P38 diesel immobilised Won't zap Key code entry doesn't work
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: P38 diesel immobilised Won't zap Key code entry doesn't work

FRESHMAN ROVER

P38 diesel immobilised Won't zap Key code entry doesn't work

Been running the P38 1999 2.5 DSE for a while now but last week it died. It requested the key code. Carried out as it has happened before but this time it did not work. Tried a few times allowing for the 30 mins or so waiting. Still not result.

Searched on here and tried various methods.

The latch tests were useful nut unfortunately everything was OK.

Tried new batteries in key fob and resynching - no change ( the red light on the fob glows brilliantly!)

Tried the key in position II method - no change.

Checked continuity and condition of all wires in the door, in the boot, under the seat - everything OK

The alarm light on the dash is lit.

All central locking works when you use the internal drivers door sill lock button.

When using the key all doors lock most of the time but usually do not unlock

Plan of attack is ti source a door outstation - (is there a way to test it?

If this fails then look again at the key fob. replace or something????

Then it can only be the BECM????

Any suggestions would be most appreciated as we want to get the old girl running again!

Mike and Roger
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: P38 diesel immobilised Won't zap Key code entry doesn't

This happened to me one time. I went to UPS and went to get back in and the alarm was on and imobilizer was lit on dash. Worked perfect before that.
    I opened the door rolled down all the windows and closed the door and used the key to roll up everything by turning and holding to the right.
    All the windows rolled up and it set the alarm, then I opened the dorr with the key to the left and worked great. It was because my drivers microswitch lock was going out and a few months later I had to replace it.
    Good LUck
    1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    1985 Chevy Corvette 5.7 TPI
    Nano Evolution II(fixes=paid for itself)
    4x SrS reset with nano
    P0183 changed fuel temp sensor OK
    P1179 cleaned maf with maf cleaner OK
    P1314 reset CEL OK (was going thru large puddles when CEL went on).
    Service Engine reset/Adaptive values reset

Quote Originally Posted by Mykle13 View Post
    Been running the P38 1999 2.5 DSE for a while now but last week it died. It requested the key code. Carried out as it has happened before but this time it did not work. Tried a few times allowing for the 30 mins or so waiting. Still not result.

Searched on here and tried various methods.

The latch tests were useful nut unfortunately everything was OK.

Tried new batteries in key fob and resynching - no change ( the red light on the fob glows brilliantly!)

Tried the key in position II method - no change.

Checked continuity and condition of all wires in the door, in the boot, under the seat - everything OK

The alarm light on the dash is lit.

All central locking works when you use the internal drivers door sill lock button.

When using the key all doors lock most of the time but usually do not unlock

Plan of attack is ti source a door outstation - (is there a way to test it?

If this fails then look again at the key fob. replace or something????

Then it can only be the BECM????

Any suggestions would be most appreciated as we want to get the old girl running again!

Mike and Roger
    In what way did it die? did the battery go flat whilst it was locked up?

If so then chances are the BECM is in alarm lockout (as you can tell from the alarm light flashing on the dash still).
    If the door latch tests OK and entering the EKA doesn't work, then chances are that the BECM has scrambled the EKA code or fully locked itself down when the battery went flat. I have the diagnostics to reset the lockouts in the BECM by connecting directly to the main chip and bypassing the normal security, and most of my BECM resets are because it's gone a bit crazy when the battery has gone flat and it's messed with something.

It is recoverable - and you don't lose any settings etc. - that's the good news. The bad news is that it would have to be removed and sent to someone like myself with the tools to reset the lockouts.

Regarding the key fob - with new batteries and the light flashing, that is good - BUT - it won't resync with the vehicle until it it out of the lockout state. The BECM must be in an unlocked/disarmed state before it will allow a key to be synced with it.
    Also, I think the outstation is fine - if you lock all the doors, then chances are it will trigger all the doors to lock... but again whilst in an alarmed state, if you unlock the drivers door with the key, then it will ONLY unlock the drivers door. Usually if it is in a state where it will accept the EKA properly, the last turn of the EKA sequence will disarm the alarm and unlock all the other doors.

I know this doesn't provide an 'at home' fix to the problem, but I hope it helps understand it a bit more. I am working away a lot at the moment, but if you want me to take a look at the BECM and reset the lockouts for you, then drop me a private message and we can discuss the options.

Marty
    ------------------------------------------------
    '01 4.6 Vogue Black/Lightstone "Snog" -- Bought Jan 2012
    '99 4.6 HSE Cobar Blue/Lightstone -- Sold March 2009
    '95 4.6 HSE Epsom Green/Tan -- Traded June 2008
    http://p38webshop.co.uk

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the replies. Xrav22 and Marty nz. Tried Xrav22' method with no luck. Trying a replacement outstation today. Thought to check this as someone said it should click when key in operation and it didn't, plus it was a cheap try.

Understand the battery low problem as the rover isn't in daily use and this was the first thing we checked, but the battery was fine - it's why we can't understand why it happened just out of the blue. AS brother and I were both fanatic landrover series fiends (until we grew up????) we just put it down to "it's a landrover thing!!!"

Gut says BECM is locked out but may be lucky!!!!! I have looked on Marty's webshop so have some idea of what could be done. Will PM later today if no joy! Thanks again Mike

FRESHMAN ROVER

As expected, fitted the outstation and still locked out - although central locking now operational in a fashion. PM sent to Marty NZ. Thanks Mike

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now