Coilover Conversion Longevity - Page 4
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Coilover Conversion Longevity

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Coilover Conversion Longevity

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    If you've never done it, it's worth giving it a go. The Maintenace section of RAVE shows it although the service schedule doesn't mention it.

Attachment 273702
    Thanks.

Mine is only going for just over a year, my airdryer is new.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mad as View Post
    the last time I had my vehicle in that position I needed a winch, on another vehicle to recover me . but I could have opened the bonnet and done that procedure, but fortunately for me a have springs not airbags . this original post asked for longevity on the two systems , the only longevity is in the post and the justification off one over the other(go easy your frightening the animals)its simply your preference over the other ,springs last around 8 to 10 years, air systems last as long as ------ , well you fill in the blanks.
    Based on EAS related posts being approximately 30-40% of forum posts, I would say the fill in the blanks = not long enough. But to each his own....I have a weekend of chasing a bad Fuse 8 error (no radio/HVAC) and fixing a seriously sticky passenger door handle.

Boy!
    You are probably pretty close with your estimate about EAS "Problems"
    On the other hand, it goes to show just how few folks have taken a bit of time to learn about how the system works.
    It is certainly understandable that many mechanics just say "Unreliable........Costs too much to fix. Put in springs"
    I have always known that if I wanted to have a P-38, I would be doing all my own work on it, as I do not trust many mechanics, and I do not have nearly deep enough pockets to pay them even if I did find a competent one to do the work.
    If you like straight axles, and coil springs, buy a Toyota. (My personal opinion, not necessarily that of the management)
    As you said: "To each his own"
    Mod: I know, I am beating the same dead horse yet again........Gotta do what ya gotta do.....HA!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Banned

Yes to each his own. At least I got lucky & my Fuse 8 was really a bad fuse...of course my nano is letting me know that all of my blend motors are dying. And a right rear brake sensor. And something within the ABS (I know this is the master cylinder rebuild)....have kit from Russell. And cruise is gone (always has been). And my coolant tank is now empty (biggest worry)...but a new radiator was on this summer's shopping/to do list. And a general multiple cylinder engine misfire warning (which is odd b/c engine is running great). And aforementioned sticky passenger door. And need to install the mobi. And need to do the headliner. And install my custom roof rails + Front Runner rack. And resolve which bumper to put on the front.

Lots of Ands with the P38. For me personally, EAS is just one to many & way to frequently part of everyone's And list....

JUNIOR ROVER

a tired debate for sure. I tow quite a bit and wouldn't give up the ability to auto level. One of these days mechanics will get used to air springs and stop suggesting them to be removed. Most SUV's these days either have air springs or its a top level option. Not to mention a number of cars that have them too. You might not like LR's execution but it was forward thinking at the time.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

FRESHMAN ROVER

No idea what a coil ride might feel like but when EAS is working it's like a magic carpet ride; especially on sand!! It does NOT overcome rattles on dirt / rocky roads (when it sound like it is going to fall apart). It's fantastic on H'way in cruise control!! I reckon it is an 'emotional' decision which way you go. I've had mine towed (ex wife driving) about 800klms from western inland QLD (not far from Quilpie) when the ECU died. And towed from Mt Barney when compressor died. Had compressor changed at least three times during 16yrs own. Air bags once or twice (would have to check records). BUT (despite current passenger lean; see post) I would not trade the EAS. One of life's pleasures when it's working. It's an emotion thing definitely. And a very expensive thing

FRESHMAN ROVER

No idea what a coil ride might feel like but when EAS is working it's like a magic carpet ride; especially on sand!! It does NOT overcome rattles on dirt / rocky roads (when it sound like truck is going to fall apart). It's fantastic on H'way in cruise control!! I reckon it is an 'emotional' decision which way you go. I've had mine towed (ex wife driving) about 800klms from western inland QLD (not far from Quilpie) when the ECU died. And towed from Mt Barney when compressor died. Had compressor changed at least three times during 16yrs own. Air bags once or twice (would have to check records). BUT (despite current passenger lean; see post) I would not trade the EAS. One of life's pleasures when it's working. It's an emotion thing definitely. And a very expensive thing

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by CityHog View Post
    No idea what a coil ride might feel like but when EAS is working it's like a magic carpet ride
    I bought mine on coils, and when I went back to air it was a revelation. Totally transformed the ride.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6B
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE GEMS
    Moto Guzzi LeMans 850
    Aprilia Tuono V2

JUNIOR ROVER
    If u do any offroading, EAS is a serious liability. Great when it works but a nightmare if u are kn the trail and drop to bump stops which happened to my buddy with brand new Arnott Gen3s in Death Valley. I stuck it out for a few years but once switched to coils with 33 inch tires, never looked back.
    2001 Range Rover 4.6 SE - SD rack, sliders, ladder, steering guard, front diff guard, rear diff guard, Warn XD9000CE winch, factory winch tray, aluminum radiator, 255/85 r16 KM2s, RTE 3s, adjust Panhard rod...
    2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper, Superwinch EP9, rack, Sasquatch rods
    2009 M1101 military trailer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now