Did you modify the exhaust of your V8?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did you modify the exhaust of your V8?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Did you modify the exhaust of your V8?

Just out ouf curiosity;

Did you do something to your exhaust to make it sound better? If yes, what did you do? Did you get the expected result?

The Rover V8 is a V8 what sounds pretty good, but the Yanks have set a standard what is hard to meet, my opinion.
    I had a Mercedes 350SE (V from 1972 with a 5 liter V8 from a 1985 model, home made exhaust with a 40cm muffler, sounded alright, not loud, but very penetrating, if you were on 10 or 50 meters distance, it sounded the same, the cops were the only ones who didn't like it.

Now I have a Disco 1 and a P38, both 4.6, both non stock exhausts, both have home made exhausts, Disco also has a home made muffler, P38 has a Hooker aeroflow muffler but has 2 pipes on either side with 2 tips on either side.
    Disco has 2 2" pipes what stop just before the rear axle.

When my wife drives the Disco and I hear it coming from a distance it sounds beautiful, when you drive it yourself it has a bit of drone, when you hear it in the distance it has a good note to it.

The other day I drove behind my P38, my wife drove my P38, when she stepped on it it sounded really good. Throaty and raw, but distinguised, the same as when you drive it..

The other day I heard a (I think) stock V8, sounds good too!

The P38 sounds really good with just the cats and a "hot dog" to take the edge of, but it was probably to loud to pass the roadworthy test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_O07U3I7_M

So, what did you do to make your V8 sound better?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Did you modify the exhaust of your V8?

Near side needed replacing from cat back, bought a system online which simply removes the middle silencer, uk mot no issue, have got the same pipe to do the offside (rhd!). Car sounds nice and fruity not noisy or intrusive in fact a local police officer recorded it going passed and compared it to something he’d found on YouTube and we both agree mine sounds better. I believe I paid £55 each side but may need to add the rear silencers this year to keep it nice but gas safe ie fumes not entering the cabin

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Did you modify the exhaust of your V8?

A fairly conmmon mod in the UK is to leave the cats and rear boxes but replace the centre box with a straight through length of pipe. Sounds nice with a decent rumble without being too loud.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now