p38 plastic connection to radiator broke - any fixes??
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: p38 plastic connection to radiator broke - any fixes??

SOPHOMORE ROVER

p38 plastic connection to radiator broke - any fixes??

Not sure what this part is called, or how to explain it clearly, so attached a picture...

p38 plastic connection to radiator broke - any fixes??-rad-hose.jpg

But the plastic "nipple" on the top left of the radiator that has the narrow hose (that comes from the coolant tank) going into it has snapped off. I still have part of it and was thinking of trying to glue it on with some super industrial strength glue or something. But can't imagine that would last too long. And the plastic nipple I have still doesn't line up perfectly with what's pictured above (wasn't a clean break).

Any ideas on how to repair this without having to buy a whole new radiator?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: p38 plastic connection to radiator broke - any fixes??

Get a new radiator...
    Scotty, head womble ~ "Make Good Use of Bad Rubbish."
    1963 Series II A 88 Under going complete Restoration
    1996 Rangie; Milk Wagon Top Hat Motor completely rebuilt
    1999 Rangie; Callaway Epson Green completely Rebuilt
    2002 Rangie; Black on Black Restored to Original Condition

JUNIOR ROVER

Yeah, that's delicate but a very important connection to prevent overheating,
    Gavin
    1998 RR 4.6 HSE lpg
    Rovacomlite (all modules for a '98 GEMS P38, except Cruise Control)
    EAS Kicker (P38 & RRC)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

OK...well that's too bad. And that's all I need? A new rad will have that connection on the top (i.e. that's not another part that goes with the radiator)?

Is replacing the radiator DIY friendly? Or mechanic?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

This happened to me a while back. I leaned on that little nipple with my elbow and it broke off; unfortunately it was at temp and hot water and steam covered me and my garage. Had to get a new radiator; not difficult at all to put in.
    1999 4.6HSE ("Emma")
    1983 Porsche 944 (mint)
    1987 BMW 325i convert
    2002 ML 320
    1988 Jeep Cherokee (highly modified)

I agree the best way would be to get a new radiator. Fitting is quite easy, the radiator itself quite expensive though.
    As a temporary fix, if you need to drive the car, you could try to put a thin walled tube into the broken part to use as a reinforcement and to help glue the plasitc nipple back on. But you need to find a tube that's a very close fit and off course use high quality heat-resistant glue.
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': current daily
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper', built for offroad with tuned 4.6 on MS: lost in fire
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': awaiting attention
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired and stripped
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie' TR2 racer: sold

LEGACY VENDOR

I have successfully repaired two radiators with the above problem. But it is a repair that carries some risk so beware.

I found a suitable threaded insert with a barb to take a rubber hose which goes to the expansion tank. Drilled out the radiator where the nipple broke off and tapped a thread in the plastic to suit the brass insert. Very carefully as there is not much to play with. Then used an epoxy "plastic steel" glue and screwed in the insert but fitted and clamped the hose onto the insert first to make sure it would not be disturbed again.

Then using the area shown by the arrow I made sure the rubber pipe fitted snugly into the groove and fabricated a small clamp to fix the pipe in place. That way if the insert was ever to work loose it would not shoot off under pressure but merely start leaking giving you time to notice the water loss.

Better still buy a new radiator as mentioned but if you are on a tight budget it works. I used my daily driver for many thousands of miles like this before I splashed out a a new rad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p38 plastic connection to radiator broke - any fixes??-barb-fittings-flaredmipsxbarb.jpg   p38 plastic connection to radiator broke - any fixes??-rad-hose.jpg  
    P38 2002 4.6 Vogue
    L322 2011 4.4 TDV8. 2011 5.0 SC
    L320 2010 5.0 SC
    L319 2010 5.0 V8
    L538 2012 2.2.
    CAV GT40

LEGACY VENDOR

This is a repair I did using two brass inserts to get the correct size. I fitted the clamp after this pic was taken.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p38 plastic connection to radiator broke - any fixes??-dsc00778.jpg  
    P38 2002 4.6 Vogue
    L322 2011 4.4 TDV8. 2011 5.0 SC
    L320 2010 5.0 SC
    L319 2010 5.0 V8
    L538 2012 2.2.
    CAV GT40

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Thanks ghur...that looks like a pretty solid fix. Wish I had waited to see this before I did my fix (where did you find that brass fitting?). My fix is pretty "mickey mouse"....but I am driving up to San Francisco from Las Vegas (570 miles) in a couple of days and don't have time to order a new rad and install. I could go to a mechanic and they could get the OEM locally....but then I am paying through the nose full retail...which I can't really afford right now (and just before Xmas).

HOWEVER...what do you guys think of this fix....will it hold up on a long trip (I know it's hard to say from a picture)? That glue is an epoxy called J B Weld. It's as hard as a rock, has cured for 24 hours, and said to withstand temps up to 550 degrees. Was going to work on it some more (and better secure the hose and plastic insert as you suggested too) by putting another layer of JB Weld on there. I would rather have the brass fitting in there like you have....but would have to start over again.

p38 plastic connection to radiator broke - any fixes??-rad-fix.jpg

I sure wouldn;t trust my rig to one of those vacuum hose fittings. That is a road side disaster just waiting to happen. Remeber that your cooling system is presurised. THose cheap vacuum fittings are not rated for presure OR temperature.

Brass plumping fittings can be found at any Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace etc.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

SOPHOMORE ROVER

OK...I'll dismantle this and do the brass fitting route. My thinking was the piece that broke off the rad is plastic...so maybe this would work. But the heat and pressure was a worry of mine...

Thanks for your input!

FRESHMAN ROVER

I just had a pinhole leak on my 99 RR on the upper radiator hose, stealership wanted $120 for just the hose (no labor) so I can't even imagine what they would get you for a new radiator!

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I wish my fix looked as nice as yours ghur! Even if it's temporary...I am a stickler about stuff like this...and embarrassed how sloppy mine looks now. Just had never worked with JB Weld before...and wanted to make sure I got it on there well. Hopefully my Dremel tool will work to clean this up and open the hole more for the brass fitting. Heading to Home Depot now to find such a fitting (thanks for the pic too, as I am bringing that with me)
    Last edited by RRToadHall; December 18th, 2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: profanity bypass removed

Yes there is an automatic filter that blanks out any form of profanity as it violates the guidelines set down by our founder. There is no need at any time for any level of profanity to solve a technical issue.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Ghur...how did you "tap a thread in the plastic"? I was thinking I would just glue the insert in place with the JB Weld. Not sure how to create threads

Going to just cut off the plastic splicer I installed with a dremel tool...then clean up the hole and possibly open up a bit to fit whatever brass fitting I find. So far online haven't found exactly what you have pictured, but have found similar with both ends being like the right side of what you have (the non-threaded side). Figured I would just glue the insert in place.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now