Pike's Peak
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: Pike's Peak

FRESHMAN ROVER

Pike's Peak

Hello Everyone,

So the other day I decided to see how the Rangie would perform climbing Pike's Peak, for those of you unfamiliar you drive up the side of a mountain to 14,110 Ft, a little intimidating for those who are not comfortable with heights. The drive up is half way on paved road and the other on dirt. Once I got to the dirt side I decided to drop it into low drive and engage the high mode and the truck couldn't have behaved better, the bumps were hardly noticeable and the truck climbed like a champ, as a matter of fact no other vehicle could keep up with me even a cheroke tried to, who I feel was a little offended wheen I passed him, and well they kept spinning out and loosing control, yet the rover never once lost grip on the road, mind you I never went faster than 34 Mph.
    The decent was even better, mostly you could smell nothing but hot brakes coming from everyone else, but in the Rangie on low I was mostly on the gas pedal and hardly on the brake. I really like how the transmition feels a lot like a manual, always slowing down when your foot is not on the gas. The biggest kick came half way, you see they have a person check the temperature of your brakes and well everyone in front and behind was told to pull over to let their brakes cool. Well next to the park ranger was a gentleman and when he saw me come, he looked at the park ranger and said "That's a Range Rover, you have nothing to worry about" and sure enough the guy even complimented me on how cold my brakes were and told me to continue.
    I have to say, I have been extremely pleased with this truck and I can't wait to see how she performs when the snow arrives.

On a side note can anyone recomend a good 18" tire that performs well off-road. The current tires that I have a very terrible with mud, not a lot of grip.

M
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Hi. I'm from Denver too. I'll have to go down to the Springs and try that myself sometime. I didn't realize it was as steep as you describe. I have Michelin 4x4 XPC's on mine. They've been great for me, especially in the snow. It's like you're on dry pavement between the Rangie and the Michelins. What tires do you have on yours?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Where in Denver

To be honest, it really is not that step, specially from someone from this parts, I put it in low during the climb to take it easier on the engine, the problem coming down is that I think a lot of people do not switch their vehicles to low and some even go up there in cars.

Let me know how you like the trip and thanks for the input on the tires I'll take a look at them

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Pike's Peak

Quote Originally Posted by maarjona
    Hello Everyone,

So the other day I decided to see how the Rangie would perform climbing Pike's Peak, for those of you unfamiliar you drive up the side of a mountain to 14,110 Ft, a little intimidating for those who are not comfortable with heights. The drive up is half way on paved road and the other on dirt. Once I got to the dirt side I decided to drop it into low drive and engage the high mode and the truck couldn't have behaved better, the bumps were hardly noticeable and the truck climbed like a champ, as a matter of fact no other vehicle could keep up with me even a cheroke tried to, who I feel was a little offended wheen I passed him, and well they kept spinning out and loosing control, yet the rover never once lost grip on the road, mind you I never went faster than 34 Mph.
    The decent was even better, mostly you could smell nothing but hot brakes coming from everyone else, but in the Rangie on low I was mostly on the gas pedal and hardly on the brake. I really like how the transmition feels a lot like a manual, always slowing down when your foot is not on the gas. The biggest kick came half way, you see they have a person check the temperature of your brakes and well everyone in front and behind was told to pull over to let their brakes cool. Well next to the park ranger was a gentleman and when he saw me come, he looked at the park ranger and said "That's a Range Rover, you have nothing to worry about" and sure enough the guy even complimented me on how cold my brakes were and told me to continue.
    I have to say, I have been extremely pleased with this truck and I can't wait to see how she performs when the snow arrives.

On a side note can anyone recomend a good 18" tire that performs well off-road. The current tires that I have a very terrible with mud, not a lot of grip.

M

Nitto Terra Grappler's are great 18" AT.
    Doug
    96 4.0 P38
    97 Audi A8 quattro
    61 Series II 109 Station Wagon
    88 Range Rover Classic SWB

FRESHMAN ROVER
    sounds like a nice drive! ill have to do that sometime.
    Arsell

99 4.6 HSE
    97 Discovery
    94 Discovery

FRESHMAN ROVER
    General Grabber AT2's work for me.

Marco
    2002 4.4 Vogue - Tungsten Grey / Lightstone
    2009 4.2 Jaguar XK Convertible - Black
    2017 2.0 Evoque - Seoul Pearl Silver / Ebony