Centreconsole storage box.
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Centreconsole storage box.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Centreconsole storage box.

I wonder whether someone could tell me how to remove and replace the pressurised ram that lifts the centre console lid ?

The lid in my car has the "cupholders" piece, underneath the storage box lid, and when you press the release button, which is attached to the electric window switch panel, the lid does nothing, it doesn't rise as it should. I have been looking at the ram and there is no pressure init.

I have ordered a new one from Rimmer Bros, but on my car it looks to be fixed with a type of rivet. I am looking for suggestions on how to refix the new ram. It looks like I need to grind off the head of the existing rivet and fix the new one with nuts and bolts.

Any ideas, perhaps ?

Pierre3.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    My RR 20+ yo, so hard to say what is original. I wd fix the free end with a small cotter pin and spring clip (or a small bolt and nylon), the other end fixes to the post using a star washer. I think the original uses a capped star washer, which will lever off. After replacing the strut my lid still does not pop up on its own, let me know if you have more luck
    1998 Defender 50th 4.0L V8 Auto
    1998 Range Rover 50th 4.6L V8 Auto
    Toylander Series 2A

Previously
    1980 SIII 2.25 petrol
    1997 200 Tdi CSW

Re: Centreconsole storage box.

This was one of the first things I fixed on mine. But yeah, you’re on the right track.... drill the rivet and replace with an appropriately sized nut and bolt. I used a dab of blue thread locker for good measure. Still good two years later!
    -Gene

'02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    '87 325is (s52'd)
    '95 525iT

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Centreconsole storage box.

Hi, I have had a closer look at the bits and pieces, and Romanrob you are quite correct about the fixings. I got the black-capped star washer guy off, with no damage [I have seen the little legs on these fixing break off in the past].

The other end is a bit of a nuisance, as it is held with a rivet. As both Romanrob and Blackspeed66, [Thank you both, guys], say - drill out the small rivet and fix with a small nut and bolt , or cotter pin and spring clip. I think that the nut and bolt is the most likely option, as I would have something this small in my parts bin.

Romanrob, there is very little pressure in my strut, and I might just fit a second spring on the non-sprung side of the hinge. I wonder whether the extra weight of the cup holder fitting may be contributing to the lid not rising up when the release button is pressed. I will post the result here next week, when I have got the bits and fitted them. I do hope that the new strut fixes the problem because I find it a bit of a nuisance always having to use two hands to open the storage box.

When I think about it, could it be possible that the lid is rising but gets stopped by one of the armrests ? I had to do a job on the drivers side armrest, in my vehicle, because it had come loose and was wobbling about, and lining up too far across the lid of the storage box. This meant either lifting the armrest right up, or pulling the armrest in towards the seat. I refitted the armrest and also put a big pipe over the armrest and pulled it back, towards the seat base, therefore twisting slightly the frame in the back of the seat. Now it is tight, aand at the right angle horizontally again.

Pierre3.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now