Tigger59
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tigger59

FRESHMAN ROVER

Tigger59

Hi

I have just replaced for the second time the head gasket's on my P38 4.0L v8 GEMS engine. The first time I did this put it back together started first time no problems.

This time:It's been in bits for 5 months, the battery was low so recharged.
    Still not firing ... I have followed the advice of other notes on the site i.e fob sync.. charged up battery, the engine chec light comes on. In the first instance checked all connections and turned the key to ensure fuel is getting through.

The only thing I question is the firing order and which is no:1 pot?
    (I used no:1 at the front LHS as you stand in front of the engine. So firing order is 1,3,5,7, in the left bank & 2,4,6,8 in the right side)
    I have also so seen notes on a scync mate but they seam rather expensive

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Tigger59

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Tigger59

Wrong way round. Number 1 is front left of the engine as seen from sitting in the drivers seat. So LH bank (right hand as you stand looking at it) is 1,3,5,and 7, while RH (left side as you stand in front of the car, is 2,4,6 and 8. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 with cylinders connected to four double ended wasted spark ignition coils. Coil 1 feeds cylinders 1 and 6, coil 2 feeds cylinders 5 and 8, coil 3 feeds cylinders 4 and 7, and coil 4 feeds cylinders 2 and 3.

If you can sync the fob and the check engine light comes on with the ignition on, you don't need a sync mate as it is synced.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

Here is a link to cylinder numbering and coil numbering for your GEMS engine. I keep it on hand because the GEMS numbering questions come up so often.

https://www.google.com/search?q=p38+...phSB6MohwPBtM:
    Last edited by RRToadHall; May 26th, 2019 at 03:27 PM.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

That link shows something completely wrong. It appears to show a pair of coils (so Thor) and the cylinder numbering is from the back.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    Wrong way round. Number 1 is front left of the engine as seen from sitting in the drivers seat.
    thus the reason for my earlier link.. now if you can get the photo to upload, you probably should, it answers his coil numbering question as well.
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

JUNIOR ROVER

Like this

Tigger59-d4c1763.jpg
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    That link shows something completely wrong. It appears to show a pair of coils (so Thor) and the cylinder numbering is from the back.
    Richard, not to sound rude have you even read his original post where he posted that he had a "P38 4.0 V8 GEMS engine" and he correctly posted the order of the odd numbered cylinders "as standing in front of the engine" same for the even numbered cylinders? he gave correct info "as standing in front of the engine". Why not follow along with the OPs viewpoint? driver's seat only confuses the situation because is from the UK. His only confusion was he didn't know the numbering for the dual coils and posted "which pot" he obviously meant post.

Then after I posted the link to the very simple drawing for cylinder numbers and coil numbers for the correct dual coils for his GEMS engine. You posted the Bosch single coil in line drawing, did you even click on the link Richard to see that it is entirely accurate for his "P38 4.0 V8 GEMS engine"?

Most importantly, in my confusions of your postings, Richard... did you even read the PM I sent you titled "he has a gems engine".
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

JUNIOR ROVER

Toad, also not wishing to sound rude but he posted that No 1 pot is on the LHS as you stand in front of the engine which it isn't. No 1 is on the RHS as you stand in front of the engine, or LHS as you sit in the drivers seat (and the drivers seat is always behind the engine no matter which side of the car you sit on). You also seem to be highly confused on the coils. He has a GEMS and a GEMS has 4 coils with the outlets in line, it is the Bosch that has the two square blocks as shown in the link you posted. Yes I read the PM you sent, he has a GEMS engine which is why I posted a diagram of the GEMS engine.

His question being worded "which pot" is exactly that, which cylinder not which post is how I read it as it is common to refer to a cylinder as a pot, hence referring to lesser vehicles as having a piddly little 4 pot motor. I'm not the one who is confused here......
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec

SENIOR ROVER

the #1 cylinder on buick based rover engine is left hand when sitting in driver's seat, regardless if right or left drive.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks Guys for the help.. I will be in my garage tomorrow and will put the advice in to practice.. Just to clarifiy when i said No:1 pot i mean the No:1 piston. The coil pack read as Richard G Jounior Rover has discribed. And yes It is Gems 4.0L as it has the pellum box with the 4.0 on it rather than the Thor bannana shape inlet...
    I will let you know how I get on.. I have followed the link and printed of the simple diagram RRToad Hall sent. thanks again guy.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now