Coolant Leak Fix Suggestions (Picture)
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coolant Leak Fix Suggestions (Picture)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Coolant Leak Fix Suggestions (Picture)

Hi All,

2001 RR 4.6: I have a coolant leak where my bleeder hose connects to the radiator spigot. not continuously dripping but when brought up to temp it will puddle up like the picture shows below. Coolant is much cheaper than breaking off the bleeder spigot, but I hate knowing it's leaking. Any suggestions to fix this?
    Coolant Leak Fix Suggestions (Picture)-coolant-leak.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Coolant Leak Fix Suggestions (Picture)

Remove the hose, see if the spigot is cracked or if it is leaking around the clamp. If so, cut off an inch, and use a screw type clamp.
    If the spigot is cracked a bit at it's base, you could try cleaning well and using a good quality epoxy.
    If it snaps off in your hand, that is good in that it will now need to be replaced and will not snap off in the middle of a trip stranding you or potentially toasting the engine!.

JUNIOR ROVER

The pipe looks to me like fuel hose too. Made in US suggests it will be an imperial size and not 8mm like it should be either. Fuel hose goes hard when used with coolant (note how the clip has not sunk into the hose) so it may be that you just need to replace it with something intended for coolant.
    96 4.6HSE
    98 4.0 Police spec
    and a number of others I maintain for the owners.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER

the best repair procedure is to replace the rad as it has run its course and it is brittle, granted the spigot is a bit delicate and on a precarious location but normally does not fail with out human intervention.
    a temporary repair is to install a 2 inch long metal pipe and secure with epoxy, keep in mind it is only a temporary repair as the heat and pressure will expand and weaken the epoxy on a constant manner thus leading to regular follow up and eventually complete failure.
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    The pipe looks to me like fuel hose too. Made in US suggests it will be an imperial size and not 8mm like it should be either. Fuel hose goes hard when used with coolant (note how the clip has not sunk into the hose) so it may be that you just need to replace it with something intended for coolant.

Very good point!
    Noticed the branding after posting. probably too large......need a screw type clamp...... Both ends!
    As for the rad? Does not look too bad.
    change or tighten the hose, and if the spigot is not broken, leave it be.
    1952 Austin Champ (Hawaii)
    1953 Austin Champ (Australia)
    1985 Classic w/ Tdi300 (Australia)
    2002 4.6 HSE, White "Bolt" Hawaii Daily driver. Now the "Boat Car" here on the West Coast
    2002 4.6 HSE Borrego Yellow "Digby" Wife has absconded with Borrego as the Dog Taxi

JUNIOR ROVER

I'm not sure I agree about using a screw clamp. The small sizes are the worst, they tend to oval and not put even pressure 360 degrees on the hose. Stick with the stock or Oetiker style clamp. Or T-bolt style clamp but I haven't seen them this small. If you ever work with vacuum or gas connections, it teaches you how bad screw clamps are.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

A good quality properly sized screw and band type hose clamp will work just fine.
    The trouble happens when you use one larger than intended.
    In that case, your point is completely valid, they will not seal properly.

JUNIOR ROVER

Sure, it probably will work fine at these relatively low pressures. But its not an upgrade over the stock spring clamp. No reason to change them out unless they get bent or broken.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

yup, replace the radiator someone previously went off on a steroid induced fit and broke the nipple off you can see the epoxy they thought would work to hold it.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

Hey Toadie?
    Would you care to elucidate on the epoxy theory?
    All I see is an slightly oversized piece of hose and some dried mineral salts, as well as the puddled coolant the OP alluded to.
    I see no evidence of a repair having been made?
    Still say to get the correct size hose and clamp, or the stock pipe and hose assembly.
    In the meantime, perhaps Drinkhard could fill us in on the state of the nipple?

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal RR View Post
    Sure, it probably will work fine at these relatively low pressures. But its not an upgrade over the stock spring clamp. No reason to change them out unless they get bent or broken.
    I find the stock spring clamps tend to lose clamping force after being removed several times, so a correctly sized screw clamp is definitely an upgrade. And gives you some feedback on the clamping force, especially when using non-standard hoses.

Filip
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': current daily
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper', built for offroad with tuned 4.6 on MS: lost in fire
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': awaiting attention
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired and stripped
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie' TR2 racer: sold

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Escape View Post
    I find the stock spring clamps tend to lose clamping force after being removed several times, so a correctly sized screw clamp is definitely an upgrade. And gives you some feedback on the clamping force, especially when using non-standard hoses.
    I know that this seems like a logical conclusion but if research this a bit, you will find many telling you not to use worm drive clamps on auto cooling systems. Its probably why the little plastic nipple gets broken in the first place. My own experience with screw clamps failing is with other application using higher pressure or vacuum systems, for those, band clamps are the ticket. But for automotive the typical recommendation is to stay with spring clamps due to the heating and cooling cycles. Screw clamps are great for emergencies but pretty much nothing else. Not that this guy is the definative expert but one of many recommending spring clamps. http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...e/clamps-hoses
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

JUNIOR ROVER

If you care about your car, just do it properly and replace the radiator. Bodges, work-arounds or whatever you want to call them will only give trouble, and one day cause an overheat costing much more. https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/radiato...850-p-378.html

The main reason spring clamps are used in automotive, is ease of production. If you have to do 1000s of clamps, saving a bit of time on each will save a lot of money. That doesn't mean it's the better solution. I still prefer a properly tightened screw or band clamp to a fit-and-forget spring. There were used on cars for many decades, only when automated production took off the spring clamps became popular.
    4.0 SE manual, 1997, 'Priscilla': current daily
    4.0 SE manual, 1995, 'Piper', built for offroad with tuned 4.6 on MS: lost in fire
    4.6 SE auto, 1995, 'Prue': awaiting attention
    2.5 DT manual, 1996, 'Paige': retired and stripped
    D90 TD5, 2005, 'Nessie' TR2 racer: sold

JUNIOR ROVER

Escape - Is this turning into an argument for the sake of it? Sure, manufacturers use spring clamps to save money. But the cost of the clamp is nothing. A spring clamp is selected by an engineer based on its tension. It supplies a constant, 360 degree compression. Its cheaper to install, doesn't require a specific torque value and doesn't fail. Its better and cheaper. This type of design is covered in SAE standards. A worm clamp can be used per SAE spec for special applications but requires a torque spec and periodic tightening. So if you think something is wrong with the coolant hose clamps in a P38, by all means redesign them with the proper width, proper torque, and periodically confirm they haven't loosened. If your OEM clamps have carried you this far without a leak, I suggest sticking with the OEM clamp. Changing out your clamps with screw clamps reminds me of things like randomly cutting holes in air boxes or arbitrarily up sizing your exhaust pipes. I'm sure the engineers could have saved on their education and just used good common sense.
    '99 Range Rover HSE
    '02 Audi S6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now