Coilover Conversion Longevity - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coilover Conversion Longevity

Re: Coilover Conversion Longevity

Aftermarket springs seem generally not as well made as factory in my experience, not sure why. Maybe find the OEM maker and get the size/rate you want from them? Old porsches, my old D90, went back to original on everything. Isolators in the D90 and Gwagon are nice for a bit of lift/cushion while keeping stock springs.

My P38 rides on factory air - everything can be kept working right pretty easily and just check the system regularly with a soapy spray bottle. Just o-rings and plastic tubes, all pretty basic stuff that's fun to fix. Haha. Can't beat the ride and the ride height variation capability define these cars. Would never go to coils.

If I were to consider a mod it would be to Arnott Gen 3 - which are progressive in the opposite way of original air. They are a bit tighter at cruise height and are softer when raised - this was a design flaw of the originals in my view, but I don't really want a harder ride at cruising height. But I might try it if/when the second set of factory bags on her break (they've been replaced once).
    ---
    2001 P38 HSE 45K miles . Los Angeles, CA . old Porsches mostly, old guzzis, a mint old yamaha DT.
    Former LRs: 69 SIIA, D90, Sport SC, L322 SC
    Won the Nevada Trophy in my D90 twice back in the day

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Errrrrrr........................
    Tough to find a spec for factory springs as, in the case of the P-38, there never were any Thus no OEM maker.............

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ummm.. UK police vehicles were spec-ed with coils. The BECM has a switch for Normal/UK Police. Switching this automatically switches to "EAS Manual" or coils. without having to resort to the normal external jumper leads.

As for a spec, front is normally 133 lb/in and rear 150 lb/in. With the P38 greater overhang and rear weight, 180 lb/in might be better with 220 lb/in if you carry a load all the time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dtoyne View Post
    Ummm.. UK police vehicles were spec-ed with coils. The BECM has a switch for Normal/UK Police. Switching this automatically switches to "EAS Manual" or coils. without having to resort to the normal external jumper leads.

As for a spec, front is normally 133 lb/in and rear 150 lb/in. With the P38 greater overhang and rear weight, 180 lb/in might be better with 220 lb/in if you carry a load all the time.
    Well, Hush Mah Puppies!
    You just Leann something new here every dang day!
    So, that kinda makes sense as the plod would be quite embarrassed if the squaddie went to bump stops right in the middle of a high speed chase!
    So, is the EAS the only thing this setting changes? (Often wondered)
    Thanks for the info!

Where did you find that information? Were you involved in the conversion of P38's for the police spec?

I'm dubious as Richard_G has an ex UK police vehicle and never mentioned about it being on coil springs. I also have a 2001 Vogue spec with original BECM/Settings etc and it's set to 'UK Police' and is on air... I don't get EAS Manual coming up on the dash every time I start it, as you suggest this setting does.

Also in all the parts manuals I've ever seen where there have been other 'Police Spec' parts (shielded HT leads, and things like that) I've never seen any referring to coil springs.
    ------------------------------------------------
    '01 4.6 Vogue Black/Lightstone "Snog" -- Bought Jan 2012
    '99 4.6 HSE Cobar Blue/Lightstone -- Sold March 2009
    '95 4.6 HSE Epsom Green/Tan -- Traded June 2008
    http://p38webshop.co.uk

JUNIOR ROVER

Absolute rubbish, yet another old wives tale that has no truth whatsoever. The Police setting in the BeCM allows the passenger compartment of the car to be locked but the tailgate left open and turns off a few other warnings such as blown bulb in the front fogs so they can be used with the flashing beacons without confusing things. How do I know? I've got an ex police P38 with EAS. Having chatted with a few ex-coppers about it, they loved the EAS on the P38 as it didn't matter how much stuff they piled in the back, it didn't droop like the coil sprung Classics they had previously.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

JUNIOR ROVER

A bit more info but I can't edit my previous. Police spec cars were built by Land Rover Special Vehicles to a spec that each police force ordered, hence mine has things like front fogs and headlamp wash/wipe that would normally only have been fitted to higher spec cars but manual cloth seats so the interior is more hardwearing than the leather, no trip computer, no stereo and no cruise control. Fitting coil springs to a P38 would invalidate the type approval making it impossible to register them for the road. Not only that, with a lot of weight in and raising the centre of gravity (I removed over 5 kg of wiring loom from above the headlining on mine without taking into account the lights on the roof), driving at high speed without the suspension lowered would make them downright dangerous.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Indeed I have coils not coilover haha... oops... do my coils pop out on a lift or do they have bolted on mounts? I only know standard quick struts, aka McPherson, KYB,Bilsteins I run on Audi and Jap cars etc

FRESHMAN ROVER
    So EAS uses rubber Dildo shaped airbags, and no springs or struts secondary? I am in the dark as I see my P38 has space for coils and I guess some struts are hidden nearby out of view hehe

JUNIOR ROVER

Originally it would have had the air springs where the coils have been fitted and the shock absorbers mounted next to them. The air springs were held in place with clips so they couldn't come out, a coil spring conversion adds bolts and clamps to stop them coming out.

It should look like this:

Front

Coilover Conversion Longevity-front.jpg

Rear

Coilover Conversion Longevity-rear.jpg
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec

JUNIOR ROVER

To answer the original question . . . "Coilover Conversion Longevity" . . . . I suspect it depends on how long the owner wants a crappy ride, and lack of height adjustment.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Most 2nd owners buy these converted. If I can get air parts, i would go back if it's price competitive to new coils and likely to last a while without failing.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by 30thAnnP38 View Post
    Most 2nd owners buy these converted. If I can get air parts, i would go back if it's price competitive to new coils and likely to last a while without failing.
    https://www.lrdirect.com/Parts-by-Mo...ts/Suspension/

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by 30thAnnP38 View Post
    I'd argue that it's normally the 5th, 6th and later owners that convert, the ones that buy the car cheap and don't really have any care or interest in it. The original Dunlop air springs lasted for about 15 years, so there's no reason to suspect that replacement Dunlop air springs won't last just as long.

Island 4x4 are cheaper than LR Direct too https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/spring-...01740-p-4.html and https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/spring-...01460-p-6.html
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Mine is on coils and has been for many years..By looking at the paint cracking on them and the rust that has developed, I would say they’ve been on there for 10years at the least.. All the rubber components on the mounts have mostly degraded as well...

So far they’ve been working great..I wheel the crap out of mine too..Still works great and still going strong!
    99' Callaway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now