**INFO** P38 Alpine/DSP Amp Connections and wiring
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: **INFO** P38 Alpine/DSP Amp Connections and wiring

**INFO** P38 Alpine/DSP Amp Connections and wiring

Hi All,

This is more an informative post, rather than one asking for help per-se...

I've been working on getting a stereo system to work in my 2001 Vogue, as when I bought it the DSP amp was missing...

After a lot of searching on the web, and hours in the ETM trying to collate all the information, and find out missing bits, what everything connects to etc - and with a bit of searching on a couple of BMW forums for pinouts in their vehicles that use the same sort of system (sadly not an identical amp though ) I've managed to find out what everything does, including polarities for the speaker connections, head unit connections etc (which the ETM doesn't have)

So, as it was a wet, horrible day here in England, and with tyring to sort through to find come cable colours to wire in my crossover circuits I've built, I figured I'd put it all in one spreadsheet..

And after a few hours work, looking in the ETM again, and collating my pages of notes, I have attached the PDF file to this post.

I know there were a couple of threads where people were asking what connector did what, where it went, how it was wired etc - so instead of posting this in numerous threads, I figured it was easier to start this.

Anyway, I hope this is useful, or informative to some... If you find any errors or omissions, then don't hesitate to let me know, and I'll amend the document - I've tried to get complete accuracy, but there were a couple of bits in the ETM where there was no information (CD changer was a bit sketchy) so have tried as best as I can to search the web for correct info..

Please note also... this is ONLY for the models with the single DSP amplifier in the boot (1999MY On), NOT earlier models with the individual door amps (up to 1999MY).

Let me know if it's any use!

Cheers,
    Marty

P38 Premium Stereo Wiring.pdf
    ------------------------------------------------
    '01 4.6 Vogue Black/Lightstone "Snog" -- Bought Jan 2012
    '99 4.6 HSE Cobar Blue/Lightstone -- Sold March 2009
    '95 4.6 HSE Epsom Green/Tan -- Traded June 2008
    http://p38webshop.co.uk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: **INFO** P38 Alpine/DSP Amp Connections and wiring

Great stuff
    thanks for all your hard work!
    “This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.”
    (Sigmund Freud...referring to Landie owners in general and P38a fanatics in particular..apparently

MY99 P38 4.6 (Thor) with general personality disorder...

SENIOR ROVER

Wonderful!

Gem!
    2001 HSE "Sandy"on air.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

No worries

I'm looking at getting an oscilloscope at some point, to measure the output voltages of the audio signal from the factory Nav system, so I can try and amplify it to work with either an aftermarket head unit, or standalone speaker... I've done some long web searches, and haven't managed to find anything regarding the output level... also considering putting in a 7" tablet or one of the el-cheapo win CE 7" nav systems available on Ebay - as a replacement for the factory system. Then I'd still have the issue of routing the nav audio to the speakers - but I think I'd investigate whether a telemute lead would work...

The possibilities are almost endless... it's more the implementation which is a pain, largely due to lack of technical info..

Ideas/Thoughts welcome - but whatever I end up doing - I'll post up any other technical info I find that may be useful to others!

Cheers,
    Marty

Premium Member

great info Marty, i lost the other thread but did find out why the speaker didn't work with the amp? could you give it another preamp source so the telemute is out of the loop? defo get an oscilloscope if you can, my clarion sadly demised long before i had the chance to get a signal from it.
    Larry S
    1995 4.6 HSE

Hey Larry!

Don't have any form of telemute at the moment in the vehicle, was just another theory of making things work!

I've tried a 12W amplifier with a speaker, directly on the output on of the factory Nav system, and get nothing out of it... I do get some form of noise/interference when the amp is turned up, and I get varying levels of noise if you try to adjust the volume from the factory nav screen - but no audio tones etc. I know that the Nav mute line goes to ground when the Sat Nav tries to make a noise - I can measure that on multi-meter. I just need to figure out whether the nav output is such a low level, that it needs a pre-amp on it aswell before the main amplifier...

I have a pre-amp (that I tried on the subwoofer, and it was too much) so might try hooking that up to the factory nav and then the amp and see what happens...

I know the amplifier circuit that I made works, as I bench tested it with my mp3 player, to make sure that all the connections were correct etc...

I'll figure it all out one day!

Marty

Premium Member

i was thinking the mp3 as the [preamp] source into your amp and onto the speaker your choosing, leaving the nav unit (and any telemute) out of it. there is a test with a AA battery primarily to check the phase, but it's as good to see the cone working or the wiring is good. I may have misunderstood where your talking about speaker's in the car or via bench testing, apologies if thats the case.
    Larry S
    1995 4.6 HSE

Hi Larry,

No worries... My setup is a little different to your understanding - probably because my explanation was more of how the thoughts came out of my head!

