New member with a new LWB project. - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New member with a new LWB project.

Re: New member with a new LWB project.

Not too much to report, but a few parts came in.

Picked up some new mudflaps, a polished aluminum OEM brush guard and a set of Cyclones with some nice Michelins on them. Gonna have to buy an angle grinde to take off the **** nuts on the old mudflaps. They're some sort of permanent bolt.

While diagnosing the lack of bass and rear audio, I discovered the previous owner took it upon himself to remove the subwoofer. Looks like I'm on the hunt for another part.

My $50 Conair clothing steamer worked wonders with the old brittle purple window tint.

New member with a new LWB project.-16434047546_d26071b398_b.jpg

Much better!

New member with a new LWB project.-16458313191_da1484c71d_b.jpg

I'm planning on plasti-dipping the polished brush bar back to black. Not sure the '90s California Chrome look is my style.

New member with a new LWB project.-16289527528_471d69eecd_o.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGilbert View Post
    ...I'm planning on plasti-dipping the polished brush bar back to black. Not sure the '90s California Chrome look is my style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16289527528_471d69eecd_o.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	116026
    Agree, it will look much better in black. Long time ago, I worked for LRNA and the engineers and fitters that came over from the UK used to poke fun at how so many cars in the states had so much chrome or bling. It only reinforced the notion in my mind that LR's shouldn't have any chrome...
    Cheers,

pc

'95 RRC SWB Alpine White
    '95 RRC LWB Avalon Blue - Sold
    '15 E400 Cabriolet
    '06 E350 Sport (killed by friend's ex)
    '87 HD FLST with '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
    '02 Hobie Getaway

Love a tine free Range Rover!
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
    It only reinforced the notion in my mind that LR's shouldn't have any chrome...
    Or bullbars/brushbars, it looks so much better without.

Hi Mike,

Just writing to say that the truck really looks good and the windows look great! My RRC has chromed bumpers and I like them, but my brush guards are all black and I agree with others, brush guards look better in black!

Have a great week!

Bob

Thanks, Bob! I agree that black looks much better on there.

While I love the angular styling of the front end, I have to put the brush guard on there. This build is fulfilling the dream car of my high school years. The car I lusted after, but never owned had brush guards.

When I purchased the truck, only the front speakers worked and the rear subwoofer was gone. Did some digging at a local junk yard and found the factory subwoofer, an extra amp and two mint rear speakers for $45. After hooking everything up, all is well again. Have a CD changer on order, and then I'll be back in business. If I get tired of CDs, I may opt for the AUX-in mod, or try to source a nice OEM-looking headunit. My top choices are the Blaupunkt RDM127 and the Becker Traffic Pro, which came in the Disco II and Freelander. I believe the ISO connections are a bit different, but both offer a proper 4-channel preamp output and AUX-in.

New member with a new LWB project.-fuzaxmz.jpg

Some new parts arrived today, so they went on this evening. While I like the look of the euro markers, there's something to be said for the NA-spec amber markers. The jury is still out on them.

The most fun I've had all week, has to go to removing the old mudflaps. The permanent hardware Land Rover used to install the factory flaps required an angle grinder and cutting disc to remove. The rears were easy enough to cut out as there was plenty of room to work. I did shield the fuel tank and filler lines in case any sparks found their way into places they shouldn't go. The fronts were the worst of it as there wasn't much room to work and the brackets themselves shielded the permanent nuts.

Took her out Tuesday for a drive up the canyons:

Also spotted this gem at the wrecking yard.

I'm quite a bit jealous of this local wrecking yard of yours. Mine aren't nearly as good of a source for parts. I love that white paint and clear greenhouse. The truck looks great.

I'm definitely lucky to have such a nice wrecker close by. Just noticed the instrument cluster surround has a crack in it, so I'm off to the yard to grab a replacement.

Picked up a working CD changer off ebay, but I can't seem to get it to power on. I'm hoping the 13-pin DIN plug is just disconnected from the back of the radio if it isn't, dropping the headliner and tracing the wires will be the next course of action. I'm tempted just to try the AUX-in mod listed on the main page.

