Difference between low emissions and standard emissions
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difference between low emissions and standard emissions

FRESHMAN ROVER

Difference between low emissions and standard emissions

When I search for a Rover v8 on car part I see the following 3 options for both 4.0 engines:
    low emissions, (VIN 5, 7th digit)
    standard emissions, (VIN 2, 7th digit), secondary air injection
    standard emissions, (VIN 2, 7th digit), w/o secondary air injection

For 4.6 engines there are:
    low emissions, (VIN 6, 7th digit)
    standard emissions, (VIN 4, 7th digit), Canada market, secondary air injection
    standard emissions, (VIN 4, 7th digit), Canada market, w/o secondary air injection
    standard emissions, (VIN 4, 7th digit), US market, secondary air injection
    standard emissions, (VIN 4, 7th digit), US market, w/o secondary air injection

I get the difference between engines with and without Secondary air injection. What are the mechanical differences between the low emissions and standard emissions engines, if there are any? May be compression ratio? Or is the difference in different exhaust and ECU calibration?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Difference between low emissions and standard emissions

Not sure wherre you got your info from but the 7th digit of the VIN tells you it is a P38 (or others). The 8th digit gives more detail on the engine emissions, whether it is high or low compression, with or without cats. See http://www.expeditiongear.co.za/cu5/...IN-Number.aspx. There are also a number of different firmware versions in the GEMS (and I assume Thor too) engine ECU to deal with the different hardware. Only NAS models had SAI.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    Not sure wherre you got your info from but the 7th digit of the VIN tells you it is a P38 (or others). The 8th digit gives more detail on the engine emissions, whether it is high or low compression, with or without cats. See http://www.expeditiongear.co.za/cu5/...IN-Number.aspx. There are also a number of different firmware versions in the GEMS (and I assume Thor too) engine ECU to deal with the different hardware. Only NAS models had SAI.
    Checked mine with your VIN check thingy, engine and gearbox both wrong.. for my P38, with the Disco only the gearbox is wrong..

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Looks like the only options that can be read from the VIN are:
    - High Compression vs Low Compression
    - Cats vs no Cats (NAS P38 should always have Cats, I presume)

The NAS trucks are different from ROW some have Secondary air some don't. All NAS trucks have after-cat O2 sensors. I am wondering if there are other engine variations within NAS? I am looking at swapping a P38 4.6 Bosch engine into an 03 Disco II which came with 4.6 from the factory. The last engines that went into Discos were quite problematic, looking to swap in an engine from a P38.

What are the differences? Oil pan may be? Or should I expect a direct bolt-on?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now