Sticking Exhaust Valves
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sticking Exhaust Valves

Sticking Exhaust Valves

Hey Guys,

Anyone out there with a GEMS 4.0 that has had the "sticking exhaust valve problem?" I guess it's supposed to be a rather common fault on these engines as they age. Apparently the valves in this engine weren't cut to properly break carbon build up on the guides/stems.

The vehicle starts, idles, and runs fine but throws a check engine light under heavy accelleration indicating misfire on #8 cylinder and excessive emissions. I've changed the plugs and wires with no change. I'm presently awaiting the return of my injectors from refurbishment, but don't have a lot of hope that this will solve things.

I'm facing around $2K in repairs to get the heads rebuilt with new and proper valves. Anyone solved this with a less costly alternative?

Side note: I had to do a little window shopping for a new vehicle to try and bolster my dedication to my Rangie, and it worked. Both wifey and I agree, nothing compares to a Range Rover.. when it's working.

Best to all. Thanks.

RT
    92 RR Classic (retired waiting resto)
    95 RR Classic (sold)
    95 RR P38 4.0 SE (200K)
    96 RR P38 4.0 SE (240K)
    07 RR HSE L322 (110K)
    01 Toyota 4Runner (203K)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FOUNDING MEMBER
    guys on the discoweb tend to swear by a product called "seafoam". apparently you pour it into your crankcase and its supposed to clean out the valve train...

ive also heard it creates a hell of a smokey exhaust while your cleaning out your engine...
    Ken N.
    2001 P38A, 4.6 HSE
    95 DI

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Yes, search for my previous post about Seafoam. It's lots of fun. Your neighbors will hate you. But it might help your problem.

Scott
    1995 Classic LWB
    2000 DII

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hmmmmmm

I heard this problem was more in discos because they run a manifold like the classics where as the rangies run a far better manifold, almost as good as a tube header.
    The classic style header does not let engine breath as well the rangie ones and thats why discos seem to have this problem,well so I heard as I am running a 4.6 in my classic and was told this may be a problem I may end up with due to using my classic headers.[/i]
    1993 Range Rover 4.6
    Maxi Drive rear Difflock, Snorkel, Non Viscous LT230 Transfer case, 4.6 engine, Arnotts Gen III air Springs and Bilstiens.

1952 Series 1 80" Land Rover

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Sea Foam is great but DON'T put it in the oil it will destroy the engine seals. Run it through the upper plenum via a vacuum hose and through the fuel tank. Cleans like nobody's business.
    1999 Range Rover
    Callaway #42

Fix or upgrade your air suspension at Rover Renovations.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now