Took her for a spin up in the Santa Monica hills on Monday. I definitely need to raise her 2-3" as the rear sags a bit.

I'm definitely lucky to have such a nice wrecker close by. Just noticed the instrument cluster surround has a crack in it, so I'm off to the yard to grab a replacement...
    Those bezels are hard to find these days, at least completely intact. I've heard a lot of folks just try to rebuild their cracked ones. So be careful removing yours. You may end up needing it.
    Cheers,

pc

'95 RRC SWB Alpine White
    '95 RRC LWB Avalon Blue - Sold
    '15 E400 Cabriolet
    '06 E350 Sport (killed by friend's ex)
    '87 HD FLST with '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
    '02 Hobie Getaway

It's been a while since my last update.

Recently I'd been having some mild temp fluctuations and was loosing coolant. Took it to my new favorite shop, Union Jack 4x4 in Garden Grove. http://www.yelp.com/biz/union-jack-4x4-rover-dude-garden-grove

As luck would have it, as I was pulling in, the temp spiked and the truck spit out a puddle of oil and coolant. Turns out it was the valley pan gasket.

John got the valley pan replaced, put in new motor mounts, bushings, installed my brush bar and installed a 2" OME lift. Couldn't be happier. With the new suspension and bushings, it rides better than ever. No more death wobble on sweeping highway corners.

Next items on the checklist are:

• hit up a PDR guy to remove a couple of minor dimples
    • build my own Overfinch-style double door seals
    • find an un-rusted tailgate latch (mine needs the key to function)
    • re-upholster the front seat bottoms
    • create a small rubber trim strip for the area below the tailgate
    • pick a color to power coat the cyclone wheels
    • re-do the wood veneer, possibly just hydrodip it
    • experiment with SEM color coat to change interior trim and carpet to black
    • replace tired door speakers and almost blown subwoofer
    • find a Blaupunkt RDM127 or RCM127 headunit

Banned

You've done a nice job on it even if it isn't to my taste. It looked near perfect in the pictures taken in February but now you've fitted the brush bar and lifted it, in my opinion you've spoilt the look (and made it roll like a ship on corners!). I know they were on it when you first got it but even the tyres look too big, the curvature of the outer edge of the tyre doesn't follow the curve of the wheelarches.

while ive just removed my lift, i like the look of the brush guard. looks naked without one imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbertd View Post
    You've done a nice job on it even if it isn't to my taste. It looked near perfect in the pictures taken in February but now you've fitted the brush bar and lifted it, in my opinion you've spoilt the look (and made it roll like a ship on corners!). I know they were on it when you first got it but even the tyres look too big, the curvature of the outer edge of the tyre doesn't follow the curve of the wheelarches.
    i think we can also agree its far and away in better care than before!
    '93 Range Rover County LWB 4.2
    '78 Porsche 928 5 Speed
    '02 P38 Westminster- sold

FRESHMAN ROVER

sydneyman, what are you flying in your avatar? looks big. you a AAZPA guy?

Thanks, guys. The first pictures were taken right after the OME kit was put on, so the springs hadn't fully settled. The tires are the stock 205/80/16 Michelin XMS 244s.

I'm trying to get this truck as similar as possible to a Range Rover I'd see as a teenager. As far as the body roll, the factory swaybars are still installed, so it's not too bad. I've got a sportier car when the mood strikes. This truck is all about lumbering about town and getting into the hills off the beaten path.

Added some old IPF yellow driving lights:
    New member with a new LWB project.-17802581115_45463e537c_h.jpg

Banned

The tires are the stock 205/80/16 Michelin XMS 244s.
    Strange, must be the black wheels that make them look bigger. An alternative that puts a bit more rubber on the road and was fitted to the LWB in the UK (as the LWB was only available in Vogue spec over here), is 235/70x16. Wider but the reduced aspect ratio keeps the same rolling circumference and a lot easier to find these days as the same size was used on the Discovery.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now