Stuck in 4wd Lo. SFTA but need more info. - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stuck in 4wd Lo. SFTA but need more info.

SENIOR ROVER

Re: Stuck in 4wd Lo. SFTA but need more info.

since you know what to do, I would suggest shifting again. you have nothing to loose and a lot to gain, it may work normal again.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Are we talking about the Fuse 37 Calibration method? Im not sure that will work since i dont think the motor is working well. I tried shifting it into 4low and high as suggested. Shifted into 4low no problem. Did not go back into high. Went right to neutral. It does go back into 4 low though.
    1997 Vitesse - Yellow

FRESHMAN ROVER

Seems the Fuse37 thing is only for the next model. Any tricks for the p38?
    1997 Vitesse - Yellow

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

New symptom!

When i run through the gear in 4wd High, the dash shows "N" when in neutral...but goes back to "SELECT NEUTRAL" once i put it into ANY other gear. The gear shift lights flash always.

This tells me the neutral switch is probably fine, and the encoder is off alignment (based off another thread). Any way to get that motor back in alignment enough to pull it out of limp mode? I dont care about 4wd Low for now. I just need to get her back on the road.
    1997 Vitesse - Yellow

JUNIOR ROVER

Gear shift lights should only flash when you are moving the gear shift across the gate to select low ratio. The N display comes from the XYZ switch but there is another switch (the Neutral switch) under the shift lever to tell the ECU you have moved the shift lever across the gate. It sounds like that is permanently engaged so it thinks you are trying to change range when you are actually engaging a gear. You can confirm this by getting to the 6 way white connector (C615A) under the centre console and trying to select gears with it unplugged. If you lose the Select Neutral warning then the switch is permanently grounded making it think you are moving the lever across the gate. By the sound of it, this is one of two problems, the other being a range change motor that needs replacement.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

I'm not convinced the gearbox itself is in limp mode. Sounds like the transfer motor (and/or ECU) is the problem.
    Easy to check the gearbox: get up to some speed and manually shift back to 2nd or first (depending on speed), if the box reacts it's not in limp.
    I'm wondering if unplugging the transfer ECU is enough to default to high range, so the autobox shifts normally again. It takes the range signal only from the transfer ECU (same line as the BECM), not from any other switches.
    One other thing to try is let the motor go to high while it's off the transfer box. But I fear the position switches in the motor gearbox are the cause, so you're unlikely to get a proper signal without opening them up. Rave does list the input for the different positions, so you could fool the transfer ECU with pigtails if need be.

Filip
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': current daily
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper', built for offroad with tuned 4.6 on MS: lost in fire
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': awaiting attention
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired and stripped
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie' TR2 racer: sold

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ok, i think we are on to something. Im fairly sure the motor is the issue. I tried switching it from low to high while off the transfer case (its fun being underneath a running car on the ground) and the motor didnt move at all. That why i took it apart, to attempt to fix it. I discovered it WAS misaligned so i realigned it....but not accounting for the blue encoder potentiometer. So im assuming the motor is fairly ruined.

Now, since ill get a new one at a later date, i like what youre suggesting here.

Unplug the transfer case ECU under the driver's seat and see what it does? If i dont plan on using Low for a few months, Should i EVER plug it back in before i get a new transfer motor? Im in SoCal so i wont need 4wd Low for a quite a while.
    1997 Vitesse - Yellow

First of, you don't need the engine running to shift between low and high. Ignition on is sufficient, makes it a bit more comfortable if you're underneath.

And yes, you can leave the transfer ECU unplugged if you don't need it. I've had a spare car running like that for many years, after the ECU got fried. As said above, you do need the motor on the transfer box to make sure it can't jump out of high. I've had that happen after an emergency repair (bodge), not fun pulling over to the hard shoulder with no driver and a loaded trailer!

Filip
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': current daily
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper', built for offroad with tuned 4.6 on MS: lost in fire
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': awaiting attention
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired and stripped
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie' TR2 racer: sold

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now