Cruise Control dying
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cruise Control dying

FRESHMAN ROVER

Cruise Control dying

For the last 15yrs I have owned and driven daily a '99 4.6 HSE. I have replaced and repaired many parts over years but it is generally in pretty good shape. 225k on clock and still going strong.
    Lately my cruise control dies after about 10 - 20 mins on road. Once it dies it won't start again while driving; and won't work again on day. I've arrived at destinations and left for up to 2 -3 hrs before starting out again. But unlike when first starting, the CC won't turn on at all.
    It seems like when the engine heats up to normal running temp the CC won't work. My regular mechanic and an auto elec can find nothing wrong with the system itself. My mechanic suggests it may be a 'dry' solder joint on control panel; which loses connection when engine heats up.
    I've looked through many many posts but haven't seen anything specifically related.

Anybody got any ideas?? The idea of locating a 'dry' solder joint on control panel doesn't sound feasible??
    CityHog

P.S. On rough surfaces it has more rattles in it than a babies creche. Is this normal for an old P38A? Can rattles be fixed by removing interior panels and reinstalling with better seals and fixings?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Cruise Control dying

Mine was doing the same. I found that the problem was the brake light switch. With wear over time it got to the stage that the adjustment was so fine that once things got warm under the dash, and a little expansion occurred, it would act like yours. The cc disconnects as soon as the brake lights are activated.

I dropped the lower panel to get to the switch, bent the switch bracket a tad in the right direction so the switch operated a little later, i.e. instead of only breathing on the pedal you had to move it a couple of mm, no more problems, factory fresh again.

Yeah I would start looking at all of the vacuum connections and inspect the rubber diaphragm on the actuator in the engine bay, along with the brake switch as mentioned above. From your description it seems like it may be losing vacuum slowly. I just replaced the rubber hoses in mine with silicone which will hopefully bear the heat of the engine bay better over time.
    -Gene

'02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    '87 325is (s52'd)
    '95 525iT

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

https://ejcruz.smugmug.com/Other/Range-Rover-P38/

Time for a AMR 5700 conversion, if you're a bit handy with a soldering iron it's not a difficult job, I did mine, works a treat.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the good tips guys. I'll be looking at all options.

There are set testing procedures in RAVE for the cruise control. I would follow them first. I have found the culprit a few times doing so myself.

Martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with 385hp/385ft lbs of LSx under the hood. Fully functional HVAC, EAS, etc.
    '11 L322 SC
    '04 DiscoII - wheeling rig
    '02 P38, '79 924 for the kids.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.

When mine died it turned out to be the vacuum hoses at the back of the diaphragm.
    Turned out they all had small cracks at the fittings. I tried a couple of things to clamp them but nothing worked until I replaced them.
    Worked fine ever since. Well until the motor destroyed itself.
    1999 & 9/8th's 4.0S (GEMS) 101,000. Died of natural causes.
    1998 Discovery LE Passed on to rock crawler conversion.
    2003 Discovery HSE7 Current Driver.
    1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Callaway (GEMS) 159,000 Current Driver.
    ..... at the feast of egos
    everyone leaves hungry .....

FRESHMAN ROVER

When Dtoyne mentions the brake light switch, there are TWO different switches on the pedal. One is the brake light switch and one is the cruise control cancel switch which connects to the vacuum hose. It's got an o-ring and a spring in it. Take it apart and check it holds vacuum. I replaced all the hoses, including the ones on the diaphragm even though they looked OK. Works perfectly now. I'd start by replacing all the hoses.
    Vehicle is a 2000 Vogue.

Or you could start by doing the tests in RAVE......
    '98 P38 HSE, with 385hp/385ft lbs of LSx under the hood. Fully functional HVAC, EAS, etc.
    '11 L322 SC
    '04 DiscoII - wheeling rig
    '02 P38, '79 924 for the kids.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I did a 'fix' story regarding the ecm - this is just a possibility. Good luck.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-...ntrol-ecm.html
    Don´t shoot the messenger . . . this one shoots back.
    If in doubt use a bigger hammer, put your foot down harder or pull the trigger again . . .
    1996 4.6hse.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now