Death wobble.
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: Death wobble.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Death wobble.

Just a quick bit of information that may help others.

I replaced the power steering damper strut, a couple of days ago, and the difference to the accuracy of the steering is huge. It took 20 minutes and I couldn't believe the improvement, no more leaping and hopping on a bumpy road.

I bought a Bilstein steering damper from Rimmer Bros. and it is worth every penny.

Pierre3.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Death wobble.

If you really do have death wobble as you say, I would be careful with just writing off the steering stabilizer being the fix. Most of the time, an upgraded steering stabilizer will just mask the true problem. If I were you, take a close look and test the balljoints on both sides of your rover. Then check all the tie-rod ends for the drag link and anti roll bar links and bushings.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

don't forget to get your wheels balanced as this is the real issue for wheel shimming(poor tyre ware most likely brought about by poor steering components)?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Mine steered like crap because of worn tyres...

FRESHMAN ROVER

The Rimmer bros video series on Death Wobble, 3 parts, at least shows the cheapest to most expensive way to approach the repair. I never did find the 4th part mentioned in part 3.

Don't forget an alignment if you are overdue or showing tire wear. I would do that anyway just so you start from a known good position.
    1996 Discovery, highly modified off-roader
    1999 Discovery, last of the unmolested, but not for long
    2000 RR 4.6 HSE, mostly stock and I like it that way (Sold)
    2000 RR 4.6 HSE, mostly dead, not quite dead yet (Sale pending)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for all the replies.

My tyres, tracking and balance are all correct as I have just fitted new Pirelli road tyres, and I had those things done at the time of fitting the tyres.

But, I will have a look at the issues mentioned by DaGlitch over the next week or so. I will be replacing the drag link and anti-roll bar bushes fairly shortly.

But, the vehicles doesn't wander anywhere near a badly as it did before I changed the steering damper.

Pierre3.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Tyres, wheel nuts, spigot rings, balanced wheels, steering damper (but DaGLitch's comment is spot on, and when I got mine my damper was covering a whole load of issues), anti roll bushes, dampers, track road ends/ drag link, radius arm bushes, panhard rod. (if you have lift or coil conversion then there's probably a few other things to consider
    It's easy to follow the Rimmer videos sequentially and replace stuff that doesn't need doing I know I did ) If you have poly bushes in the radius arms start there... after six months of messing that's what did it for me - that and changing the wheel nuts from what the PO gave me for a new set.
    1998 Defender 50th 4.0L V8 Auto
    1998 Range Rover 50th 4.6L V8 Auto
    Toylander Series 2A

Previously
    1980 SIII 2.25 petrol
    1997 200 Tdi CSW

FRESHMAN ROVER

I will follow these suggestions when I get the vehicle in for a service shortly. I will replace the anti-roll bar bushes and track rod ends first, and I have already asked my garage guy to order the parts. They should arrive in a week or so.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Pierre3.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now