The setup was an amplifier module I bought (a Kemo Electronics 12W universal one) with an input from my mp3 player as a source (on the workbench for testing) and an 8ohm speaker that I found under the drivers side trim, from a Nokia car kit, connected to the amplifier output.

I then transferred the circuit to the car, and connected the Nav system to the input (instead of mp3 player) and tried to see if I got any audio output. Nada... nothing.. zip.. I got some noises, and they changed when I adjusted the volume, but not the spoken words like the nav system is supposed to have.

As an update from this afternoon... I pulled the Nav Computer from the car, put it on the workbench and pulled it to bits. I figured I'd try and trace the audio output pins back to whatever drove them, and then see if I could find any info from there.

With a bit of blind luck (tracing the pins was a complete bugger as the board is multi-layered - with probably at least 1, maybe 2 internal tracks sandwiched) I found a chip that seemed to link to the pins, and did a google search for the chip.

It's a Philips DA7052A chip, which after some searching showed up as a mono amplifier chip. I managed to track a datasheet down, and it's a 1W amp, designed for either an 8 or 16ohm speaker....

Could it be that simple?? simply wire an 8ohm speaker to the nav output pins??... I put the unit back together, installed in the RR, and connected the speaker I had from the hands-free kit to the nav audio pins in the boot with a bit of choc block, and key in ignition stage I - nav unit powers up.. go into the menu settings, and change the volume... "softer, softer, louder, louder, louder" as I turned the rotary dial...

So.. the next step (when it's not raining again) is to connect the nav system wires to one of the sets of spare lines I ran when the carpet was up, and will re-mount the speaker under the drivers trim, and I should have Nav with audio !!! independant of the stereo, so it'll talk to me over the music. My head unit does have a mute line in, so if I find it is too hard to hear, then I'll connect the Nav Mute to the head unit, then it'll mute the stereo when the sat nav talks.

So for anyone else out there who's upgrades the head unit, and had factory nav... all you need is an 8ohm speaker...

Now... just to boost the line level signal to the subwoofer input, so the sub is proportionate to the rest of the system...

Cheers,
    Marty

davewp38

Great info/details, Marty - and very useful..
    how Rave should be !!

fem
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Wow... thanks for the info! This will come helpful when I decide to upgrade (so far I have been reluctant to mess with it!).

Updated version of the pdf file attached...

Has updated info on the CD changer wiring.

If anyone has tried and tested data on the CD changer to verify the pinouts, then let me know, as I don't have the factory CD changer or head unit....

Cheers all,

Marty

P38 Premium Stereo Wiring.pdf

Premium Member

Just my quick thought is does the harnesses - i presume you still have these - match? not that i'm asking you check
    Larry S
    1995 4.6 HSE

Hi Larry,

Yes, I do have the wiring harness still there, and from memory the wiring does match - but will double check tomorrow if i get the chance..

I'm in the middle of installing a 7" Tablet in where my factory nav screen is... so have the dash apart/ radio cables accessible...

It was more a request for the actual cable functions, since the info I got from wkipedia regarding the pinouts appears to be backwards, and the wiring colours probably differ in different vehicles, even though the pin configs are probably the same!

Maybe asking if anyone had tested the pin functions would have been better!

I'll do a write up with pics when I've got the navigation tablet installed, for those who are interested in a relatively low cost after market option...

Marty

JUNIOR ROVER

The Nav unit in mine was the original Carin etc etc. but instead of bewing "built in", the display had been installed on a bracket in front of the cubby space below the central heater vents... It shook a lot at 100kmh!! In the end I removed the whole thing. Then I discovered that it had also been linked to a reversing sensor on the passenger side...but had never operated as best I know. Your diagram however has resolved a lingering "what if"... The reason for removing the complete works was that the price being demanded here for an updated map CD to drive the Nav however was double that for a complete navigator with updated maps and superior sat tracking!!!
    cheers
    “This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.”
    (Sigmund Freud...referring to Landie owners in general and P38a fanatics in particular..apparently

MY99 P38 4.6 (Thor) with general personality disorder...

davewp38

Thanks for the updated info, Marty, great spreadsheet approach, more useful than some RAVE.... [Maybe send it to LR for info too - for a suitable fee ?!]

Larry; No need for metering out the loom thanks to that diagram I posted on the other recent related (iPod) thread from Chris64 ?! (As below, again..)

Hoges, was the purpose of that reversing facility to inhibit the ICE sound ? [Yes, 'inbuilt' Nav seems to be 3-5 times more expensive than 'aftermarket'... must be the cost of all those plastic mouldings ??!]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails **INFO** P38 Alpine/DSP Amp Connections and wiring-alpinecddesignations.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now