No forward motion -diesel P38
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No forward motion -diesel P38

JUNIOR ROVER

No forward motion -diesel P38

Hi,

My car (diesel-chipped, having 4HP22 box) had the habit of not shifting to 2nd to 3rd until the RPM goes beyond 3000. This behaviour was observed since December last year. Initially, it was till the engine warmed up. Later on it continued irrespective of engine temperature but started after running about 15 mts or so and continued for 2-3 KMs.
    Today, when I return from office, suddenly it refused to move irrespective of gear position D to 1, but I was able to reverse.

Called a flat bed and hauled it home. Checked oil level it's okay and colour is normal. Infact oil was changed about 8000 KM ago.
    Even after cooling down the symptoms remain same. Checked with Nanocom and got the fault message;
    "Anti stall fault ( invalid shaft sensor..........)"

What could be the culprit ?
    Is it time to replace the gear box?

thanks in advance.
    P38 - 1997 2.5 DSE
    CLASSIC - 1982 ,2.4 VM DIESEL(In complete Project-sold)
    TOYOTA CORSA -1998, 1.5 TURBO DIESEL (sold)

Haven't heard of Murphy's Law, go buy a RANGE ROVER.!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: No forward motion -diesel P38

If you've got a spare gearbox, then swap them but if you don't, have a look at the sensor it is complaining about. As for the shift points, I've only experience with the V8s but I do maintain a '99 DSE and that hangs onto each gear until 3,000 rpm so I assumed it is normal for a diesel.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

JUNIOR ROVER

Thanks Richard G.
    Your DSE comes with EGR, I guess. Mine is not.
    I'm having this car for more than 10 years and it 's upward shifts were always around 2000 RPM. Ofcourse with "Sport" button pressed it holds on up to about 3000 RPM.
    Any idea where this sensor located?
    Knowing the symptoms I already got down a replacement (with code 065, Dave 3D's idea) but then it's a heavy piece & I wonder whether it's a DIY job without a car lift.
    P38 - 1997 2.5 DSE

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

This document details ZF box used in petrol cars but not diesels.

http://84.22.143.158/files/Land Rover/Land Rover 4-speed Electronic Automatic Transmission System.pdf
    P38 - 1997 2.5 DSE

JUNIOR ROVER

Can't connect to the document but there are only two gearboxes, the ZF 4HP24 fitted to the 4.6 litre petrol and the ZF 4HP22, fitted to the 4.0 litre petrol and the diesel. As far as I know, the actual gearbox is the same, it is just the ECU that differs between the 4.0 litre petrol version and the diesel version.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

JUNIOR ROVER

Google "Land Rover 4HP22 transmission system" and the 5th item on the list is the particular PDF.

But the document specifically mentions- 'not valid for diesel P38 Rangerover'.

Anyway, found that the speed sensor is inside the box hidden behind the valve block. I deleted the fault message and thereafter it didn't appear though the car's behaviour remains as it is.
    In that case, is the speed sensor, the actual culprit? or could it be forward clutch giving up?
    P38 - 1997 2.5 DSE

JUNIOR ROVER

Regarding your question of whether transmission service is a DIYable job, it certainly is.

I've done mine few years ago, and honestly, it wasn't all that bad. I bought extra long jack stands to obtain enough clearance below the car to get the transmission out as well as purchase a scissor lift and a transmission jack.

I also split the transfer case from the transmission first to lighten up things.
    02 P38
    SoCal, USA

JUNIOR ROVER

I have the jack stands but no scissor /transmission jack. Thought of converting a trolley jack for the purpose.
    Also, RAVE doesn't say anything about removing the exhaust section for the diesel, but looking at the setting undr the car I think the exhaust should be removed.
    Thinking of replacing the crank oil seal at the same time. Any ideas?
    P38 - 1997 2.5 DSE

JUNIOR ROVER

My experience is with Bosch engine, so can't comment as to the procedures specific to diesel, but my guess is at least part of exhaust system has to come out. In the process of removing the transmission, entire engine/transmission unit is tilted down somewhat after the cross member comes out, so it can't be a good idea to have anything longitudinally extended in place.

It's not necessary to have a dedicated transmission jack, but it certainly helps to have 2 scissor lifts. Transfer case and transmission is rather heavy. It's a really good idea to have a support that is stable. Here in the US, we have access to inexpensive tools from such outlet as Harborfreight, so I purchased scissor lift for about $100 USD each. The reason you need 2 scissor lifts is to align the engine and transmission up. It is, I imagine, possible to substitute a trolley jack to support the engine, while you line up the transmission with a trolley jack.

I didn't replace anything other than transmission related in my project. It depends on what the condition of the seal looks like when you open yours up.
    02 P38
    SoCal, USA

JUNIOR ROVER

Thanks.
    All oil seals appear okay. Nowadays, I'm going through all transmission swap threads, to learn .
    Also, trying to work out something with the trolley jack to use it as a transmission jack.
    Hope to start soon.
    P38 - 1997 2.5 DSE

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now