Also, a Classic that has been converted to coils gives the worst of both worlds. A Classic that originally had coils also had the Boge self levelling unit, a car on EAS self levels anyway, a car that has had the EAS removed and coils fitted in their place almost always doesn't have the Boge unit fitted as well so there's no self levelling.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Did anyone ever try replacing the micro relay? I am happy to keep the self levelling function as I don't see it as such a big problem like some other do....
    1985 3.5 V8, Converted to Serpentine and 14CUX. EAS and BW Tbox

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have managed to find some replacement micro relays at a sensible price, will report back when I have attempted a repair
    1985 3.5 V8, Converted to Serpentine and 14CUX. EAS and BW Tbox

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now