Door latch/door power related? Lost power to door. Car alarm cannot turn off.
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Door latch/door power related? Lost power to door. Car alarm cannot turn off.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Door latch/door power related? Lost power to door. Car alarm cannot turn off.

I live in the semi boonies. There is no dealer, no testbook, etc.

1995 HSE. Remote doesn't work. Have been using just the key for years. Last week went to unlock car, only driver door unlocked, rest of locks did not pop up as usual. Tried to start car, car alarm goes off. Best I can figure, car still thinks it is locked and alarm is armed, so cannot start/drive car. Driver door has no power, in addition to locks not popping up, window will not roll up/down. I know the door latch going bad is common, but will a bad latch also cause the other power features of the door to not work?

Everyone says these cars never fail suddenly, there are usually "signs." These are some of the signs I got: I would get a random message saying my tailgate was open even if it was not. Also, the power windows would function sporadically, the up and down motion would be very jerky. I could hear strange electrical noises coming from the driver door, I'll almost say electrical "sizzling" noises, but no electrical smells or smoke associated.

I'm no mechanic. I did take apart the door. Swapped those outstations, look for obvious wiring issues including the a pillar connections and see nothing obviously wrong. That is the extent of my car skills.

This car is basically my surf car. Its not pretty, but it is functional, and up to now has been more or less reliable. It's to the point where I am unwilling to spend huge money to keep this car going, so if it sounds expensive, I am willing to walk away from this car. If it's likely a cheap fix, I'll go for it. But if it sounds very involved, I'll need to weigh the benefits.

Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.
    1995 4.0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Door latch/door power related? Lost power to door. Car alarm cannot turn off.

Same thing that's been covered dozens and dozens of times. Your latch failed, you have no remote and you will soon be stranded. Your rig gave you plenty of warnings and hints to take care of her and now she is mad at you.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

Re: Door latch/door power related? Lost power to door. Car alarm cannot turn off.

you had a warning, the remote not working, the random messages, the BECm trying to find out if the door is locked or unlocked...

I would change the door latch and get a new remote (get both) and start from there.
    RRP38 96 NiagaraGrey DSE
    D90 00 Blue ST TD5
    SIII88 75 Sand Diesel
    124 SportCoupé 73 Blue 1.8

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

So a bad door lock actuator will cause the entire door to lose power? Locks/windows? Just want to make sure I'm chasing the right problem before I spend big bucks on a part.
    1995 4.0

Locks yes, windows no. By not having the drivers door latch working you will get random lock/unlock, opening the door and all others stay locked, not being able to insert the EKA code.

If you are experimenting window troubles and don´t think it will be associated, unless if it´s the door outerstation. but those windows regulators do fail.

I would get down to test those electrical connections with proper equipment. With some diagnostics it´s possible to find out what´s working and what´s not..
    RRP38 96 NiagaraGrey DSE
    D90 00 Blue ST TD5
    SIII88 75 Sand Diesel
    124 SportCoupé 73 Blue 1.8

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now