Range Rovers Forum banner

P38 4.6HSE 1999 jammed bonnet

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  linksys1127 
#1 ·
I cant open the bonnet, it opens a little but not enough to release the catches on each side. Any tips? cheers.

#2 ·
First thing to try is with 2 persons: one pulling the handle inside and one pulling up the bonnet and reaching for the central catch.

If the cable doesn't move one or both catches sufficiently, it is possible (but not easy) to reach up from underneath and open them by hand.

Filip

#3 ·
Yes, its difficult but possible. From memory, the latches are opposite each other. So you pull toward the car on drivers side and push away from the car on the passenger side. The passenger side was much harder to reach and you have to do it by feel.

#4 ·
Get someone to sit on the bonnet, and then pull the lever - this release the upward pressure on the catches and makes it more likely they'll pull back

#5 ·
Remove the two front fixing screws from the grill. Pull the bottom of the grill outwards, it has enough flex without breaking, just enough to get your hand up to the latch on each side to operate them. Ask me how I know this works!

#6 ·
1999 RR 4.0, my hood release cables broke at the interior handle end. I had to remove the black plastic grille, then work my way in from underneath, finally got it released. What a pain. Then I manufactured a new handle from heavy sheet aluminum, riveted it in place, attached cables, and now it works!
Kevin in Minneapolis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.