Have I blown something in my BeCM?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Have I blown something in my BeCM?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Have I blown something in my BeCM?

So today I decided to change the throttle body return hose because there was a crack in the rubber at the throttle body end. In order to dissconnect and remove it from the overflow tank I moved the fuse box out of the way. When doing this I briefly shorted BeCM contact #3 which is underneath the box to the rectangular post that holds up the fuse box. Now I get a dashboard display saying Fuse 12, 13, 14 and 15 have failed but they are all good. I cannot shift out of Park because the BeCM thinks that fuse has failed (I guess). The right headlight which is supposed to be a daytime running light is off. When I shut off the engine I can hear a relay clicking in the BeCM but if I open the driver's door this stops.

I dissconnected the battery and reconnected. At some point I am getting a Diagnostic Mode message on the display and the key does nothing in that case but eventually I was able to start the car and move it. If I then shut it off I go back to the display showing failed fuses and cannot get out of park. When I first used my Hawkeye it found a bunch of communication faults and maybe some others which I cleared. Now it does not find any faults in Body Electrics. Right now I have the battery dissconnected and tomorrow I will check all the fuses again and maybe switch out any potentially related relays. Any thoughts from the BeCM gurus would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Have I blown something in my BeCM?

F12, 13, 14 and 15 are all fed from the one supply from BeCM feed 3. That is fed from Maxi fuse 4 in the underbonnet fusebox which you have probably blown.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hello Richard and thanks for the reply. I thought I checked that fuse but will try again.
    regards,
    Gordon

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hello Richard
    Ok, I checked the maxi fuses again and you are correct. It is just a blown 60 amp maxi. Changed this and all is OK. Thank goodness for that. I will not have to drink that entire bottle of wine I purchased. I can save some for tomorrow. Sorry for the post. I should have checked better. Good to see the fuses are protecting the BeCM.

Now if I could just get a new sensor for my washer fluid tank so that the dash did not always tell me the washer fluid level was low I would have everything working. I have looked for this on various sites and not found a replacement. Is there some way I could fool this system? Short out the sensor or add a resistor?
    Thanks
    Gordon

Glad that it was only a fuse!
    Be nice if the Becm knew when a Maxi was blown, but it is an old Cpu and a bit limited......
    Shame they wasted so much memory space on the alarm.......

Coincidentally, I changed the same hose and plastic tube today on the Borrego. (Small leak at the Throttle body)
    If you remove the return line at the top of the tank first, you can gently lift the front facing end of the tank up and it will pop right out.
    It is only clipped in. You then have good access to the bottom line to replace it.
    It is a LOT easier to thread the black nylon tube if you remove the short rubber hose from one of the ends.
    The cunning stainless clip comes off and on very easily.
    Thanks for the reminder about the sensor......I keep forgetting to grab one at the wreckers whenever I pay a visit.
    1952 Austin Champ (Hawaii)
    1953 Austin Champ (Australia)
    1985 Classic w/ Tdi300 (Australia)
    2002 4.6 HSE, White "Bolt" Hawaii Daily driver. Now the "Boat Car" here on the West Coast
    2002 4.6 HSE Borrego Yellow "Digby" Wife has absconded with Borrego as the Dog Taxi

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Yes, it would have been nice if the BeCM said the maxi fuse was the problem instead of causing all sorts of weird issues like the relay clicking until the driver's door was opened. I really thought something major was blown. It would also have been nice if LR had put insulating covers over those three BeCM terminals under the fuse box.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now