Rear passenger foot light.
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear passenger foot light.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Rear passenger foot light.

Hi, I wonder whether anyone could tell me the correct description of the rear passenger foot light in the centre console, below the rear ashtray ?

I would be grateful if some-one might also tell me where I could get one as the one in my P38 is just hanging loose.

Also, what is usually fitted under the two front seats, above the surrounding base of the seats, which would close off access to the cables connected to the heated seats ? On my P38 it is just open, as if a plastic cover has been removed to get at the under side of the seat.

Sorry, I forgot - another missing plastic panel ? What is usually behind the glove box ? When I open the glove box the lid drops right down, sort of facing the floor, and I can see right under the dashboard. I am sure that there would normally some sort of blanking panel behind the glove box. Perhaps some-one can tell me ?

Pierre3.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Rear passenger foot light.

Rear footwell light is part number PRC9496, search for that number and you'll find most of the usual suppliers carry them. For the seats there will usually be the surround that covers the lower area and another plastic trim in the sides of the seats. You will be able to see the wiring from the front and back but shouldn't be able to see it from the sides. There isn't anything behind the glovebox but if it drops right down then the little gas strut is either missing or the fixture for it has pulled out of the back of the glovebox lid. That stops it dropping right down so it only opens up part way so doesn't expose the void behind it.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi, thank you very much for all your excellent information. I will have another look at the glove box fittings and see if there is a strut hanging about somewhere. I wonder if you might be able to tell me which side of the glove box I would expect to find it, bearing in mind it is a UK vehicle ?

It is a bit strange that RR left the bottom of the seat open. The reason that I asked is that when I happened to look under the seat I could see what appeared to be screw holes on each side of the side panels, and there is some sort of spring which I can turn to face either under the seat or forward facing the footwell. It looks as if it should be connected to something .

Anyway, thanks for the reply, it is much appreciated.

Pierre3.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

You might have this problem - I did and just did this project as shown in the video, while installing a new strut. Googling P38 glove box shows everything you need to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSeCwG6E29g
    ---
    2001 P38 HSE 45K miles . Los Angeles, CA . old Porsches mostly, old guzzis, a mint old yamaha DT.
    Former LRs: 69 SIIA, D90, Sport SC, L322 SC
    Won the Nevada Trophy in my D90 twice back in the day

JUNIOR ROVER

That's the exact problem except as that is on a LHD car the strut goes on the other side, nearest the centre of the car. Your description of the spring under the seat suggests the upper trim panels are missing as they clip onto a wire spring. What colour are your plastics as I've got a full set of Ash Grey (almost black) interior plastics.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi, thanks for all the information, I will have another look at the seats thing.

I wonder if some-one knows how to take the rear footwell light fitting out, and replace it. I had a look this morning and I could see two Phillips head screws facing the floor, on either side of the rear unit where the light is. The light cable seems to go under the ventilation vents and under the rear ashtray, which itself is held by two small Phillips screws.

A couple of years ago I had to replace the rear ventilation vents in the passenger footwell of a Mercedes E220, and it turned out to be a big job. I ended up having to take most of the centre console out just to access two screws holding the vent panel.

I hope that I am not going to have to do the same again in the P38 just to replace the footwell light, but maybe some-one might have some advice on this ?

Pierre3.

JUNIOR ROVER

Undo the two screws that hold the rear ashtray and lift that out. That should let you get to the connector for the footwell light.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the post, I will have a look at it over the weekend. I'm just worried that the ventilation vents are in the way as they are sitting between the ashtray and the light fitting panel.

I will see what happens if I take out the two screws that are underneath the back of the console.

Pierre3.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi, Thanks for the various comment, however I must be critical about Richard G's post.

I ran into this exact problem with a Merc E220, trying to replace a rear footwell air vent. Loads of posts about just taking out a screw in the centre of the vent, or more about just popping the vent out, and lots more in the same vein - all completely wrong. I had to strip 90% of the centre console out to get to a screw hidden under the complete unit.

So, today I decided to try Richards suggestion as I had seen the two screws. But guess what - wrong. All that does is remove the ashtray. The air vent unit sits right under the ashtray, and it is clipped in place under the ashtray.

In fairness, you need to take out the ashtray first, but then it is a careful operation pulling an ashtray surround which has a little gear wheel in it. This takes a fair bit of wiggling and pulling before it will pop out.

Then you can lift and pull out the air vent unit.

And guess what !!!! You still cant disconnect the footwell light unit because the cables go under the ventilation ducts that in turn go under the centre console bin.

I then unscrewed the centre bin lid which is screwed in at the rear of the lid with 3 small screws. At this point I realised that, like a Merc E220, and as with all the posts that I had for that operation which were complete cobblers [ the posters obviously having never tried to do the job], the complete centre console does have to be removed, end of discussion !

As I have a new footwell fitting the only quick method will be cutting the original cables, where I have access to them now the vent unit is out, and grafting the new light fitting to the cut cables. The problem is that the cables are riveted to the bulb contacts so it is not a case of just unplugging the cables and replugging a new fitting.

