New member with a new LWB project. - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New member with a new LWB project.

Re: New member with a new LWB project.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGilbert View Post
    ...This truck is all about lumbering about town and getting into the hills off the beaten path...
    That's about the same as mine, though I've decided to keep the 20 year old patina for this phase of my RRC's life. For 'off the beaten path' have you thought about recovery points for the front?

With the stock brush guard and SRS bumper, this can be problematic. I have a steering guard, which makes it even harder, but I've been able to loop a tree-saver through the steering guard as a recovery point. I have a hitch-mount shackle for the rear.
    Cheers,

pc

'95 RRC SWB Alpine White
    '95 RRC LWB Avalon Blue - Sold
    '15 E400 Cabriolet
    '06 E350 Sport (killed by friend's ex)
    '87 HD FLST with '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
    '02 Hobie Getaway

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
    That's about the same as mine, though I've decided to keep the 20 year old patina for this phase of my RRC's life. For 'off the beaten path' have you thought about recovery points for the front?

With the stock brush guard and SRS bumper, this can be problematic. I have a steering guard, which makes it even harder, but I've been able to loop a tree-saver through the steering guard as a recovery point. I have a hitch-mount shackle for the rear.
    Mine has the SRS bumper removed and a 94 bumper/brush guard installed. Still need to think about recovery points. For the rear, I'm going to go with a hitch shackle. the front is another story.

Installed two Cyclones yesterday to see if I like them. After looking at them for two days now, I'm going to Plasti Dip them gunmetal to see if I like it. If so, I'll have them powder coated.

Had one of my tires go the other day as it was from 1999! Ended up ordering a set of four Falken LA/AT LandAir tires in the hard-to-find 205/80/16 size. I'll post my findings when they're mounted this week.

Banned

It was the black wheels that made the tyres look bigger. Don't you think it looks far better with wheels the proper colour? I do. Why didn't you go for the 235/70x16 tyres as fitted to UK versions as they are far easier to find and put a bit more rubber on the road without looking larger?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

It's been a while since I posted an update on the truck. Whilst visiting Palm Springs with the lady, the transmission began slipping a bit. Flash forward to now, the transmission is toast. No forward or reverse. I plan on getting the unit completely rebuilt, but I'm still trying to find a good shop in Los Angeles who specializes in ZF transmissions, and finding someone knows the 4PH22 well enough to properly diagnose the issue.

Does anyone in SoCal have any recommendations?

Since my daily driver is a diesel BMW, I've also been toying around with the idea of swapping in an M57 3L diesel from the X5 into it.

Here's a few pictures of it sitting and running. Only modifications I've done recently were adding a battery kill switch. I've been starting it each week to keep the fluids happy while I wait to get the transmission fixed/replaced.

Finally had my transmission rebuilt by a reputable shop here in LA.

On the way home from the shop, some old suspension bushes fell out, so I took the time to replace all of them.

Next step is swapping out the beige carpet with black carpets from a 25th anniversary LWB. Managed to score a new in box complete carpet kit! Also plan on replacing all the factory speakers with aftermarket equivalents and having GB4x4 upgrade the factory woofer.

Snapped some pictures of how she currently sits. Managed to snag a good vanity plate as well.

Very nice! Since you’re changing the carpet, you should change the underpaymen/sponges as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

pc

'95 RRC SWB Alpine White
    '15 E400 Cabriolet
    '02 Hobie Getaway

Quote Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
    Very nice! Since you’re changing the carpet, you should change the underpaymen/sponges as well.
    That's a good idea! I was looking at adding DynaMat, then DynaPad on the floor. The factory foam (sponge) is definitely coming out. Can't believe they designed 'em that way. The only corrosion I've found on the truck is a small spot right under the driver's side heelpad.

Hi Mike,

We're all three years older and I'm glad to see that your RRC is going strong! Hope all continues and I'm sure you've gained lots of experience with RRC repairs!

All the best,

Bob

CSK
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Nice RRC Mike and great photos, looks like some a scene from a nuclear dystopia movie, in this case only your RRC survives!

So that's sitting with a 2" lift kit?....mine has started to sag (1990 Vogue) and I would like a similar stance.

Tyres look wider than 205's?

The amber fog lights are nice, Hella Comets?
    In V8 land we're better and we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobnmona View Post
    Hi Mike,

We're all three years older and I'm glad to see that your RRC is going strong! Hope all continues and I'm sure you've gained lots of experience with RRC repairs!

All the best,

Bob
    Thanks, Bob! I've definitely learned quite a bit over the years. Having a copy of RAVE has certainly helped haha!

Quote Originally Posted by CSK View Post
    Nice RRC Mike and great photos, looks like some a scene from a nuclear dystopia movie, in this case only your RRC survives!

So that's sitting with a 2" lift kit?....mine has started to sag (1990 Vogue) and I would like a similar stance.

Tyres look wider than 205's?

The amber fog lights are nice, Hella Comets?

Thanks!

Yes, it's currently on OME 2" springs and TerraFirma Shocks. I replaced the shocks as they were on their last legs. No complaints so far with the Terra Firmas.

The tires are the OEM sized Michelin Syncrone 205/80/16s and one Pirelli Scorpion ATR in the same 205/80/16 size. It could be all the light brown dust on the tires which is making them appear wider.

The fog lights are old BritPart replacements. I just photoshopped them yellow to see if I'd like the look (which I do now.) So I'll be grabbing a set of Hella 550s to install soon.

For those of you with softdash classics, the lower fuse fascia below the steering wheel, glove box and center cubby cover from the Disco I/II are a direct fit. I'm in the process of swapping over to a black interior, and they're much easier to source than Aspen/25th Edition bits. Be warned that the glove box from the D2 will take some adjusting to get it to latch closed.

Next mission is tackling the factory stereo. It was working well for years, but the factory speakers are getting tired, and the woofer has blown. I unplugged it from the HK amp and will send it to GB4x4 soon. I'm going to replace all of the factory speakers with modern equivalents and will document as much as possible as there doesn't seem to be much for the SoftDash crowd.

As far as keeping it OEM, I'm still torn between adding an aux-in to my factory radio, or going with something more contemporary. I'm big on the factory look, so a Becker Traffic Pro would be ideal. A new contender has arrived, though:

Joying has a new smaller 7" unit which has a similar "floating iPad" screen setup as found in newer cars: https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-ne...on-system.html

Looks like someone already mounted one in a DII which has the same center stack as my truck. As long as the unit will play nice with the HK amp, I'm game.

CSK
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Beautiful. I used to always look past white RRCs until seeing yours. Really tastefully done.
    In V8 land we're better and we know it.

Installed some 16x6.5" "Wolf" wheels. They're wearing 205/80/16 Falken Landair LA/AT skinny boiz, which were as close to the OEM Michelin XM+S 244s as I could find.

The ride is good, and the off road performance has been great so far. Took it up my usual urban off road course in East LA. It tackled the steep inclines with ease.

Curious, did you install the Joying unit? Since the soft dash HK system was Pre-MOST, it should have worked fine. I replaced my factory HU, with a Nakamichi Music Bank decades ago, but I’m swapping a Pioneer NEX unit to get CarPlay integration into the old girl...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

pc

'95 RRC SWB Alpine White
    '15 E400 Cabriolet
    '02 Hobie Getaway

I haven't done anything yet. Still weighing my options at this point. If/when I do, I'll make sure to include it in this thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now