Coilover Conversion Longevity
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coilover Conversion Longevity

FRESHMAN ROVER

Anyone else seeing these conversions not holding up very well? I've had my 01 HSE for 8 yrs now, so coils could have 50k plus on them and time.

Should rust be common and hard to avoid in the Northeast? Would Air struts fare better, if I got a revised set? Pros and cons from a cost standpoint? Opinions please and ideas too

Post up how long yours lasted, I would do a poll here but I don't see the option on my cell

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Coilover Conversion Longevity

I'm on air but in cars I have seen aftermarket springs sag over time. Not sure why as OEM seem to last the life of a car. Are you sure that your struts aren't dead giving you more bounce?
    Last edited by RRToadHall; June 14th, 2019 at 06:10 AM.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

JUNIOR ROVER

Air springs replaced with Dunlops when I got the car, 8 and a half years and 168,000 miles later, still working perfectly.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

My one is on coils, found a broken rear one not long after I got her about six months ago. Replaced the two reads with heavy duty ones because I carry slot of wait. I intended to put her back on air but looking at her history which I have. I am not going to bother, will be changing them all next year for arnott springs. Expensive but much better quality. Hope that helps.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Maybe it's the struts, but springs aren't looking good... might as well do both once you rip her open.

You guys mention Dunlop and Arnott, are those solely air based like OEM or an improved design? I do not know what brands of coil conversions we are all using on our P38s

FRESHMAN ROVER

SOPHOMORE ROVER

so you want to go back to air bags 8 years later . how's the compressor , valve block , air lines etc first question is, is it all there as it will require rebuilding or replacing . make shore its going to work or you could be opening a can of worms , there's a reason its on coils???
    as for the preference. its more of a personal preference .
    as for the life of airbags and components its hit and miss some last years and some don't, hence the coil conversion.
    there is only 2 parts to a coil conversion a spring and a shocks , springs sag shocks go soft
    there's many part to air bags and they all cause problems of there own.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Mine had coils when I got her, converted it back to air.. But on coils it handled like crap with a little bit of weight in the boot..

FRESHMAN ROVER

That why I have hd coils on the back, runs better with weight. You do need good shocks as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhoud View Post
    Mine had coils when I got her, converted it back to air.. But on coils it handled like crap with a little bit of weight in the boot..

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Agreed, I bought it as a coil convert, so going back to air would be a marathon vs just new springs and shocks. Just hope I find a brand that will last longer as I love my 30th and want to keep it a long time.

JUNIOR ROVER

Not sure how much coils cost in the US but with Dunlop OEM air springs at £50 a corner from Island 4x4 and another £30 for a valve block and compressor rebuild kit, it's probably cheaper than coils. It isn't difficult either.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by 30thAnnP38 View Post
    Anyone else seeing these conversions not holding up very well?
    Do you actually have a coilover conversion? A "coilover" is a coil spring with a strut in the middle.

Most folks just have a coil conversion done... so instead of an air bag holding the rig up , you have coil spring holding the rigup with separate dampers/ shocks .

edit: odd I wrote this last night and forgot to hit post... question still applies though
    Last edited by RRToadHall; June 15th, 2019 at 08:44 AM.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    Not sure how much coils cost in the US but with Dunlop OEM air springs at £50 a corner from Island 4x4 and another £30 for a valve block and compressor rebuild kit, it's probably cheaper than coils. It isn't difficult either.
    I think a coil conversion is more expensive as fixing the air suspension.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Yes, prior owner ditched the OEM air for the coil springs and strut setup. I don't know the condition of the remaining air parts, thus I will not rush on a plan just yet. Not too worried about the rust, or the feel of the suspension in its current state.

So, as you did not actually answer Toadie's question about "Coil Over and Strut" and you mention this set up yet again,
    Do you have "Coils" and "Shocks" in the normal separate places. or are there "Struts" inside the coils? (Coil over strut setup)
    If so, post a couple of pictures, as it would be an unusual setup.

As for ride differences? I have 2 2002s here side by side being driven daily.
    White one is EAS with Arnott Gen II bags (Wish I had Dunlops) and Borrego is coils. We have some lumpy and potholed roads around here and the EAS is FAR superior ride for that kind of 35mph driving.
    On high speed runs down to LA I found the coils were terrible for handling on the LA freeways at normal (90+) mph left lane speeds and that it required full concentration when hitting even small surface irregularities. Same run a week later with white one, EAS handled smoothly and had absolutely none of the skittering around. Practically a relaxing experience
    Both are running the same Cooper tyres.
    1952 Austin Champ (Hawaii)
    1953 Austin Champ (Australia)
    1985 Classic w/ Tdi300 (Australia)
    2002 4.6 HSE, White "Bolt" Hawaii Daily driver. Now the "Boat Car" here on the West Coast
    2002 4.6 HSE Borrego Yellow "Digby" Wife has absconded with Borrego as the Dog Taxi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now