Rear end kicks right over speed humps
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear end kicks right over speed humps

FRESHMAN ROVER

Rear end kicks right over speed humps

Anyone had this? Will be checking alignment, bushes etc. there is no noise so thinking something may be bent rather than a worn bush. Panhard rods perhaps? It does feel much softer on the right rear too in that it seems to sink more and the left front lifts a bit more. It’s only on speed bumps I can feel it - but it’s very noticeable. Reaches for string, measuring tape and bars...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Rear end kicks right over speed humps

It will and it's normal on a P38 and any other vehicle using trailing arms, a solid axle and panhard rod. Think about it, the axle is on trailing arms to keep the wheels pointing in the right direction but as the body moves up and down on the suspension, the panhard rod, being a fixed length and attached to the left side of the body and the right end of the axle, will move the body from side to side. It's very noticeable if you drop the suspension down to access height and look at the car from the back. The rear wheels will look as if they are offset to the right in relation to the body. Then put the suspension on high and look again, the wheels will have moved towards the left side of the car (or more correctly, the body will have moved to the right). Normally you wouldn't notice it but when going over a speed hump, the rear wheels will drop downwards quickly and extend the suspension, which pulls the body over to the right enough for you to feel it through the seat of your pants. Take the speed bumps slower and you won't notice it.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks for the detailed explanation-that’s exactly what I’m feeling and it doesn’t do it at slow speed. The tyres are also wearing correctly so yep must be a p38 feature. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now