So now I know that I was right when I first looked at the location of the light and could see the cables running under the centre console - yes, the centre console has to come out completely.

Pierre3.

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre3 View Post
    So, today I decided to try Richards suggestion as I had seen the two screws. But guess what - wrong. All that does is remove the ashtray. The air vent unit sits right under the ashtray, and it is clipped in place under the ashtray.

In fairness, you need to take out the ashtray first, but then it is a careful operation pulling an ashtray surround which has a little gear wheel in it. This takes a fair bit of wiggling and pulling before it will pop out.
    Sorry if you didn't think it informative enough. The ashtray lifts out without removing any screws, it's to allow your butler to empty it every so often. Once the screws are out then the whole lot, complete with lid and surround, lifts out.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi Richard, I don't mean to be over-critical but there is a bit more to getting to the light fitting.

From my point of view I was hoping that it would be a case of unplug and play ! However, even with the ventilation unit removed you still can't get to the footwell light cable plug, it seems to be right under the ventilation duct, which in turn runs under the centre console storage box.

When the ashtray fitting is unscrewed then you still have to prise out the ashtray body surround which sits underneath the ashtray body. It is quite difficult getting this piece out because the sides are quite thin and, I suspect, that if you lever it up too hard from one side only then it will snap in half.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, the only solution, rather than remove the centre console along with the storage bin and side panels, is to cut the existing footwell light cables and reconnect the new cables with cable connectors.

Incidentally, there are also two screws right underneath the panel where the light is located. I haven't worked out just what these screws do. You have to lie on the floor behind the seats and look upwards to see them. I just hope that I can get them back in when I put everything back together.

Pierre3.

JUNIOR ROVER

Mine doesn't have the rear footwell lamp, as it is an ex police motorway patrol car so would only have illuminated the traffic cones, and other assorted stuff they carried around. For the same reason, although I have the rear vents the ducting to them is missing and the feed blanked off at the heater matrix.

Where the rear footwell lamp would have been I've fitted an extra cigarette lighter socket for plugging in anything I need to plug in. I didn't notice the screws when fitting that so can't really tell you what they do but did take the ashtray out to run the cable in and once the screws were out it just lifted out in one lump.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ah-ha - that would explain a lot. Do you have rear seats ? I suppose that it could get a bit chilly in the back without rear heater vents. Although I have never checked these things - is it actually just a fresh air vent in the back, I wonder ?

You have a point there, there is no cigarette lighter plug in the back. Is there one in the "boot" area ?

Questions, questions, am I really bothered , No I don't think I am as I never sit in the back !!!

Pierre3.

JUNIOR ROVER

Yes, got rear seats although I suspect they didn't get a lot of use as they look like new. Nobody has ever complained about it being cold in the back but the vents under the front seats are there so there's air from the heater onto rear passengers toes. I put a dual socket on the bottom of the console and another in the boot as there isn't one as standard. If you look behind the left side rear light you'll find a dangling white 4 way connector that isn't connected to anything. This is supplied for dual socket towing electrics so has a permanent live, ignition switched live, reversing light feed (handy if you are fitting a reversing camera or sensors) and ground.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi, interesting information about the power supply in the boot area - I must try to remember that.

So, I have finally refitted the rear footwell lamp. A couple of interesting things came up.

[1] The footwell power cable runs under the ventilation duct and comes back up under the gear shift panel, where it is then wrapped into the wiring loom going to the electric window switch panel. It is on a white two pin plug. I unplugged the lamp, cut the plug off, and pulled the old lamp fitting out of the back of the centre console. I then just ran the new, replacement, lamp fitting cable along the top of the ventilation duct where there is a "V" shaped groove and taped it down using aluminium foil tape. Job done .

[2] The base of the storage box comes out. You need to get a small, right-angled, hook and lift the back of the base and it pops up. It is held with two small lugs at the front so it is important to be careful lifting the rear of the base. It just comes out as a flat, square, panel. When you're finished you just put the front edge in position and push down on the piece, and it seats itself.

[3] The console is bolted down to the transmission tunnel, under the storage box. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to remove the rear half of the console. It seems to be screwed to the section that supports the gearshift panel. I have removed the two front side panels, to clean them, and there seems to be two screws fixed from underneath the rear section which holds it to the front section. I feel that the whole thing comes out in one piece and you disassemble the unit once you get it out.

All in all I am pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to take out most of the centre console and the various connected panels.. I am pleased to have easily removed the HEVAC panel to replace a couple of the light bulbs.

Next job is to get a look at the air suspension as I think that the drivers side front air bag is leaking.

As with everything, care must be taken when putting the panels back as, when I was doing this, things can happen which you don't expect. My neighbour's cat decided that she needed to check out the inside of the vehicle and as I was putting the side panels back on the transmission tunnel she tried to climb over me and get into the gearshift selector. If I hadn't been vigilant I could easily have left her under the ashtray/gearshift panels. Wow, a lucky escape there, it would be no surprise if the cat is called "Lucky" - but she isn't !!! She's called "Eric".

Pierre3.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now