Main beam 1 and 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Main beam 1 and 2

FRESHMAN ROVER

Question Main beam 1 and 2

So RAVE says if your fog lights are off and you activate the main beams then "main beam 1 and main beam 2" lamps will be activated, if your fog lights are on then when you activate main beams then only "main beam 1" will be activated. Based on that I looked for the wire for main beam 2 because I was wiring in spot lights and didn't want them to come on when the fog lights are on. Rave says the colour for the wire for main beam 2 is blue and purple, so I spliced my trigger wire for the spot light relay into the blue and purple wire. I now have spot lights which trigger with main beams, but they come on regardless of whether the fog lights are on... I've definitely spliced into the correct wire.

Question is: That main beam 1/ main beam 2 activation depending on whether your fog lights are on thing... is that only for certain markets? I've looked at my main beams and can't see any bulbs that don't come on if my fog lights are on/off, etc... basically both my main beams come on whenever I ask for brights.
    '01 4.6 Vogue, Epsom Green/Walnut. a.k.a. Roary

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Main beam 1 and 2

You are correct, RAVE does say the inner main beams don't come on if the front fog lights are on but I don't think mine work that way either. I use my front fog lights as driving lights as they give a nice spread of light right in front of the car and haven't noticed main beam to be any worse than when the fogs are off. If you don't want your spots to come on when the fogs are on, instead of grounding one side of the spot light relay coil, connect it to the live side of the fog light feed. That way the relay will get it's ground via the fog light bulb (which won't light because of the high resistance of the relay coil) when they are off but as it will have 12V on both sides of the coil, won't when they are on.
    97 4.0SE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

FOUNDING MEMBER

Richard, would it not be better just to wire a (5 pin) relay with the feed to the driving lights via the normally closed contacts and the relay solenoid fed off the fog light feed and earthed normally. This way the relay will fire to the normally open contacts and cut the feed to the driving lights when the fog lights are activated. Seems a more elegant solution.
    2001 Vogue . . . . . . and, yes, I do own the road!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

That would work but the driving lights would then be being fed directly in parallel with the main beams rather than through a relay (or you'd need to use two relays). I suspect if the driving lights were wired directly to the main beam circuit, the BeCM would get offended. I tried connecting a rotating beacon to one of the rear light circuits and after a few minutes of working the additional load made it think a bulb had blown and gone short circuit so it cut power to that circuit.

I first came across the relays operating in series with light bulbs trick on a French car where the front fog lights would go out if you selected main beam. Presumably working on the principle that if the fog is light enough to allow you to use main without dazzling yourself then you won't need fog lights (which I believe used to be a legal requirement). That was done the same way only the other way round with the fog light relay operating in series with the main beam bulb.
    97 4.0SE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

FRESHMAN ROVER

> "RAVE does say the inner main beams don't come on if the front fog lights are on but I don't think mine work that way either."

This is actually configurable. I used my IIDTool to change the setting so now my fog lights stay on with highbeam selected.

It in most states to use fog lights and "main beams" at the same time. I changed my BeCM to parking light when ever the engine is running and low beam DTRL I absolutely despise all the cars that use the main beam bulbs DTRLs the instant the engine is running. I always flash them when passing the. it is the worst setting possible when driving on back country roads around someone with their highbeams on comes around the corner or over a hill and the oncoming traffic is instantly blinded.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FOUNDING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    That would work but the driving lights would then be being fed directly in parallel with the main beams rather than through a relay (or you'd need to use two relays). I suspect if the driving lights were wired directly to the main beam circuit, the BeCM would get offended. I tried connecting a rotating beacon to one of the rear light circuits and after a few minutes of working the additional load made it think a bulb had blown and gone short circuit so it cut power to that circuit.

I first came across the relays operating in series with light bulbs trick on a French car where the front fog lights would go out if you selected main beam. Presumably working on the principle that if the fog is light enough to allow you to use main without dazzling yourself then you won't need fog lights (which I believe used to be a legal requirement). That was done the same way only the other way round with the fog light relay operating in series with the main beam bulb.
    Yes, two relays required - wouldn’t recommend stressing the BeCM and main beam wiring with additional lamps just wired in parallel. Relays are ‘cheap as chips’ and would add an in line fuse as well for belt and braces protection.
    2001 Vogue . . . . . . and, yes, I do own the road!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now