Arnott's air springs and Bilistein shocks.
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arnott's air springs and Bilistein shocks.

Arnott's air springs and Bilistein shocks.

I was considering redoing all the mechanical side of my EAS. I thought I would use the Arnott Series 3 spring and the Bilistein shock kit they also sell. The question is with the 2-3 inch increase in travel that the new airbags can supple, can the bilistein shocks cope with the extra travel?

also, does anyone know if the series 2 airbags and/or the replacement bladders also have extra travel?

Cheers,
    Dave.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    I don't believe the extra travel is on the series 2 bags. The bilstien and Gen III is a good combo. Both have a lifetime warranty. I'm partial to the new Old Man Emu shock myself. Only because from reading reviews it seems they are a happy medium between a little harsher Bilstien and a little softer stocker.

The stock travel distance for all direct fit shocks is 8 in. If you left the EAS computer alone you should not have a problem. I had my computer adjusted and have run into a problem but before that everything was perfect. I push my rover to the limit at least once a week and I wheel about 3 times a week. I have had it at full articulation and the shock did fully extend. The Gen III is about 20 1/2 inches fully extended. The rear shock is about 21 inches fully extended. I think the front Gen III are also 20 1/2 inches but the front shock only extends to about 19 inches.

If this concerns you and you still want the Gen III you can install a limit strap on the axels. I have been toying with the idea of getting a 2 inch square tube and bolting the bottom of the shock to one side and bolting the other side to the lower shock mount. I still haven't figured out whether this will effect the shock bottoming out when in access or during a fault. If it did bottom out MUCH more work is involved.

At any rate I still wouldn't trade my Gen IIIs for anything else.
    1999 Range Rover
    Callaway #42

Fix or upgrade your air suspension at Rover Renovations.

Hmmm, ok thanks...out of interest, how does this compare to the stock airbags?

I was going to change the settings in the EAS computer so I can have more lift in extended mode.

my other reason for changing to SIII/bilistein is also for better on road performance, does it handle alot better on the tarmac with that setup?

cheers,
    Dave.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FOUNDING MEMBER
    The GIII's are a significant improvement on and off road. When I first put mine on I was amazed (still am) at the difference in handling a properly designed spring can make.

The GIII's are much longer than stock, and the lower piston is re-disigned for a rising spring rate, the OEM has a fallling spring rate(=body roll...)

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    If you stay with the EAS, there is only so much travel in the hight sensors. Have you given any thought on how you would extend them?
    The shocks are fixed length and stop the axle dropping out - if you lengthen the shocks then you run the risk of popping the sensor off the axle and then a hard EAS fault.
    TTFN
    MJS
    Mornington, Vic. AU
    1996 HSE (Rosie) - Play toy
    1998 Ford Falcon (Rocket) - work vehicle
    2003 VW Kombi (Ruby) - family bus

JUNIOR ROVER
    I have that combo, and I adore it. I will be getting the EAS recalibrated at extended height a modest 1" increase as soon as I can. I'm almost sure my Bilsteins and Gen3's can accept that.
    PTM

2000 4.6 Vitesse Java Black with 120,000 miles riding on a healthy EAS

Quote Originally Posted by wpbcaptain
    I have that combo, and I adore it. I will be getting the EAS recalibrated at extended height a modest 1" increase as soon as I can. I'm almost sure my Bilsteins and Gen3's can accept that.
    Hi wpbcaptain,

Di you go further on this mod? I have the same combo and would have feedback on recalibration

Cheers

Flo
    1997 P38 4.6
    LPG
    SD L322 Rack adapted to P38
    DC5000 EAS Compressor
    Arnott Gen3
    RR-EVOLUTION protection for P38 : front diff guard, rear diff guard, steering guard, fuel tank
    32 inch BF KM2 tires
    Custom Mantec Snorkel
    RPI Sport Exhaust
    H4 Bixenons bulbs

JUNIOR ROVER
    Hi Flo, not as of yet. Dealers near me will not recal. the ride heights to an increased value. So, I was considering saving up for a Rovacom anyways...
    PTM

2000 4.6 Vitesse Java Black with 120,000 miles riding on a healthy EAS

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now