Range Rovers Forum banner

Coilover Conversion Longevity

7K views 53 replies 19 participants last post by  spikemd 
#1 ·
Anyone else seeing these conversions not holding up very well? I've had my 01 HSE for 8 yrs now, so coils could have 50k plus on them and time.

Should rust be common and hard to avoid in the Northeast? Would Air struts fare better, if I got a revised set? Pros and cons from a cost standpoint? Opinions please and ideas too

Post up how long yours lasted, I would do a poll here but I don't see the option on my cell

#36 ·
I'm gonna rebuild my valve block with fresh vitons just for fun. Rebuilt the fuel distributor on my 911 turbo last year, very similar. Set up in the kitchen or living room, watch three's company or GOT, and get your little tools and some good wine.

#38 ·
Ahhyup!
That places you solidly into the minority these days!
I appreciate the sentiment though as I feel the same way about Cricket!
Refuse to watch it as I cannot understand it, despite lots of beer fueled explanations and actually having played the game:wink:
EAS is really not too tough to work with, however you really need some sort of diagnostic to be able to figure out just what is up when something goes wonky with it. Sensors wear, and things go out of calibration. Like the rest of a P-38, you ignore the small signs, it will bite ya in the backside, after which it will cost ya, or you will send it to "Live on a farm".......
Now, if one of our Canadian folk could just explain about the "Blue Lines" in Ice Hockey?:dance:

#39 ·
to briefly cover responses to last 4 replies, air to coil conversion is as simple as expense and convenience versus the solution to an ongoing failure which has it's roots on poor maintenance and or oversight of wear and tear.
having been a land rover owner and mechanic from 1998 and retired in 2012, I have experienced the evolution all the way from classics to full size and many of it's variants. as the vehicles aged and wear and tear took it's toll, it's ever growing cost of maintenance was often a deciding factor on the suspension conversion.
a lack of knowledge and understanding of the air ride often would cause the mechanics to encourage the coil conversion, of course the lack of aftermarket support on diagnostics equipment would further compound the case.
on this forum we have members from all nooks and crannies of the world where climate changes are extreme and others where climate is quite stable. case in point, I am located in the mid eastern part of the us, next to Washington DC, all year long we see climate changes where temps change as much as 40 degrees F.
my 2 rangies ride on air but current temps are 50's at night, 80's daytime, this fluctuation causes the small volume of air on the springs to change density and thus send vehicle to the bump stops. summer temps hover on the mid to high 90's, at which time vehicles remain at set height for days at a time, in the winter we hoover in the 30's, during snow we drive on roads covered in de-icing chemical agents draw your conclusions on the toll placed in the under carriage of a vehicle. this is a situation which some members do not experience and can come across as mis information.
it is my opinion the preference of coils or air ride is not because of purism or minority, but more over cost and up keep of the suspension it self.
bottom line if you are willing to put up with the eccentricities of one type or the other, it is only as good as the length of time you want to deal with it and its appropriate pros and cons.

#42 ·
Interesting - but what would come out of a plug half way up the reservoir (apart from air), or you need to stick a hose in and suck the water from the bottom (if any) ?

#43 ·
Richard only posted the second page of the service procedure.
Step 1 on the preceding page reads:
"Carefully reverse the vehicle up a stout wall until it is as vertical as possible. Care must be taken to ensure vehicle does not fall upon its roof"
"A winch and overhead beam can also be used if no wall available":shock:

`)

#45 ·
the last time I had my vehicle in that position I needed a winch, on another vehicle to recover me . but I could have opened the bonnet and done that procedure, but fortunately for me a have springs not airbags . this original post asked for longevity on the two systems , the only longevity is in the post and the justification off one over the other(go easy your frightening the animals)its simply your preference over the other ,springs last around 8 to 10 years, air systems last as long as ------ , well you fill in the blanks.

#48 ·
Boy!
You are probably pretty close with your estimate about EAS "Problems"
On the other hand, it goes to show just how few folks have taken a bit of time to learn about how the system works.
It is certainly understandable that many mechanics just say "Unreliable........Costs too much to fix. Put in springs"
I have always known that if I wanted to have a P-38, I would be doing all my own work on it, as I do not trust many mechanics, and I do not have nearly deep enough pockets to pay them even if I did find a competent one to do the work.
If you like straight axles, and coil springs, buy a Toyota. (My personal opinion, not necessarily that of the management)
As you said: "To each his own"
Mod: I know, I am beating the same dead horse yet again........Gotta do what ya gotta do.....HA!:dance:

#49 ·
Yes to each his own. At least I got lucky & my Fuse 8 was really a bad fuse...of course my nano is letting me know that all of my blend motors are dying. And a right rear brake sensor. And something within the ABS (I know this is the master cylinder rebuild)....have kit from Russell. And cruise is gone (always has been). And my coolant tank is now empty (biggest worry)...but a new radiator was on this summer's shopping/to do list. And a general multiple cylinder engine misfire warning (which is odd b/c engine is running great). And aforementioned sticky passenger door. And need to install the mobi. And need to do the headliner. And install my custom roof rails + Front Runner rack. And resolve which bumper to put on the front.

Lots of Ands with the P38. For me personally, EAS is just one to many & way to frequently part of everyone's And list....

#50 ·
a tired debate for sure. I tow quite a bit and wouldn't give up the ability to auto level. One of these days mechanics will get used to air springs and stop suggesting them to be removed. Most SUV's these days either have air springs or its a top level option. Not to mention a number of cars that have them too. You might not like LR's execution but it was forward thinking at the time.

#51 ·
No idea what a coil ride might feel like but when EAS is working it's like a magic carpet ride; especially on sand!! It does NOT overcome rattles on dirt / rocky roads (when it sound like it is going to fall apart). It's fantastic on H'way in cruise control!! I reckon it is an 'emotional' decision which way you go. I've had mine towed (ex wife driving) about 800klms from western inland QLD (not far from Quilpie) when the ECU died. And towed from Mt Barney when compressor died. Had compressor changed at least three times during 16yrs own. Air bags once or twice (would have to check records). BUT (despite current passenger lean; see post) I would not trade the EAS. One of life's pleasures when it's working. It's an emotion thing definitely. And a very expensive thing

#52 ·
No idea what a coil ride might feel like but when EAS is working it's like a magic carpet ride; especially on sand!! It does NOT overcome rattles on dirt / rocky roads (when it sound like truck is going to fall apart). It's fantastic on H'way in cruise control!! I reckon it is an 'emotional' decision which way you go. I've had mine towed (ex wife driving) about 800klms from western inland QLD (not far from Quilpie) when the ECU died. And towed from Mt Barney when compressor died. Had compressor changed at least three times during 16yrs own. Air bags once or twice (would have to check records). BUT (despite current passenger lean; see post) I would not trade the EAS. One of life's pleasures when it's working. It's an emotion thing definitely. And a very expensive thing

#54 ·
If u do any offroading, EAS is a serious liability. Great when it works but a nightmare if u are kn the trail and drop to bump stops which happened to my buddy with brand new Arnott Gen3s in Death Valley. I stuck it out for a few years but once switched to coils with 33 inch tires, never looked back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.