Stock EAS Compressor
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stock EAS Compressor

Stock EAS Compressor

I had an idea! So I have the spring conversion, but still have the stock compressor. Anyone used the compressor for airing up tires? Just a thought, and it would save me form getting an ARB compressor or something of the sort.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
    Gabriel

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Stock EAS Compressor

Some people use it for both so no need to convert to coils just so you can blow up your tyres.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I have read other posts where people said it was not designed to run continuously for The time it would take to air up four tires. It is a low volume pump. I guess if you kill yours it doesn't really matter though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FOUNDING MEMBER

The stock EAS compressor is a 'weedy' little unit so best to retain the air tank which the compressor can recharge in slow time but can provide instant air pressure for whatever purpose. This, of course, requires retaining the EAS control system to start/stop the compressor appropriately.
    2001 Vogue . . . . . . and, yes, I do own the road!

SENIOR ROVER

for auxiliary air purpose you will be better off retrofitting a via air or arb, both are good but via air can be found in longer duty cycle and faster service i/e pump up.
    factory does not deliver as good has a short duty cycle, if used in other service than factory set up it will not last.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

Valid points. But........How much will this be used?
    The factory air set up ain't that bad, and the stock compressor goes daily for decades sometimes with out failing. Even then, it is a simple and inexpensive rebuild.
    I would say Go for it with the one you have, and if it proves problematic, then invest in a quality replacement.
    If you are planning however to do serious offroading in soft sand, and will be dumping all the air from the tires daily and refilling time is an issue, then by all means, install a more robust system. I have an air chuck on mine, and it works very well to do normal maintenance of tire air pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
    I had an idea! So I have the spring conversion, but still have the stock compressor. Anyone used the compressor for airing up tires? Just a thought, and it would save me from getting an ARB compressor or something of the sort. Gabriel
    It would never work.. to not even with tank it is a low output pump that simply keeps the reservoir full of compressed air.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    It would never work.. to not even with tank it is a low output pump that simply keeps the reservoir full of compressed air.

Beg to differ.
    Works great.
    My air chuck is screwed into the drain plug hole of the tank (with protective cover for mud and debris) Simple.
    Plenty of air for taking care of tires, and even light dusting on the dashboard.
    It is not used daily, and not used for heavy duty airing up. (Have topped up tractor tires)
    I have had to plug a tire and use it to go from zero psi to 38 on 2 occasions, and it is actually faster than I thought it would be.
    Not detrimental to EAS operation in any way either.
    If it shortens the compressors life by a month or so, then so be it. I keep a rebuilt one on the shelf......And have not needed it in the last 10 years.
    1952 Austin Champ (Hawaii)
    1953 Austin Champ (Australia)
    1985 Classic w/ Tdi300 (Australia)
    2002 4.6 HSE, White "Bolt" Hawaii Daily driver. Now the "Boat Car" here on the West Coast
    2002 4.6 HSE Borrego Yellow "Digby" Wife has absconded with Borrego as the Dog Taxi

JUNIOR ROVER

If you compare the compressor with one of the little ones sold by car accessory shops for inflating tyres, it's an industrial strength, he-man of a compressor. OK, so if you were constantly using it to inflate all your tyres you'd wear it out fairly quickly but as a standby it will do the job nicely. Easier to stick a can of squirty sealant in a tyre and use the compressor to finish inflating it than to change the wheel if you get a puncture.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    Some people use it for both so no need to convert to coils just so you can blow up your tyres.

I'm not converting to coils and springs, I already have them.

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    If you compare the compressor with one of the little ones sold by car accessory shops for inflating tyres, it's an industrial strength, he-man of a compressor. OK, so if you were constantly using it to inflate all your tyres you'd wear it out fairly quickly but as a standby it will do the job nicely. Easier to stick a can of squirty sealant in a tyre and use the compressor to finish inflating it than to change the wheel if you get a puncture.
    No kidding! I can't believe some think it wouldn't work. I have a little POS cigarette lighter compressor that I use for raising and lower tire pressure for my trailer tires (depending on payload). Its slow but gets the job done. Using the Rover compressor would be a huge upgrade especially if you kept the reservoir which is probably still there if the compressor is. I also have that compressor as an EAS backup with inflation valves.
    I have the same 12V compressor in my Audi for the spare tire. From the factory, it has a crappy emergency tire. I can fit a full size without air. I would rather risk the compressor not working that drive on the tiny tire on a Torsen diff all wheel drive.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

I highly recommend doing this, I used 6mm black/blue plastic water line quick connects, T's, one-way check-vale, and shut off with a coil of 6mm blue hose add a chuck of your needs, under by the spare. It will air up very nicely. It is slow delivery type system. Keep the air filter/dryer clean and you will be good to go.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

It will work, but you are gonna knacker the EAS pump in no time. The standard pump can do about 0.5 CFM, but achieves up to 140 PSI or so. The standard EAS reponds quite quickly with full tank, but not on the pump alone when tank is empty. Four air-bags at 60psi is more than one fill of the tank which takes 6-10 mins.

Modern cheap 12V tyre inflators are usually about 1.2 CFM but make loads of noise. We could use one of these for better EAS response but it would drive you mad all the time. . . . hence why LR used a quieter high pressure low CFM pump.

In the OP's case, why not remove all the stuff in the EAS housing & fit a decent 12V tyre compressor. You're never gonna use it while driving.

Then re-condition the pump and valve block on the bench, ready for when you re-instate the EAS properly, and put the tyre inflator in the boot !!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now