Bodging a buckled dash
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bodging a buckled dash

FRESHMAN ROVER

Bodging a buckled dash

OK, don't hate me - but was told one way to bodge up a heat buckled, glue separated dash on the p38 was to use a few tek screws and go through the dash into the metal frame underneath and just use some touch up paint on the head of the screw. As this is my very cheap off-road toy and I have a dash mat on it is this a possibility? I know its about 3 hours to get the dash out, but if I get it out how do I then reglue/fix it back in? This sounds like a quick bodge if it works?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Bodging a buckled dash

so where is it lifted maybe u can remove the front vents and lift the top skin to get into the area and reglue . top vent should just pull out, be careful it is old brittle plastic.

FRESHMAN ROVER

The lifting is mostly at the windscreen edge. I can remove the screen vents and have a go - another idea to bodge could be to use those spring toggle fixing wall anchors that push through and expand behind a cavity and you can wind them in. A small drill hole through the dash and the plastic support underneath, tighten then cover with a plastic dome or similar.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

maybe a syringe full of contact cement and inject it in , if you are going to put holes in it it wouldn't matter , even cut it and reglue it , as you said its only your cheap 4 wheeler

FRESHMAN ROVER

So I pulled out the window vent to have a better look and its worse than I thought - the glue has pulled away from the black plastic frame, the part I was hoping to re-attach the top piece to. But unfortunately it is also broken / split in many places. If I were to glue or attach the top via the toggles it will achieve nothing. I know the o-rings / blend motors have been worked on in the past and I'm assuming whoever did that managed to crack/split the dash too. Worth a try tho, but not going to work for my situation.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

sounds like it was broken by previous owner , you may need to find another one or maybe fibre glass this one back together , maybe if you acquired some off the wide reinforce tape that is used to put race cars back together and stick it to the inside of the dash . I think you may need another dash thou? either way I think it will have to come out?

JUNIOR ROVER

The dash top on earlier cars do separate from the plastic moulding underneath. Heat might make it worse but nearly all 95-96 cars suffer from it.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Sorry to say, but there isn't an easy solution to your problem.
    In my experience there isn't an effective way to repair the broken plastic dash pieces, especially if its still in the car. You will probably find that the plastic vent ducting has also stated to become fragile and split or cracked in places.
    I removed my original dash from the car, separated the top cover from the plastic and tried to glue/epoxy/fiberglass the dash back together. Nothing worked effectively. In the end I ended up buying three different dashes and Frankensteining one out of them. I used a high temp contact adhesive to glue the top back on and then a UV resistant thread to stitch around the from edge of the dash and also around the vents to hold them down.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks Bravado, I may try and see if I can find some metal frame up near the dash and put a tek screw in - the dash mat is doing a good masking job right now.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now