Another EAS height sensor query - side to side swap
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another EAS height sensor query - side to side swap

FRESHMAN ROVER

Another EAS height sensor query - side to side swap

So my old bus gets the occasional lean (1995 p38 with STC rear sensors) - when it happens its always low on the left side at standard height by about 20mm front and rear.

Reading nanocom there are no faults, but I consistently get the front sensors both reading at around 148 (the configured value for high) all good. Rears at 133 both equal side to side.

But on standard I get a reading of 126 left and 136 right front sensors. Rear sensors are equal 118 side to side.

When I drop to low and access things balance up again.

Reading the following

(EAS first adjusts the rear end to the target heights. Next, the front is moved to approximately where it should be. Then, the two front air bags are connected (both their valves open, but no air supplied or removed), so they can even out their pressure. Finally, the cycle is repeated, until a condition is achieved where the two rear sensors read exactly their preset target values, while the front ones are off in such a way that one of them is above, the other below target, and both by are off by the same amount.)

I decided to swap the rear sensors side to side and....exact same thing - tears balanced at both std and high with front left 10 less than right. I’m going to swap the fronts next - but is this likely that the front left has a deadish spot? I ask because the PO said right rear was suspect but the problem has not moved when I have swapped them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER

Re: Another EAS height sensor query - side to side swap

have you attempted to recalibrate? have you checked your air springs for air leaks? in order to achieve equal numbers you must be flat level, with equal tire pressures, full tank of fuel, spare tire and empty of any extra stuff we tend to carry in out cars.
    check with engine running all doors closed and do not lean on the vehicle, it is preferable to set up diagnosis equipment on a cart out side of vehicle. no one inside vehicle.
    the fuel tank level will give different readings, and thus the sensors will try and compensate.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by 95classiclwb View Post
    have you attempted to recalibrate? have you checked your air springs for air leaks? in order to achieve equal numbers you must be flat level, with equal tire pressures, full tank of fuel, spare tire and empty of any extra stuff we tend to carry in out cars.
    check with engine running all doors closed and do not lean on the vehicle, it is preferable to set up diagnosis equipment on a cart out side of vehicle. no one inside vehicle.
    the fuel tank level will give different readings, and thus the sensors will try and compensate.
    Thanks for the info - I haven't tried to recalibrate yet. I'll swap the front sensors left to right then have a look at calibration. The bags and hoses have no leaks. The block has been rebuilt with new o-rings. As the lean is sporadic I'm suspecting sensor dead spots - they look like the originals.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

It might just be where you are parking it. One of mine used to be parked on a slant with the left side higher than the right. For some reason that would always sit higher on the left than the right giving it a serious lean. If I drove it off the slope so it was on level ground it would sit and think about it for a minute or so then level itself.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I park mine (1999 HSE) on a ramp for majority of working days (M_F). Parking available on ramps between floors (3 levels). Been doing this for last 6yrs. And I have been getting marked drop on Rear Passenger side. Replaced compressor (dead, reason for works). My L'rover whisperer had been telling me for last cpl yrs that Rear bags needed replacing. But once in the workshop they were given ok. As well as compressor replacement the valve block o-rings were replaced; one by one I was told. I think car is now getting used to having air in system cuz it seems to evening up.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Calibration was all over the place - don’t know who did it, but they were nowhere near side to side balancing. Feels like a totally different car. Set it to 535 490 445 405 for the Aussie conditions. Now flat and floaty - guess this is what a p38 is meant to feel like.

FRESHMAN ROVER

And as if by magic, my compressor has lunched itself lol.

When removed from the car and trying from a standalone battery - I apply +12v Green and battery ground to Black it doesn't run. Took it apart can't see anything obvious.

If I am running it off the car do I need to connect the Orange to ground too? i.e. is the thermal switch in circuit within the pump?

JUNIOR ROVER

No, don't connect the Orange to anything. +ve to Green and -ve to Black and it should run.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    That’s what I thought - it’s not running like that. Think it’s the comm. thanks.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    So I got it running after cleaning up the brushes and comm contacts but it’s lazy as and keeps stalling. I can release the back and advance a couple of contacts and it will run again before stalling once more. New one on the way - but any suggestions to make this run freely. Feels like it’s fouling the motor internally on the housing.

Have you got enough brush left to make a nice tight connection on the commutator?
    Springs not annealed by overheating??
    The rotor could actually be rubbing on the stater if one or both bearings are toast? (Pre coffee here, do not recall if it is brushed or bushed)
    1952 Austin Champ (Hawaii)
    1953 Austin Champ (Australia)
    1985 Classic w/ Tdi300 (Australia)
    2002 4.6 HSE, White "Bolt" Hawaii Daily driver. Now the "Boat Car" here on the West Coast
    2002 4.6 HSE Borrego Yellow "Digby" Wife has absconded with Borrego as the Dog Taxi

JUNIOR ROVER

if the rotor is fouling on the casing where the magnets are, then bearing(s) are probably knackered.

I have one pump like this with rear bearing loose, and the wobble damaged the brush mounts. Currently looking for spares, but luckily had another pump which went in the car.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by pwood999 View Post
    if the rotor is fouling on the casing where the magnets are, then bearing(s) are probably knackered.
    Yup, fouling on the casing - I'll check to see which side is cactus to see if I can have it as a spare - new compressor arrives Friday.

FRESHMAN ROVER

New compressor and O-rings replaced and it's a NEW car. P38 Heaven. Seriously, with new plugs/leads engine flush it's purring like a kitten:makes you realise what a great car it is!! An such a joy to keep on road.
    Next task to find out why passenger side drops when parked. Absolutely level while driving and resets in secs when started. It's been parked on a ramp for majority of days M-F. So I'm going to make sure I park on level ground for next few weeks and see if it readjusts??

FRESHMAN ROVER

Jury still out but for all those waiting on edge of seats I will post on this again in few weeks. Because there are encouraging signs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now